Moderators: justTripn, Elessar, dark_rain

Alelou
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral
Twitter username: @sheerhubris
Show On Map: No

Re: What are you...

Postby Alelou » Wed Oct 21, 2009 4:23 pm

Oh, I tried one of those when my husband was car shopping and it was my favorite (he picked something else that had more gizmos, of course). It was very peppy!
OMG, ANOTHER new chapter! NORTH STAR Chapter 28
Image.Image
Read opening chapters free at Amazon (US): The Awful Mess: A Love Story
Blog: Sheer Hubris Press / Twitter: @sheerhubris / Facebook: Sandra Hutchison

Kevin Thomas Riley
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Postby Kevin Thomas Riley » Sun Oct 25, 2009 6:31 pm

...watching?

I've been watching BBC's 30-year old dramatization of John le Carré's spy novels Tinker, Tailor, Soldier, Spy and Smiley's People all weekend. They still hold up extremely well. Alec Guinness plays George Smiley (Obi-Wan Kenobi) and Patrick Stewart (Picard) plays the Soviet master spy Karla.
She's got an awfully nice bum!
-Malcolm Reed on T'Pol, in Shuttlepod One

Distracted
Site Donor

Postby Distracted » Sun Oct 25, 2009 10:32 pm

...eating? Chicken and sausage gumbo. It's finally gumbo weather down here, meaning the temp outdoors dips below 60 degrees occasionally (mostly at night when it's raining, but still...) :D
Image sig by chrisis1033

Aquarius
Site Admin

Postby Aquarius » Mon Oct 26, 2009 3:31 am

...eating? Kit-Kat

...drinking? Prickly pear martini

...watching? some crazy movie on Lifetime.

...doing? decompressing after a long day of learning new haircuts and business tips and shopping and just being WOWed in general.

:D
Eian built my avatar! Banner by Misplaced!

Elessar
Site Owner

Postby Elessar » Mon Oct 26, 2009 1:46 pm

Eating: Hershey's mini-bar!

Listening: White Demon Love Song - The Killers

Doing: Preparing Chapter 16 (that would be - THE FINAL CHAPTER) to send to JT :mrgreen:

Distracted wrote:...eating? Chicken and sausage gumbo. It's finally gumbo weather down here, meaning the temp outdoors dips below 60 degrees occasionally (mostly at night when it's raining, but still...) :D

BTW - that sounds REALLY, really good :D
"I call shotgun!"
"I call nine millimeter." - John and Cameron

Favorites:
Vulcan For...
Your Mom n' Me

Elessar
Site Owner

Postby Elessar » Mon Oct 26, 2009 2:00 pm

PS: I highly recommend you pick up the New Moon soundtrack if you like indie rock/a little bit of everything. You may not like everything on the cd (I don't), but you will probably like 1 or 2. I had 1 immediate favorite, "The Meadow", a piano-laced instrumental by this French composer name Alexandre Desplat... so I checked up on him. Couldn't find much, except another instrumental from the Painted Veil soundtrack. Also very awesome.

Anyway. The other tracks are growing on me now, so I'd say I really like 2/3 of them.
"I call shotgun!"
"I call nine millimeter." - John and Cameron

Favorites:
Vulcan For...
Your Mom n' Me

WarpGirl
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Postby WarpGirl » Tue Oct 27, 2009 2:40 am

:happyjump: More Elessar fic... Um I "helped" (ok watched) as my kitchen got painted today.
Some of these people haven't taken their medication. Let's see what happens now...
Donna Moss: The West Wing

And by people WG had herself in mind, but then the quote would have been ruined.
Fics
May We Together Become Greater Than The Sum Of Us
*Rights,* Wrongs, and Choices

Alelou
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Postby Alelou » Tue Oct 27, 2009 9:58 pm

Listening to the 2009 movie soundtrack, which I had gotten my kid. Other than the main title and "Labor of Love," which is gorgeous and makes me want to cry, it's just, well, ... a soundtrack. Background music punctuated by pretty little harmonies here and there and loud bombastic noises when intense things are supposed to be happening and odd choral interludes. Soundtracks are just so dull to listen to without the movies attached. Probably that's why Alejandro has already turned back to his The Dark Knight soundtrack.

It's nice for catching up here, though. I had an afternoon workshop at the college on web enhanced courses and distance learning. I'm already doing nearly all the web-enhanced stuff the speakers were introducing, so I guess I dove into that aspect of it quickly. I'm a little underwhelmed at the idea of teaching an online course, though. Not meeting the students face to face -- that's got to be kind of weird.

Sort of like hanging out here...? LOL.
Image.Image

Escriba
Fleet Captain
Fleet Captain

Postby Escriba » Wed Oct 28, 2009 2:02 pm

Elessar wrote:PS: I highly recommend you pick up the New Moon soundtrack if you like indie rock/a little bit of everything. You may not like everything on the cd (I don't), but you will probably like 1 or 2. I had 1 immediate favorite, "The Meadow", a piano-laced instrumental by this French composer name Alexandre Desplat... so I checked up on him. Couldn't find much, except another instrumental from the Painted Veil soundtrack. Also very awesome.

