Moderators: justTripn, Elessar, dark_rain

Alelou
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral
Twitter username: @sheerhubris
Show On Map: No

Re: What are you...

Postby Alelou » Sat Dec 11, 2010 3:35 pm

Hamlet is my favorite, but they get that in high school. Quite a few also get A Midsummer Night's Dream. I can teach whatever I want, but I think The Tempest is one of those plays you really ought to be exposed to at some point in your life. Plus it's fun. I taught it in high school to my honors section and the kids had a ball with it. This is a different group of students, of course, but the ones who are willing to work tend to step up to whatever you give them, and the ones who aren't fade away. That's the rhythm of life in a community college.
OMG, ANOTHER new chapter! NORTH STAR Chapter 28
Image.Image
Read opening chapters free at Amazon (US): The Awful Mess: A Love Story
Blog: Sheer Hubris Press / Twitter: @sheerhubris / Facebook: Sandra Hutchison

WarpGirl
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Postby WarpGirl » Sat Dec 11, 2010 3:43 pm

A rhythm I knew very well and miss a lot. In the end do what makes you happy.
Some of these people haven't taken their medication. Let's see what happens now...
Donna Moss: The West Wing

And by people WG had herself in mind, but then the quote would have been ruined.
Fics
May We Together Become Greater Than The Sum Of Us
*Rights,* Wrongs, and Choices

WarpGirl
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Postby WarpGirl » Sun Dec 12, 2010 12:26 am

OMG I'm writing a space battle! HELP!!!!!!!
Some of these people haven't taken their medication. Let's see what happens now...

And by people WG had herself in mind, but then the quote would have been ruined.
Fics

Enerdhil
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Postby Enerdhil » Sun Dec 12, 2010 3:21 am

... doing? Using the internet at the hotel lobby. Only one router to share with other guests. Better that I have my own cable to plug into an unused port (there is only one cable attached to the router). Off course, wifi doesn't work even at the lobby. I am lucky that I already the nice story Linda submitted.

WarpGirl
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Postby WarpGirl » Sun Dec 12, 2010 3:22 am

Hope you're having a better time than you were before.

Fics

Elessar
Site Owner

Postby Elessar » Sun Dec 12, 2010 11:10 am

Alelou wrote:Hamlet is my favorite, but they get that in high school. Quite a few also get A Midsummer Night's Dream. I can teach whatever I want, but I think The Tempest is one of those plays you really ought to be exposed to at some point in your life. Plus it's fun. I taught it in high school to my honors section and the kids had a ball with it. This is a different group of students, of course, but the ones who are willing to work tend to step up to whatever you give them, and the ones who aren't fade away. That's the rhythm of life in a community college.

Have you heard of or seen the recent film version of The Tempest? They cast a woman as Prospero, though.

The Tempest has a special place for me because it was the only shakespearean play I read on my own. I was like 14 and sorting through the damn language was a pain in my ASS. I took a shakespeare class in college, though, and read a bunch of others. Incidentally, we did NOT read R+J, though I read it in like 9th grade. I think a Merchant of Venice is my favorite.
"I call shotgun!"
"I call nine millimeter." - John and Cameron

Favorites:
Vulcan For...
Your Mom n' Me

Linda
Commodore
Commodore

Postby Linda » Sun Dec 12, 2010 12:06 pm

I saw A Midsummer Night's Dream performed at American Players Theater in Spring Green, Wisconsin many years ago. It is an outdoor theater and it was summer and at night and the stars were peppered overhead. Enchanting! Even the time I slipped off to the restroom building and passed one of the actors hiding in the woods waiting to make his entrance. I almost freaked out he was such a surprise standing so still there. It made me feel I had walked into the world of the play and was now a charater in it myself.
Working on a major fan fic project. Two-thirds done. Hope to put it up in the not TOO distant future.

Alelou
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral
Twitter username: @sheerhubris

Postby Alelou » Sun Dec 12, 2010 1:38 pm

Elessar wrote:
Alelou wrote:Hamlet is my favorite, but they get that in high school. Quite a few also get A Midsummer Night's Dream. I can teach whatever I want, but I think The Tempest is one of those plays you really ought to be exposed to at some point in your life. Plus it's fun. I taught it in high school to my honors section and the kids had a ball with it. This is a different group of students, of course, but the ones who are willing to work tend to step up to whatever you give them, and the ones who aren't fade away. That's the rhythm of life in a community college.

