What are you...

Just what it says on the tin.

Moderators: justTripn, Elessar, dark_rain

Pitseleh
Commander
Commander

Re: What are you...

Postby Pitseleh » Sat Sep 11, 2010 7:17 pm

So, redeemable "teen" movies are often based on better books or plays. Clueless (based on Emma) and 10 Things I Hate About You (based on Taming of the Shrew) are two of my feel-good guilty pleasures.

...doing? Unpacking. Back home after 10 outstanding days with my friends in Florida. And I have to admit I was quite disappointed by the Gators as well (I was at the Swamp, yey!). Just realized I forgot to pack one of my fave white t-shirts...

School on Monday :cry:
Image for avatar found in Enterprise Oddities; created by ivymae

WarpGirl
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Postby WarpGirl » Sat Sep 11, 2010 7:38 pm

OK I admit it Amanda Bynes RULES! She's The Man is a totally awesome version of Twelth Night, which I loved. There was another one too, I can't think of it right now... And I find her a much more "natural" actress than Ms. Silverstone. She just did a re-make of The Scarlet Letter that looks interesting.
Some of these people haven't taken their medication. Let's see what happens now...
Donna Moss: The West Wing

And by people WG had herself in mind, but then the quote would have been ruined.
Fics
May We Together Become Greater Than The Sum Of Us
*Rights,* Wrongs, and Choices

enterprikayak
Token Canadian
Token Canadian
Show On Map: No

Postby enterprikayak » Sat Sep 11, 2010 7:46 pm

WarpGirl wrote:... And I find her a much more "natural" actress than Ms. Silverstone.

read: doesn't chew her mouth while she's talking
|||||||||enterpriseScrybe & enterpriseScrybe2 TrekVids||||||||| www.trekref.info|||||||||www.TriaxTpolitan.com|||||||||
"Let's be honest with ourselves: there's nothing easy about the life we've chosen. But we don't do it because it's easy, dammit!
We do it because the tits are big and the bat'leths are sharp and the ships are fast!"

WarpGirl
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Postby WarpGirl » Sat Sep 11, 2010 7:49 pm

That and her eyes don't bug out of her head when doing a scene with a hottie like Colin Firth! :twisted:
Some of these people haven't taken their medication. Let's see what happens now...

And by people WG had herself in mind, but then the quote would have been ruined.
Fics

Kevin Thomas Riley
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Postby Kevin Thomas Riley » Sat Sep 11, 2010 7:55 pm

Redeemable teen movies...!? :lol:

All right, I'll admit to having a soft spot for some I saw when I was growing up. Breakfast Club, Can't Buy Me Love, Some Kind of Wonderful... Probably just nostalgia. I don't think any of them were based on Shakespeare though.
She's got an awfully nice bum!
-Malcolm Reed on T'Pol, in Shuttlepod One

aadarshinah
Captain
Captain

Postby aadarshinah » Sat Sep 11, 2010 8:00 pm

The only value of teen movies I've seen is for when adults are in a slump and need something silly to watch....

Then agan, some of my fondest memories of sophmore year are of me, my quasi-roommate, and one of my floor-mates crass=hing a TV lounge on Fridays after class with pizza and whatever old VHS movies we could find. Half the time I think they ended up being Sailor Moon tapes that one of the Korean students 10 years before had left behind, and the rest were Disney.

crystalswolf
Commander
Commander

Postby crystalswolf » Sat Sep 11, 2010 8:50 pm

Oooh... favorite retellings...

"Bride and Prejudice" / "Bridget Jones' Diary" (Pride and Prejudice) tie as best retelling of that story
"She's the Man" (Twelfth Night)was cute but I do prefer the looser, older adaptation "Just One of the Guys"
"Clueless" (Emma) of course
"10 Things I Hate About You" (Taming of the Shrew) although I do get warm fuzzies when I remember the "Moonlighting" version too

And I have to add this in... "Ever After" (Cinderella)

I think I may have a movie night ;)

WarpGirl
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Postby WarpGirl » Sat Sep 11, 2010 9:17 pm

How did I forget Ever After? :duh:

Fics

Misplaced
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander
Twitter username: Misplacedmama

Postby Misplaced » Sat Sep 11, 2010 10:14 pm

Ever After brings out my extremely dormant romantic side. Love that film.

I also love, love, love Bollywood flicks. Too much fun, those.

One of my favorites (not really bollywood): Bend It Like Beckham.

And a quirky favorite: Strictly Ballroom.

Teeny-bopper movie that I have seen more than once willingly: She's All That
Officially retired from writing Trek fanfiction.

aadarshinah
Captain
Captain

Postby aadarshinah » Sat Sep 11, 2010 10:34 pm

As long as we're on the subject of movie retellings,

Just watched Iron Man on Netflix, mostly 'cause it was there, but also 'cause I saw Iron Man 2 with my brother over the summer and wanted to see how the fiasco all began. I'm amazed to report it had a plot. I'm still in shock.

Misplaced
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Postby Misplaced » Sat Sep 11, 2010 10:57 pm

LOVE Iron Man. FANTASTIC MOVIE!! Love Robert Downey, Jr. I like the first more than the second. Far more.

I think, though that the newer Batman films with Christian Bale are probably the best "comic book to film" ever done, though.

Pitseleh
Commander
Commander

Postby Pitseleh » Sun Sep 12, 2010 12:38 am

Heh, I guess "redeemable teen movies" is quite the silly term, but you cannot get anything more predictable and cliched than a teen movie. But :lol: I have to say that my fave of the older ones is Say Anything, and I cannot watch anything with Freddie Prinze Jr. in it. Cannot stand his acting...
Image for avatar found in Enterprise Oddities; created by ivymae

Kevin Thomas Riley
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Postby Kevin Thomas Riley » Sun Sep 12, 2010 12:45 am

There are other redeeming qualities in "redeemable teen movies" - hot girls! :-p
She's got an awfully nice bum!
-Malcolm Reed on T'Pol, in Shuttlepod One

WarpGirl
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Postby WarpGirl » Sun Sep 12, 2010 12:58 am

I think this one should be entitles what am I not doing: I am not killing my dog! Even though he tore apart the trash ALL OVER MY HOUSE. And ATE ALL OF MY CHOCOLATE CARAMELS, which I swore were out of his reach!!!! :explode: :explode: :explode: :explode: :explode: :explode: :explode: :explode: :explode: :explode: :explode: :explode: :explode: :explode: :explode: :explode: :explode: :explode: :explode: :explode: :explode: :explode: :explode: :explode: :bitch: :bitch: :bitch: :bitch: :bitch: :bitch: :bitch: :bitch: :bitch: :bitch: :bitch: :bitch: :bitch: :bitch: :bitch: :bitch: :bitch: :bitch: :bitch: :bitch: :bitch: :bitch: :bitch: :bitch: :bitch: :bitch: :bitch: :bitch: :bitch: :bitch: :bitch: :bitch: :bitch:

On a lighter note I saw a charming family film entitled Ballet Shoes with Emma Watson, (Harry Potter chick) and it was lovely. And a nice dreamy man too.

Fics

Misplaced
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Postby Misplaced » Sun Sep 12, 2010 2:32 am

Pitseleh wrote:Heh, I guess "redeemable teen movies" is quite the silly term, but you cannot get anything more predictable and cliched than a teen movie. But :lol: I have to say that my fave of the older ones is Say Anything, and I cannot watch anything with Freddie Prinze Jr. in it. Cannot stand his acting...

Well if we're going both old school and John Cusack, then we must mention Better Off Dead. That's a classic!

Return to “General Chat”