Oh, no, don't tell me that one of the greatest soundtrack composer (author of "The Queen", "The Painted Veil" or "The Curious Case of Benjamin Button") has composed the soundtrack for New Moon :faint: That's so unfair... It's almost worse than when Hans Zimmer was elected as a composer for "The Da Vinci Code" (dreadful movie and book.) Fact that even got worse when I discovered that the soundtrack rocked big time :shock:

Alelou wrote:Listening to the 2009 movie soundtrack, which I had gotten my kid. Other than the main title and "Labor of Love," which is gorgeous and makes me want to cry, it's just, well, ... a soundtrack. Background music punctuated by pretty little harmonies here and there and loud bombastic noises when intense things are supposed to be happening and odd choral interludes. Soundtracks are just so dull to listen to without the movies attached. Probably that's why Alejandro has already turned back to his The Dark Knight soundtrack.

Well, Michael Giacchino is known for his "emotional crescendos" so no surprise that "Labour of Love" is one of the best tracks. I like "Nice to Meld You" and "Nero Death Experience" too, and that he uses the original music for the original series, not the "Goldsmith variant" that everybody uses. Also, I like the tittles of his tracks :D

I like soundtracks. In fact, I'm a total soundtrack junkie. I agree that sometimes they're difficult to listen because they're composed to be heard with a movie, but I like that they are able to create atmosphere (which is very useful when writing :lol:)
Last edited by Escriba on Wed Oct 28, 2009 2:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.

"I mean... well, you know what people call men who wear wigs and gowns, don't you?"
"Yes, miss."
"You do?"
"Yes, miss. Lawyers, miss."

The Fifth Elephant by Terry Pratchett

WarpGirl
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Postby WarpGirl » Wed Oct 28, 2009 2:08 pm

I LOVED the soundtrack to Pride and Prejudice both versions. But I don't remember who did it. It was lush and romantic without being too sugery. But when it comes to TV soundtracks... Bones absolutely is the best right now.

I'm eating cupckes for breakfast! :D
Some of these people haven't taken their medication. Let's see what happens now...

And by people WG had herself in mind, but then the quote would have been ruined.
Fics

Alelou
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Postby Alelou » Wed Oct 28, 2009 3:19 pm

I liked the last P&P soundtrack, too, though I thought it was extremely lush and romantic. (Which is the direction the movie erred in, if one wanted to accuse it of anything, so that was appropriate.) But I don't know if I'd ever buy it.

Escriba, on further examination I really liked "That New Car Smell" too, which is really just about the only place we get to hear the Chinese-informed Vulcan music, which was also pretty and haunting. And I agree about his titles. There are some very odd extremely short tracks on this already-short soundtrack. The end credits are nice, but I have to admit I just don't care much for the original Star Trek parts. I mean, I'm glad they're there from a Trekkie reference point of view, but as music I don't really much like it beyond the opening measures with those single notes that signal HERE WE GO, IT'S STAR TREK!
Image.Image

Escriba
Fleet Captain
Fleet Captain

Postby Escriba » Wed Oct 28, 2009 3:56 pm

Alelou wrote:Escriba, on further examination I really liked "That New Car Smell" too, which is really just about the only place we get to hear the Chinese-informed Vulcan music, which was also pretty and haunting.

Ah, yes, the track with the violin bit. Very Vulcan indeed :D

Alelou wrote:I liked the last P&P soundtrack, too, though I thought it was extremely lush and romantic. (Which is the direction the movie erred in, if one wanted to accuse it of anything, so that was appropriate.) But I don't know if I'd ever buy it.

I have it, it's by Dario Marianelli (one of the best composers of the new batch.) I didn't buy it, it was gift.

WarpGirl wrote:But when it comes to TV soundtracks... Bones absolutely is the best right now.

In my opinion Bones doesn't stand out nor for its original score, or for its chosen songs. Chuck does much, much better, or even Grey's Anatomy (even if you hate the plot.) Also House, that has some really good ending songs (its trademark.)

If we're talking about original scores, even if I liked Pushing Daisies', the absolutely standouts are the new Battlestar Galactica and Lost (this one of Michael Giacchino.)

"I mean... well, you know what people call men who wear wigs and gowns, don't you?"
"Yes, miss."
"You do?"
"Yes, miss. Lawyers, miss."

The Fifth Elephant by Terry Pratchett

TPoptarts
Commodore
Commodore

Postby TPoptarts » Fri Oct 30, 2009 4:22 am

Watching: Little Miss Sunshine
And I get to the part of the actual contest, and who do I see sitting as an extra in the audience... it's frelling Helmet Head!! That retarded actor wannabe who used to live here and was obsessed with me and stalked me for a really long time, even invited himself into my BED!! EWWWWW yuck I frelling hate him!! What a way to ruin a movie :upchuck: :upchuck: :upchuck: :upchuck: :upchuck:

ImageImage

TPoptarts
Commodore
Commodore

Postby TPoptarts » Sat Oct 31, 2009 4:43 am

Watching the new Star Trek movie (finally :roll: )

I didn't follow the movie discussions but I recall someone said something about Porthos being mentioned in the movie... and well now I'm at the part that they meet Scotty and he says like how he tested his transporter on Archer's beagle. I don't know if it's been discussed before but uhhh... aren't they like a hundred years after ENT, like how long is canine life expectancy supposed to be in the future?? :? :shock:

Maybe he had another beagle :dunno: :?:
ImageImage

WarpGirl
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Postby WarpGirl » Sat Oct 31, 2009 11:52 am

Good point! I liked it. Did you?

Fics

Return to “General Chat”