Stargate Universe, anyone?

Just what it says on the tin.

Moderators: justTripn, Elessar, dark_rain

Aquarius
Site Admin

Re: Stargate Universe, anyone?

Postby Aquarius » Tue Oct 27, 2009 2:18 pm

I finally got to watch the latest episode last night. I like the little insights we're getting into Greer's character. So far he's captured my attention the most.

SPOILER!!!:
Yeah, the flying into the sun thing was a little predictable, but then I reminded myself, to the characters, only about a day passes on each episode, so they haven't had a whole week between situations to think about it like we have in between events. Something the writers might want to start keeping in mind.

As for Eli and the senator's daughter, unrequited love has always been a popular theme in fiction and always will be. If they handle it right it can be a good source of dramatic tension; if not, it'll be a cliche.

Eian built my avatar! Banner by Misplaced!

TPoptarts
Commodore
Commodore
Show On Map: No

Postby TPoptarts » Tue Oct 27, 2009 7:22 pm

SPOILER!!!:
Actually the week between episodes isn't what made it predictable for me, not that I'd be thinking about SGU between episodes anyway (I'm too busy thinking about Justice League all the time :p :roll: ) so it really didn't contribute to the predictability of the episode arc, for me anyway. Because like ever since the beginning I was just thinking like "okay dude you're out of power, and you're in outer space. Like why don't you go find a sun or something!!" Well and wouldn't you know it, they actually did... took them forever, but they did. :roll: Now let's see how many episodes they're gonna waste looking for food before they realize the ship has replicators and live stock in the cargo bay :p
ImageImage

WarpGirl
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Postby WarpGirl » Wed Oct 28, 2009 3:21 am

I'm really glad I'm not bothering with this one. No SG magic and predictability? No thank you!
Some of these people haven't taken their medication. Let's see what happens now...
Donna Moss: The West Wing

And by people WG had herself in mind, but then the quote would have been ruined.
Fics
May We Together Become Greater Than The Sum Of Us
*Rights,* Wrongs, and Choices

Kevin Thomas Riley
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Postby Kevin Thomas Riley » Sat Mar 06, 2010 7:38 pm

They've just started to air SGU over here and today I watched the 2-hour pilot. It was all right, but nothing Earth-shattering. I liked the darker, grittier feel of it even if it comes off as trying to do a Stargate does VOY/DS9 thing. But I liked the design of the Destiny.

Apart from Carlyle none in the cast really stood out, except maybe that Eli geek guy. Carlyle was good and will probably be the one who'll carry this show for me. Eli seems to be some geek-wish-fulfilment character and something of a Gary Stu for a certain part of the viewing audience. I mean, what geeky gamer wouldn't want to play a game and then be told he has skills that will whisk him off into outer space.

As for most of the rest of the cast, I had trouble picking them out in the dark. Who's a main character and who's a guest star?

I wasn't surprised that the Senator sacrificed himself. It was written all over him when we learned he had little chance of surviving.

I thought Ming-Na would have a bigger part, but I guess that will come later. And wasn't Lou Diamond Phillips supposed to be a main character? He isn't even on the ship.
She's got an awfully nice bum!
-Malcolm Reed on T'Pol, in Shuttlepod One

Distracted
Site Donor

Postby Distracted » Sun Mar 07, 2010 1:30 am

He'll get there. They've got some funky body-switching technology.
Image sig by chrisis1033

Kevin Thomas Riley
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Postby Kevin Thomas Riley » Sat Mar 20, 2010 6:26 pm

I saw the fourth episode Darkness today and I quite liked it. I may come to enjoy this show more than I previously thought.

The nerdy guy, Eli, and the senator's daughter, Chloe, looks like they could be a cute couple. But then I saw a promo pic with her and that young LT guy and thought noooo, not another stupid triangle/will they, won't they plot.

Then there was this female LT (Vanessa something?) that looked great in a tank top and hot pants! :drool: Hope she sticks around, even if she's not in the main cast.

crystalswolf
Commander
Commander

Postby crystalswolf » Sat Mar 20, 2010 7:29 pm

SPOILER!!!:
I saw the preview clips and thought I recognized Rhona Mitra (Underworld 3). She is in it! Personally, I wished Chloe would have been the one to sacrifice herself instead of her father. she's constantly crying out "Eli" in a whiny voice and doesn't seem to have any purpose but to lead the poor boy on while enticing Mr. (I guess to someone in the universe) Perfect. For the most part I like the show, especially the darkest part where they left Rush behind. But they need to tighten some storylines by giving their characters purpose for taking up their air.