Have you heard of or seen the recent film version of The Tempest? They cast a woman as Prospero, though.

The Tempest has a special place for me because it was the only shakespearean play I read on my own. I was like 14 and sorting through the damn language was a pain in my ASS. I took a shakespeare class in college, though, and read a bunch of others. Incidentally, we did NOT read R+J, though I read it in like 9th grade. I think a Merchant of Venice is my favorite.

Yes, I believe I mentioned Helen Mirren as "Prospera" just a few posts earlier.

The Tempest is so rich -- you can read it as a political fable, a moral fable, a fantasy, a romance, a commentary on slavery or on the old world's relationship with the new world, age vs. youth, innocence vs. experience, all sorts of things. Just about any school of criticism can have a field day with it. There are allusions all over our culture, and remakes all over our culture. Hell, even just the songs IN IT are fun, like "Full fathom five thy father lies" -- I heard Sting and some other artist doing that recently.

I took my college Shakespeare class when I was in England, which was a little odd at times. They pronounce a lot of things differently than we would here. "Jacques" instead of sounding French was pronounced Jake-quess. "Don Juan" was "Don Jew-an." It helped with the meter since Shakespeare apparently would have done the same, but to me it sounded soooo silly.
OMG, ANOTHER new chapter! NORTH STAR Chapter 28
Image.Image
Read opening chapters free at Amazon (US): The Awful Mess: A Love Story
Blog: Sheer Hubris Press / Twitter: @sheerhubris / Facebook: Sandra Hutchison

aadarshinah
Captain
Captain

Postby aadarshinah » Sun Dec 12, 2010 2:20 pm

I'm like halfway through Richard II. Have been for like a month now. I don't know if I should read that now, or another fanfic, or start on the 3rd in this YA triology I picked up 'cause it was 80% off, or start one of the other hundred or so books (not exageration, I have a shelf of about 100 books I have yet to read, as well aso 50 or so on my kindle) from my antilibrary....

Well, it's a good day for reading at least. all cold and dreary and, if my mom isn't watching Heroes downstairs, I might curl up next to the fire with a good book...

Silverbullet
Commodore
Commodore

Postby Silverbullet » Sun Dec 12, 2010 8:41 pm

TCM had the 1935 version of a Midsummers Night Dream with Mickey Rooney as Puck and James Cagny as Bottom. The other actors were unkown to me as they were from that era.

SB
I am Retired. Having a good time IS my job

WarpGirl
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Postby WarpGirl » Sun Dec 12, 2010 8:53 pm

I'm partial to the 1936 Romeo and Juliet with Norma Shearer and Leslie Howard. I'm not a fan of Howard normally, but despite his being 42 and Shearer being 36, it was a phenominal adaptation.

Fics

Distracted
Site Donor

Postby Distracted » Tue Dec 14, 2010 1:22 am

...eating? Crawfish etouffee. Buttery, warm, spicy and altogether scrumptious over rice. I'm happy now. :D
Image sig by chrisis1033

WarpGirl
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Postby WarpGirl » Tue Dec 14, 2010 1:27 am

JEALOUS! :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :-p :-p :-p :hug: :hug: :hug: :hug:

Fics

Aikiweezie
Fleet Captain
Fleet Captain

Postby Aikiweezie » Tue Dec 14, 2010 2:28 am

Distracted wrote:...eating? Crawfish etouffee. Buttery, warm, spicy and altogether scrumptious over rice. I'm happy now. :D

I LOVE crawfish etoufee. One of my favorites. I was allergic to shellfish for about 7 years. That was the thing I missed most.

Did you make it? Do you have a good recipie? :drool:

WarpGirl
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Postby WarpGirl » Tue Dec 14, 2010 2:52 am

Watching pt.2 of Marry Me on lifetime, you know the one I said about "We do not date grown men who still talk about Star Wars..." Well God am I glad I am not as neurotic as this particular character. So far, she's been caught between 3 men and though I'm still rooting for SW's guy, I don't think she's right for any of them. The good news is, she realizes she's completely too screwed up. But I want SW's guy for myself. He'd be just right for me. But "richer than God" guy could buy me clothes and jewelry...

SW's guy WON! :happyjump: Best TV movie I've seen in a LONG time. Hope they do a DVD!

Fics

Return to “General Chat”