The Upsetting News Thread

Just what it says on the tin.

Moderators: justTripn, Elessar, dark_rain

bluetiger
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Re: The Upsetting News Thread

Postby bluetiger » Tue Apr 07, 2009 5:01 pm

Asso, I also just found out about this. I'm so glad you and your family are okay. So sorry to hear about the devastation in your beautiful country. We pray for those lost.
Reading gives us someplace to go when we have to stay where we are. (Mason Cooley)

Linda
Commodore
Commodore
Show On Map: No

Postby Linda » Wed Apr 22, 2009 1:31 pm

It may be a small burp in the scheme of things, but my pet rabbit, Oriana, is dying. Both Jim and I had to go to work this morning and hated to leave her. I put food and water right next to her so she could reach it if she decides to eat. We have a vet appointment at 2:00 pm and it is only 8:20 am right now. Jim hopes there is something the vet can do to increase pain medication and give her a little more time, but I am pessimistic and think this may be her last day.

She has severe arthritis and as of yesterday, can no longer walk, only crawl. She has been refusing food, even treats which she loves. When I try to feed her by hand or give her water, she uses what little strength she has left to trun away from me, so I am limiting my attempts so she can conserve her strength. I think she has made her decision and I should respect that. But she will alow petting and pushes her head into my hand. Both Jim and I were able to plead and get time off from work, but at about noontime, as both our offices are short handed due to cut back in state civil service that has been happening over the past few years. So many people have been laid off and we need our jobs, but it sure is impacting our home lives! Life sure sucks sometimes!
Working on a major fan fic project. Two-thirds done. Hope to put it up in the not TOO distant future.

justTripn
Consigliere

Postby justTripn » Wed Apr 22, 2009 9:43 pm

Yes, it's small in the grand scheme of things, but aren't we all? It's not a small thing to love someone, pets included. :(
I'm donating my body to science fiction.

JadziaKathryn
Commodore
Commodore

Postby JadziaKathryn » Wed Apr 22, 2009 10:24 pm

Having recently lost my beloved cat, I believe that it may be small in the scheme of things, but it's a big loss for a time. And I also believe that it only hurts because these wonderful creatures, during their lives, so enrich ours. Sympathies, Linda. :hug:

Aquarius
Site Admin

Postby Aquarius » Thu Apr 23, 2009 2:51 am

There's nothing small about losing a beloved pet, Linda. They are members of our families. It can be devastating, and I understand what that's like. My thoughts have been with you all day, I just couldn't respond as I read your post from my phone. *hugs* :hug:
Eian built my avatar! Banner by Misplaced!

Asso
Site Donor

Postby Asso » Thu Apr 23, 2009 5:38 am

I'm with you, Linda.
Well yes. I continue to write. And on Fanfiction.Net, for those who want, it is possible to cast a glance at my latest efforts. We arrived to
The Ears of the Elves, chapter Forty-four

And here is the beginning of the whole story.

But, I must say, you could also find something else on Fanfiction.net written by me. If you want.

Linda
Commodore
Commodore

Postby Linda » Thu Apr 23, 2009 2:01 pm

Thanks, everyone. :hug: We thought it was going to be the end, but our wonderful rabbit vet gave us a choice between putting Oriana to sleep or trying critical care. We were so relieved to have a choice. So we chose to try critical care.

Critical care involves adding two more medications, given twice a day, and increasing dosage of the anti-inflamatory/pain control med. Then, there is mixing a power with water, heating it into a gruel and feeding it to Oriana three times a day. I have done two feedings already. It is messy and the first time I only got half of it into her. The second time, I got three-quarters of it into her. She is smart and tried to evade the gruel by leaving her mouth open so it dripped out. So I hold her head up and see that she swallows. It takes about a half hour per feeding. I told Jim that this is good practice because we may have to do this for each other if one of us gets incapacitated some day, LOL.

