Calling All Cooks

Just what it says on the tin.

Moderators: justTripn, Elessar, dark_rain

WarpGirl
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Re: Calling All Cooks

Postby WarpGirl » Sun Aug 16, 2009 3:07 am

I keep my refridgerator really cold so everything lasts longer. I never know when I might not be able to get out to the store. So mayo lasts for weeks and weeks for me. Pretty much everything else too. Although if I'm not careful dairy freezes, and soucream DOES NOT defrost. Learned that the hard way.
Some of these people haven't taken their medication. Let's see what happens now...
Donna Moss: The West Wing

And by people WG had herself in mind, but then the quote would have been ruined.
Fics
May We Together Become Greater Than The Sum Of Us
*Rights,* Wrongs, and Choices

Alelou
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral
Twitter username: @sheerhubris
Show On Map: No

Postby Alelou » Sun Aug 16, 2009 3:10 am

What abbreviation?

According to Kraft and Hellman's, you can actually keep mayo in the pantry. You don't have to refrigerate it. People just do it because the thought of not doing it grosses them out. (Me too.)

My son suffered from being underweight for awhile (ADHD medicine) so it was whole milk for him, etc. etc. Peanutbutter too, as I recall. The high-calorie diet. I'm sure your doctor has given you the list, yes?

His weight is fine now but between Atkins and that we've all gotten used to the whole milk. In fact, I just tried cutting back to 2% and my digestive system immediately went on strike. My mother said I'd had the same trouble as a child and the pediatrician told her to stick with whole fat. I guess it just works better for me.
OMG, ANOTHER new chapter! NORTH STAR Chapter 28
Image.Image
Read opening chapters free at Amazon (US): The Awful Mess: A Love Story
Blog: Sheer Hubris Press / Twitter: @sheerhubris / Facebook: Sandra Hutchison

Aquarius
Site Admin

Postby Aquarius » Sun Aug 16, 2009 3:13 am

Alelou wrote:What abbreviation?

EVOO= Extra Virgin Olive Oil. But she says "EVOO" all the time.
Eian built my avatar! Banner by Misplaced!

WarpGirl
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Postby WarpGirl » Sun Aug 16, 2009 3:17 am

Rachel Ray's abreviation for Extra Virgin Olive Oil, is EVOO... And thank you for getting me to use it. No not really. Anyway yeah I got the list with add on's... Ice cream, chocolate, frosting, cake... His exact words, "Eat whatever you want just EAT" yeah so I do, still takes months to gain a pound. It took 3 years and I'm just growing out of a size 2 jeans. I hate it. All those girls who think I'm lucky... I'M NOT!
Some of these people haven't taken their medication. Let's see what happens now...

And by people WG had herself in mind, but then the quote would have been ruined.
Fics

Alelou
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Postby Alelou » Sun Aug 16, 2009 1:36 pm

Gah, EVOO sounds much less appetizing than extra virgin olive oil. It sounds like some sort of bizarre food product for kids. Compare that to "extra virgin olive oil." It sounds so damned sensuous, how can you NOT want to eat it?

WarpGirl, have they ruled out the possibility that you have Celiac disease or some other digestive disorder that keeps you from digesting all your food properly? That can make it really hard to maintain a normal weight. (It can also cause abdominal cramps.) It's a pretty common condition and frequently goes undiagnosed. It's a pain in the ass because it means you can't eat gluten anymore, which is in lots of stuff, but if you have it, avoiding that would mean you'd feel a LOT better.
Image.Image

WarpGirl
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Postby WarpGirl » Sun Aug 16, 2009 1:47 pm

They tested me for that and 1,000,000,000 other things I don't have them. My CP has just screwed EVERYTHING up because the stomache is a muscle and therefore screwed up by my brain. I hate Rachel Ray, she acts like a condecending cheerleader and I can't eat a single thing she makes. I don't understand her appeal, my eyes bleed when I watch.

Fics

Aquarius
Site Admin

Postby Aquarius » Sun Aug 16, 2009 1:49 pm

Alelou wrote:Gah, EVOO sounds much less appetizing than extra virgin olive oil. It sounds like some sort of bizarre food product for kids. Compare that to "extra virgin olive oil." It sounds so damned sensuous, how can you NOT want to eat it?

I hate it when people do that kind of thing...like they're trying to make things sound so much more important than they actually are. My ex used to talk about something's "form factor," even in just regular conversation with regular people and not other techies, and I'd just be like, "Why can't you just say 'size and shape' like a regular person???" The EVOO thing bothers me the same way. If you haven't seen her show before, it's like you have to know the secret code or something. :roll:

WarpGirl
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Postby WarpGirl » Sun Aug 16, 2009 1:56 pm

Not only that she shouts at you, and talks to you like you're in kingdergarden. She tries so hard not to be a snob that she ends up being a gigantic snob. Give me Bobby Flay, Ina Garten, Giada De Laurentis, Tyler Florence, and Alton Brown any day.

Fics

Alelou
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Postby Alelou » Sun Aug 16, 2009 2:37 pm

Well, she's a beloved local girl up here, and definitely not considered a snob. But I don't watch her. The only cooking shows I watch are the ones Jaime is watching because the baseball game is too depressing or he's just in channel surfing mode. (He's a Mets fan, so that's been happening fairly often this year.)
Image.Image

WarpGirl
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Postby WarpGirl » Sun Aug 16, 2009 5:25 pm

The Mets! OK die hard Yankee fan so I don't get it. And when I say die hard I mean obsessed. Me I watch Food Network too much to be considered healthy, Iron Chef has me with a devotion that could be considered creepy, I just love to cook, more than I love to eat. I just wish I wasn't ready to die after I get it all done.

Fics

Distracted
Site Donor

Postby Distracted » Sun Aug 16, 2009 6:16 pm

I don't watch cooking shows. I watch eating shows. There's this gourmet food show on the Travel Channel called "No Reservations" that's just awesome. It's got a mature audience warning on it, of all things. One day I want to go to all those countries and eat that stuff! :D
Image sig by chrisis1033

WarpGirl
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Postby WarpGirl » Sun Aug 16, 2009 8:29 pm

Why would an eating show be rated M? I'm really confused, after all they put the naked sushi girls on CSI at rate it TV-14. Just what exactly are they eating?

Fics

Aquarius
Site Admin

Postby Aquarius » Sun Aug 16, 2009 9:54 pm

It's not the eating, it's the swearing.

WarpGirl
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Postby WarpGirl » Sun Aug 16, 2009 9:59 pm

Oh well why swear so much? You're eating delicious food in beautiful places use happy words.

Fics

Aquarius
Site Admin

Postby Aquarius » Sun Aug 16, 2009 10:03 pm

Well, some of the places aren't so beautiful. Last week I watched one where they devoted like half the show to Detroit. Good food, but not so beautiful, and lots of people swearing, especially depending on the neighborhood.

Same with the one that featured DC today.

Return to “General Chat”