Just what it says on the tin.

Moderators: justTripn, Elessar, dark_rain

Silverbullet
Commodore
Commodore
Show On Map: No

Re: What are you...

Postby Silverbullet » Mon Aug 08, 2011 9:48 pm

THE Robin Hood is the 1939 version starring Errol Flyn, Basil Rathbone and some very good character actors of the time.

SB
I am Retired. Having a good time IS my job

WarpGirl
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Postby WarpGirl » Mon Aug 08, 2011 9:52 pm

It's actually 1938
Some of these people haven't taken their medication. Let's see what happens now...
Donna Moss: The West Wing

And by people WG had herself in mind, but then the quote would have been ruined.
Fics
May We Together Become Greater Than The Sum Of Us
*Rights,* Wrongs, and Choices

Kotik

Postby Kotik » Mon Aug 08, 2011 10:15 pm

doing?

Sitting at home, being in an awfully foul mood. Read a story on ff.net from an author, who I'm sure is a member here as well. Wrote a brilliant story that can rival TransWarp's "Command", but upon reading the sequel, I nearly blew a gasket, because it degenerated into a 30.000 words behemoth of the usual how-to-contrive-to-keep-them-apart angstfest that everyobe seems to think is a must in a TnT story.

I'm off to read a TLR story on HoT, before I feel the urge to get hopelessly bladdered again :( Dammit, why do talented people ruin great stories with useless contrived angst sh*t :deadhorse:

WarpGirl
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Postby WarpGirl » Mon Aug 08, 2011 10:36 pm

Because to other people it isn't useless contrived angst. It's personal taste. And that person probably worked extremely hard on it. But I'm just guessing.
Some of these people haven't taken their medication. Let's see what happens now...

And by people WG had herself in mind, but then the quote would have been ruined.
Fics

Kotik

Postby Kotik » Mon Aug 08, 2011 10:58 pm

Well, I've seen a lot of good stories that kept them apart for a time, but jeez, 18 chapters (~60.000 words) of it? Why writing a TnT story if you let them suffer for 18 bloody chapters :? Didn't we get enough of that ridiculous junk on the actual show? Who would enjoy such a thing :shock:

WarpGirl
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Postby WarpGirl » Mon Aug 08, 2011 11:06 pm

That's my point though, EVERYBODY IS DIFFERENT! Some people find that if the situation is plausible, and well written, they can handle a lot of angst. Other people just like agnst no matter WHAT. And just because you don't like it doesn't mean that (it's a word I won't use).

When you rant like that it scares people Kotik. If you don't like it, fine. Say it wasn't your cup of tea. If it was badly written you can leave constructive criticism. There is a better way to express yourself. Even my 15 year old cousin who is no prize knows that.

Fics

Kotik

Postby Kotik » Mon Aug 08, 2011 11:19 pm

As if I would scare anyone :badgrin: No, I just had to vent my frustration. :? That's why I did it here instead of leaving a comment inb the review section that'd burn through the screen, which I considered for a moment...

WarpGirl
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Postby WarpGirl » Mon Aug 08, 2011 11:28 pm

You do scare me sometimes. And I'm sorry but saying someone's story is ---- and makes you want to get drunk is never ever a proper way to "vent frustration." Nobody deserves that no matter where you post it.

Fics

Kotik

Postby Kotik » Mon Aug 08, 2011 11:33 pm

I didn't post the name of author and story for a reason ;) And besides, I still do not understand, why one would be a TnT shipper (which you are if you sign up here) and then take joy in see them NOT be together for the entire duration of two long chaptered stories - that's just ridiculous in my book. Sorry :?

WarpGirl
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Postby WarpGirl » Mon Aug 08, 2011 11:47 pm

Kotik wrote:I didn't post the name of author and story for a reason ;) And besides, I still do not understand, why one would be a TnT shipper (which you are if you sign up here) and then take joy in see them NOT be together for the entire duration of two long chaptered stories - that's just ridiculous in my book. Sorry :?

But that is only your opinion. I'm sorry but what you posted before was just plain rude. It doesn't matter that you did not identify the Author or the Story. It was horribly rude. Your quote above made you point and was far less offensive. Plus the fact that you said that you were certain this person was also a member here and posted your "frustration" here seems like you were hoping they see it and think it might have been intended for them. Which is not a very kind thing to do.

Fics

Snorpenbass
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Postby Snorpenbass » Tue Aug 09, 2011 1:22 pm

WarpGirl wrote:Enjoy your rest, I have no idea why but on my TV today there is every crappy version of Robin Hood ever made. I'm in agony here. Kevin Costner's is rediculous (he didn't even try to have an accent) Russel Crow's is just dreary and depressing, and SYFY had a version on last night with some kind of freaky warewolf in it. I TURNED THAT OFF FAST! Why is everyone destroying Robin Hood these days?

