What are you...

Just what it says on the tin.

Moderators: justTripn, Elessar, dark_rain

Snorpenbass
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Re: What are you...

Postby Snorpenbass » Wed Aug 10, 2011 10:46 am

WarpGirl wrote:Well Robin Hood is one of the most incredible stories because it HAS evolved over many centuries. The very first incarnation Robin Hood was a selfish trickster, conman, highwayman, and all around sleeze. Maid Marian first appears in the tales as a whore! Every incarnation is an evolution based of the values of the times. The 1938 Errol Flynn version drew heavily on the Victorian era, but influences of a determined powerful Marian were developing. The BBC series was WONDERFUL until they killed Marian. I know someone was high on something when that idea was implimented, it's the only explanation.

By the BBC one you mean the latest one? Yeah, I hated it. They were obviously going for some kind of gray-scale ambivalence and mild foe-yay with Robin and the guy who killed Marian, etcetera, and...it just didn't work. Methinks one of the lead writers watched Torchwood and got all the wrong ideas from it.

There was a late 90's one, too, where everyone had even worse accents than in the Costner one, that was more like some weird cross between Xena and that Merlin miniseries (the Sam Neill one) without being as good as either.

For Robin Hood TV-shows, there's been three that I kinda liked. Maid Marian & her Merry Men was a lot of fun, the few episodes I got to see. Then there's a Danish one that played with the whole concept, using a local medieval folk hero to poke fun at all medieval folk heroes, especially Robin Hood (the recurring gag with grapnels *always* falling back down to hit someone on the head was brilliance and way before the Simpsons and Family Guy turned repeating a joke to unfunny and back to funny again into their Thing), but I can't remember the name of the show. Early to mid-80s, IIRC.

But my absolute fave is Robin of Sherwood, an old fairly low-budget show from the 80's. It's fairly blatant fantasy, but it's heavily steeped in actual medieval myths and lore, where gods are usually very eerie and frightening things...and they used the whole "more than one Robin Hood"-idea by having it be a *title*, not a name. The Costner movie stole the idea of a foreign Muslim member from it (a Saracen, actually, Moors being dominant a bit later in history), by the way.
http://www.fanfiction.net/u/2315451/

"Why, it would take some kind of enormous egomaniac to dare quote themselves in their own sig!"
--Snorpenbass

WarpGirl
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Postby WarpGirl » Wed Aug 10, 2011 2:09 pm

I refuse to watch the Costner movie on principle. I liked the BBC version. I liked the fact that they kept the humor, themes of nobility, and irreverence. I liked the fact that Robin was imperfect and had issues with what happened in the Crusades. I liked Much, and Will Scarlet. I wasn't thrilled with Alan A'Dale, I thought Guisborne was a all over the map and I didn't care for that either. But I have to admit I enjoyed the sherriff. He was a brilliant villian for Robin Hood. There was nothing flat about him. Kind of like Prince John in the 1938 version, only more psychotic.

What killed the whole thing was killing off Marian! I still can't figure out why!
Some of these people haven't taken their medication. Let's see what happens now...
Donna Moss: The West Wing

And by people WG had herself in mind, but then the quote would have been ruined.
Fics
May We Together Become Greater Than The Sum Of Us
*Rights,* Wrongs, and Choices

Silverbullet
Commodore
Commodore
Show On Map: No

Postby Silverbullet » Wed Aug 10, 2011 2:49 pm

Wasn't there a BBC TV series titled Robin Hood starring richard Green?

SB
I am Retired. Having a good time IS my job

WarpGirl
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Postby WarpGirl » Wed Aug 10, 2011 2:56 pm

Not BBC and that was in the 50's it was pretty good as well but I just have a crush on Richard Green.
Some of these people haven't taken their medication. Let's see what happens now...

And by people WG had herself in mind, but then the quote would have been ruined.
Fics

Kevin Thomas Riley
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Postby Kevin Thomas Riley » Fri Aug 12, 2011 9:09 pm

...watching?

Encounter at Farpoint. Pretty dismal episode if you ask me. But I just got the complete TNG box set for just $137 so I decided to make my Trek DVD collection complete. Soon they'll release a VOY box set for the same price so I'm going to get that one too. All that's left after that to get is the TOS animated series.
She's got an awfully nice bum!
-Malcolm Reed on T'Pol, in Shuttlepod One

Kotik

Postby Kotik » Fri Aug 12, 2011 9:15 pm

LOL, KTR, I watched it too today as a re-run in TV. The original was bad, but the German dubbed version is shockingly abysmal. Hell, it's so bad, it's actually funny :lol:

WarpGirl
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Postby WarpGirl » Fri Aug 12, 2011 9:17 pm

Why spend money on the box sets of Treks you don't like? Not that I have 137$ to do that with. But I don't see the point.

Fics

Kevin Thomas Riley
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Postby Kevin Thomas Riley » Fri Aug 12, 2011 9:47 pm

WarpGirl wrote:Why spend money on the box sets of Treks you don't like? Not that I have 137$ to do that with. But I don't see the point.

1) I'm a completist
2) It's still Star Trek and science fiction, so it's better than most other TV
3) They did have some good, even excellent, episodes and storylines
4) Considering what Trek seasons normally costs, $137 is dirt cheap
5) I might pick up on reviewing again

WarpGirl
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Postby WarpGirl » Fri Aug 12, 2011 9:54 pm

1) I can understand that.

2) True.

3) YES!

4) Well I can't say I find it cheap, but I don't get much money from the government, and I can't work. So no such luxeries for me. :(

5) PLEASE OH PLEASE DO! They cheer me up quicker than alcohol.

Fics

Kotik

Postby Kotik » Sat Aug 13, 2011 12:11 pm

doing...

making the most of a long weekend...

Et jibt keen Bier uff Hawaii, et jibt keen Bier
Drum fahrn' wa nich nach Hawaii, drum bleim wa' hier.

ImageImageImageImageImageImage

Silverbullet
Commodore
Commodore

Postby Silverbullet » Sat Aug 13, 2011 12:31 pm

Kotik "Im Himmel der gibt kein Bier"

SB
I am Retired. Having a good time IS my job

Grrr
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Postby Grrr » Sat Aug 13, 2011 6:43 pm

Tell him to marry that girl! :tears:

http://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g2 ... awaii.html

Yes, I'm in a weird mood today.

Grrr

Kevin Thomas Riley
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Postby Kevin Thomas Riley » Mon Aug 15, 2011 12:44 am

WarpGirl wrote:5) PLEASE OH PLEASE DO! They cheer me up quicker than alcohol.

Be careful what you wish for... :twisted:

WarpGirl
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Postby WarpGirl » Mon Aug 15, 2011 12:54 am

I don't have to agree with you in order to enjoy the way you write.

What am I doing... I'm actually writing an artical that I'm gonna try to submit to a few magazines. :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops:

Fics

Distracted
Site Donor

Postby Distracted » Mon Aug 15, 2011 1:20 am

What's the article about?
Image sig by chrisis1033

Return to “General Chat”