Kevin Thomas Riley
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Postby Kevin Thomas Riley » Fri Apr 23, 2010 10:30 pm

I've now seen the first nine episodes and I have discovered what I don't like about this show - those ancient communication stones. Gah, what a cop-out, just so that the stranded crew can "go back" to Earth (sort of) from time to time. I'd have preferred that they were really, really lost out there. And the way they are shown as themselves (most of the time, anyway) even if they are in different bodies, is just confusing. So I hope they will get rid of those stones.

And I didn't like the episode Time. It was obvious that it would be a reset button when Chloe got killed, and then another reset when Lt James died. And then they didn't even show the final reset. The episode just ended and it was assumed. What a waste.

But some of the chicks have warmed up to me, not just the busty lieutenant. Chloe (Elyse Levesque) is actually pretty cute, and Lt Johansen (Alaina Huffman) is not bad looking. Chloe's character has also got some development, but I'm afraid I can't say the same for Johansen.

ginamr
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Postby ginamr » Thu Apr 29, 2010 4:44 pm

Between this and SG-1, I've officially turned my fiance into a Stargate geek! :lol: He loves it. He even wants to go with me to a convention to meet Richard Dean Anderson. :-p I'm a Michael Shanks fanatic myself. Though there's a fine line...I think I may know more about the character than the man himself...so I guess I'm more of a Michael Shanks as Daniel Jackson fanatic. :drool: :lol: The character of Daniel Jackson goes from geek to sassy and sexy in no time flat. Shanks did a great job portraying Daniel. :loveeyes:
New:
Coming Home: Five+Epilogue
6.06: Fall Out

Under Construction:
The Prank War 2
Secret Meetings, Story Two--Wet
6.07: Vestiges of Qualor
Coming This Christmas (December 2012): White Christmas
Hybrid: Prologue & Chapter One--Inspired by Aquarius's "Tag" challenge.

WarpGirl
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Postby WarpGirl » Sat May 01, 2010 7:23 pm

Oh AGREED! :loveeyes: :loveeyes: :loveeyes: :loveeyes: :loveeyes: :loveeyes: :loveeyes: :loveeyes:
Some of these people haven't taken their medication. Let's see what happens now...
Donna Moss: The West Wing

And by people WG had herself in mind, but then the quote would have been ruined.
Fics
May We Together Become Greater Than The Sum Of Us
*Rights,* Wrongs, and Choices

Aquarius
Site Admin

Postby Aquarius » Sat May 01, 2010 11:27 pm

I hear that Shanks is kind of a jerk IRL. Some of the artists who go to Media West were kind of "in" with him for a while, but I understand it went sour due to him being a prima donna.
Eian built my avatar! Banner by Misplaced!

crystalswolf
Commander
Commander

Postby crystalswolf » Sat May 08, 2010 1:19 pm

Okay, last night's episode was a very interesting rollercoaster ride for me.
SPOILER!!!:
I was completely disgusted with Mr. (Not) Perfect, Miss "Eli!" Chloe, and Eli returning the way they did. Although I wasn't looking forward to Triangle concentrate, I was looking forward to some angst about the situation.

I did, however, LOVE the storyline where Amanda appreciated the experience with a functional body while Camile experienced Amanda's restrictions (I especially loved how she seemed a little more than shaken from the whole experience after returning to Destiny). I found it very touching and I even felt bad for Rush in all of this. Eli's reaction was great though "Rush?"

There was one situation that I was torn by. When it seemed as though Rush and Amanda might have sex, a possible storyline popped into my head. As many hookups as there have been, I'm sure the amount of birth control is low if any available at all. How would Camile, a lesbian in a strong, long term relationship feel about not only having her body used that way but pregnant with Rush's kid. I think this would have made a better, more complex pregnancy story than the one they have now, but since they already have the doctor pregnant, an added one would only seem soap opera-ish.

On the other hand, would it be realistic to believe only one person under their circumstances would become pregnant? Therefore, I'm torn.

Kevin Thomas Riley
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Postby Kevin Thomas Riley » Sun Jun 13, 2010 5:20 pm

Kevin Thomas Riley
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Postby Kevin Thomas Riley » Sat Jul 17, 2010 3:16 pm

EntAllat
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander
Google Talk: EntAllat

Postby EntAllat » Tue Jul 20, 2010 5:27 pm

Weighing in!

SGU took a few episodes to grow on me but I have to admit that I really like it now and I'm looking forward to more. My favorite characters are Eli (the nerd) and Greer (the black military guy) and Rush (the scientist)> The latter is one of those complex, you love-to-hate-him-but-sometimes-hes-infuriatingly-right kind of guys.

I really like the fact that most of the first season dealt with the basics of survival for the group: water, food, understanding the ship itself, personality and professional conflicts, the way people deal with (or didn't) loneliness and depression. There's been a lot of emphasis on character development in this show. There's a lot of interesting stuff for the writers to work with.

Return to “General Chat”