I am ambivilent about doing this as it may be against what Oriana wants. So if she continues to reject eating maybe it would be time to rethink it. But if she starts to accept it and even starts eating solid food again, maybe this will give her some time. Her xray showed extreme arthritis in the knees and elbows so that she is unable to bend her legs very much. She is getting good at crawling around. So if this is a way to move that she accepts, it might be that she is still enjoying life.

I rearranged her space. Instead of going up a ramp to her cage (which is always open), I have squares of cheap rugs on top of the dining room carpet and under the dining room table which is her "den" that she likes to sit in. Her solid food is close by, but we have to get a different water bottle for her. And I have a boot tray for a litter box under there that she can crawl into. I don't know how long this will be a satisfactory arrangement for her. But it may work for months, maybe a year even. I know we are just putting off the inevitable. But for now, the tears have been dried and we feel less depressed. :)
Working on a major fan fic project. Two-thirds done. Hope to put it up in the not TOO distant future.

Dinah
Commander
Commander

Postby Dinah » Fri Apr 24, 2009 12:06 am

I'm really late with this, but Asso, I'm really glad that you and your family are okay.

Linda, I can really sympathize with your situation with Oriana. Over the years I've nursed a number of my dogs. That included cooking soup, corned beef hash, etc. to get them to eat. And when that failed, trying to persuade them to eat their dinner out of my hand. I wish you and Oriana nothing but the best.

Aquarius
Site Admin

Postby Aquarius » Fri Apr 24, 2009 1:12 am

Linda--It's great that you were offered an alternate course of action. I hope that with the pain management and nutrition, Oriana will perk up a bit. Sometimes it's just like with people...they don't eat because they don't feel good, and then they don't feel good because they don't eat, and it's a vicious cycle.
Eian built my avatar! Banner by Misplaced!

anaM
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Postby anaM » Fri Apr 24, 2009 4:59 am

Linda, I also want to say that I understand your feelings, a pet is a member of the family and when it suffers, everybody is affected. I can only wish you'll be able to help her and have more good days with her.

Linda
Commodore
Commodore

Postby Linda » Fri Apr 24, 2009 1:52 pm

Thanks again, everyone! You make me feel better. Oriana is feeling better too. She is holding her head up instead of resting it on the floor all the time. She doesn't like suringe feeding, but she doesn't fight it either. And she is eating her apple slices - her favorite treat and nibbling a little at her hay. So She may be back on her solid food soon. And she is perfecting her crawling skills. Gets around in a limited space quite well. The increased pain medication has helped a lot, I think.

Asso
Site Donor

Postby Asso » Fri Apr 24, 2009 2:07 pm

Linda wrote: Oriana is feeling better...

:)
Well yes. I continue to write. And on Fanfiction.Net, for those who want, it is possible to cast a glance at my latest efforts. We arrived to
The Ears of the Elves, chapter Forty-four

And here is the beginning of the whole story.

But, I must say, you could also find something else on Fanfiction.net written by me. If you want.

blacknblue
Site Admin

Postby blacknblue » Tue Apr 28, 2009 2:56 pm

Thank you to everyone who reads here and who took the time to post about our recent loss.
"When the legends die, the dreams end. When the dreams end, there is no more greatness."
--Tecumseh
"It is better to be a live jackal than a dead lion."
--King Solomon the Wise
"The needs of the many outweigh the needs of the few." Unless the few are armed.

Linda
Commodore
Commodore

Postby Linda » Tue Apr 28, 2009 4:33 pm

Oh dear, Blacknblue, I missed finding out about your loss. Whatever it was, I am very sorry about it too. I skimmed through this entire thread and didn't find it, but that is not unusual because I miss a lot of things. But I do care and wish you and your family well.

JadziaKathryn
Commodore
Commodore

Postby JadziaKathryn » Tue Apr 28, 2009 8:12 pm

blacknblue wrote:Thank you to everyone who reads here and who took the time to post about our recent loss.

??? Oh no! I'm sorry - loss in any form is simply heartbreaking.

Return to “General Chat”