My own personal favorites of the Robin Hoods are actually:

"Robin and Marian" with Sean Connery and Audrey Hepburn. An elderly Robin Hood reunites with his long lost love and friends for one last stand. Very good movie, and darkly funny in the tune of the original folk tales (it begins with Robin and Little John in jail for having pointed out to King Richard that he's a bit of an ass).

"Robin Hood", a made-for-TV movie with Patrick Bergin, Uma Thurman and Jürgen Prochnow. It's more historically correct (the Normans are actual French people, not Upper Class English as so often depicted, prince John isn't a complete monster and Richard is no saintly king, the whole conflict is actually rather petty) as far as depicting the era goes, though naturally the story itself is made up. And Bergin strikes a nice balance between serious and mischievous.

Thing is, the image people have of Robin Hood often differs depending on what they were introduced to the character with. Me, I actually read a collection of the original, sort of, folk tales, so when I watched Errol Flynn's version I wondered who the heck the ridiculous guy in tights was, and why he was rambling about liberty and rightful kings. The original Robin Hood would have drunk Flynn's Hood under the table, robbed him blind, and walked away laughing. He was more of an old-school selfish trickster than a smiling rebel leader.

...that said, the Costner version is awful. Only thing that saves any of it is Alan Rickman's brilliant Sheriff, and that's only as compared to some other versions. Him and Michael Wincott feels like they were the only ones of the main cast (apart from Freeman, who is of the Michael Caine school of acting, that is he doesn't give a crap how bad a movie is as long as he gets nicely paid) realizing how incredibly ridiculous the movie truly was. The Russell Crowe version I boycott on a general dislike of it. "And cancel Christmas!" :D

As for what I'm doing...procrastinating because I'm facing a major life changer within less than two weeks and need a quick breather to plot and plan.
http://www.fanfiction.net/u/2315451/

"Why, it would take some kind of enormous egomaniac to dare quote themselves in their own sig!"
--Snorpenbass

Kotik

Postby Kotik » Tue Aug 09, 2011 1:24 pm

I've only seen one Robin Hood film in my life in 1991 IIRC, but it had a scene of attempted rape in it - that's when I left the cinema :?

WarpGirl
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Postby WarpGirl » Tue Aug 09, 2011 6:40 pm

Snorpenbass wrote:My own personal favorites of the Robin Hoods are actually:

"Robin and Marian" with Sean Connery and Audrey Hepburn. An elderly Robin Hood reunites with his long lost love and friends for one last stand. Very good movie, and darkly funny in the tune of the original folk tales (it begins with Robin and Little John in jail for having pointed out to King Richard that he's a bit of an ass).

"Robin Hood", a made-for-TV movie with Patrick Bergin, Uma Thurman and Jürgen Prochnow. It's more historically correct (the Normans are actual French people, not Upper Class English as so often depicted, prince John isn't a complete monster and Richard is no saintly king, the whole conflict is actually rather petty) as far as depicting the era goes, though naturally the story itself is made up. And Bergin strikes a nice balance between serious and mischievous.

Thing is, the image people have of Robin Hood often differs depending on what they were introduced to the character with. Me, I actually read a collection of the original, sort of, folk tales, so when I watched Errol Flynn's version I wondered who the heck the ridiculous guy in tights was, and why he was rambling about liberty and rightful kings. The original Robin Hood would have drunk Flynn's Hood under the table, robbed him blind, and walked away laughing. He was more of an old-school selfish trickster than a smiling rebel leader.

...that said, the Costner version is awful. Only thing that saves any of it is Alan Rickman's brilliant Sheriff, and that's only as compared to some other versions. Him and Michael Wincott feels like they were the only ones of the main cast (apart from Freeman, who is of the Michael Caine school of acting, that is he doesn't give a crap how bad a movie is as long as he gets nicely paid) realizing how incredibly ridiculous the movie truly was. The Russell Crowe version I boycott on a general dislike of it. "And cancel Christmas!" :D

As for what I'm doing...procrastinating because I'm facing a major life changer within less than two weeks and need a quick breather to plot and plan.

Well Robin Hood is one of the most incredible stories because it HAS evolved over many centuries. The very first incarnation Robin Hood was a selfish trickster, conman, highwayman, and all around sleeze. Maid Marian first appears in the tales as a whore! Every incarnation is an evolution based of the values of the times. The 1938 Errol Flynn version drew heavily on the Victorian era, but influences of a determined powerful Marian were developing. The BBC series was WONDERFUL until they killed Marian. I know someone was high on something when that idea was implimented, it's the only explanation.

Fics

Distracted
Site Donor
Show On Map: No

Postby Distracted » Tue Aug 09, 2011 7:57 pm

...doing?

Having lunch after getting a massage. I'm tingling all over. It was MAAAAARVELOUS. Aren't vacations so much fun?
Image sig by chrisis1033

WarpGirl
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Postby WarpGirl » Tue Aug 09, 2011 8:00 pm

:clap:

Fics

Return to “General Chat”