The Whine thread.

Just what it says on the tin.

Moderators: justTripn, Elessar, dark_rain

WarpGirl
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Re: The Whine thread.

Postby WarpGirl » Sat Aug 13, 2011 4:49 pm

IDK guys, I think that it all depends on what the role is. I mean obviously in Criminal Minds the woman was the murder victim. They don't spend much time on them because it's a waste of resorces. The point of the show is to portray how they capture the bad guys!

With roles like Ziva on NCIS well these women are the women who catch the bad guys. So they'll spend more time portraying them as tough strong and capable.

PS. There were plenty of women in the Classic Era that kicked butt. You just have to know where to look.
Some of these people haven't taken their medication. Let's see what happens now...
Donna Moss: The West Wing

And by people WG had herself in mind, but then the quote would have been ruined.
Fics
May We Together Become Greater Than The Sum Of Us
*Rights,* Wrongs, and Choices

Cogito
Fleet Captain
Fleet Captain
Show On Map: No

Postby Cogito » Sat Aug 13, 2011 5:44 pm

There's a scheme running in the UK where the government subsidises the cost of adding loft insulation to your house. And with energy prices shooting up I thought I'd take advantage of it, and get some insulation in before winter hits. There's a big section of my loft which is very narrow, so it means working on hands and knees a lot. And to make it worse, there's a big water tank in the middle so there's about a six foot length which has to be negotiated on knees and elbows working past lots of obstructions designed to snag on any people, tools or big rolls of loft insulation trying to get past. At least I've got some knee pads, and every time I velcro them on I'm reminded of T'Mir selling us the design back in Carbon Creek. So it's taken several hot, dusty and very uncomfortable hours of work to insulate that end of the loft. And that was going about as well as you'd expect, and I was on the last trip back, daylight almost in sight, when my knee pads decided to velcro themselves firmly together, while I was wedged in the narrow section and no chance to get at them. Have you got any idea how difficult it is to crawl out of a confined space with your knees hog-tied together? :censored: Image :explode: :lol:

WarpGirl
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Postby WarpGirl » Sat Aug 13, 2011 6:05 pm

Cogito wrote: Have you got any idea how difficult it is to crawl out of a confined space with your knees hog-tied together? :censored: Image :explode: :lol:

Not in that situation no! But I have been throught something simular. It's called Physical Therapy. Glad you made it through, and it will be worth it when your energy bills are lower. What happened to having fun on the weekend? I gotta get mom up for Karaoke soon.
Some of these people haven't taken their medication. Let's see what happens now...

And by people WG had herself in mind, but then the quote would have been ruined.
Fics

marchale
Commander
Commander

Postby marchale » Sat Aug 13, 2011 6:49 pm

Cogito wrote:There's a scheme running in the UK where the government subsidises the cost of adding loft insulation to your house. And with energy prices shooting up I thought I'd take advantage of it, and get some insulation in before winter hits. There's a big section of my loft which is very narrow, so it means working on hands and knees a lot. And to make it worse, there's a big water tank in the middle so there's about a six foot length which has to be negotiated on knees and elbows working past lots of obstructions designed to snag on any people, tools or big rolls of loft insulation trying to get past. At least I've got some knee pads, and every time I velcro them on I'm reminded of T'Mir selling us the design back in Carbon Creek. So it's taken several hot, dusty and very uncomfortable hours of work to insulate that end of the loft. And that was going about as well as you'd expect, and I was on the last trip back, daylight almost in sight, when my knee pads decided to velcro themselves firmly together, while I was wedged in the narrow section and no chance to get at them. Have you got any idea how difficult it is to crawl out of a confined space with your knees hog-tied together? :censored: Image :explode: :lol:

Sorry to hear you had trouble with that, Cogito - that sucks! (Though I'm glad to hear your government is subsidizing your insulation). No, I can't imagine what it's like having to crawl out of a confined space with your knees hog-tied together, but you have my sympathy there, kiddo. :hug: The most annoying thing I ever dealt with velcro about was using it to hang up polar fleece material as curtains or drapery over my patio doors and the four windows in my apartment (and I had to lean way over an L shaped glass computer desk in my bedroom to do it; hoping I could lean over far enough to get the velcro parts to stick together without crashing through the desk). Anyway, you have my sympathy there, I know velcro isn't easy to try to work with, especially if its on something you have to use alot of it on, definatly not fun at all.
http://home.comcast.net/~shadyladyfakes/ - my home page
http://photobucket.com/shadyladyfakes/ - my Enterprise screencaps (they're mainly close-ups!)

Silverbullet
Commodore
Commodore

Postby Silverbullet » Fri Aug 19, 2011 12:04 am

It is 104 degrees outside and our A/C has packed up. The inside temp is now 83 and climbing. Getting a repair man at this time of the night will be impossible. Oh Joy. Don't have to worry about freezing tonight.

SB
I am Retired. Having a good time IS my job

WarpGirl
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Postby WarpGirl » Fri Aug 19, 2011 12:08 am

Awwww. Well I rely on cool showers.

My pain level 0-5 is at a 6. Yuck! We'll just have to send each other good vibes.

Fics

Cogito
Fleet Captain
Fleet Captain

Postby Cogito » Fri Aug 19, 2011 12:13 am

Silverbullet wrote:It is 104 degrees outside and our A/C has packed up. The inside temp is now 83 and climbing. Getting a repair man at this time of the night will be impossible. Oh Joy. Don't have to worry about freezing tonight.

SB

It occasionally gets that hot in the UK during the day, but I can't imagine trying to sleep at those temperatures. Do you have fans, water mist, a big fridge/freezer you can climb inside?

enterprikayak
Token Canadian
Token Canadian

Postby enterprikayak » Fri Aug 19, 2011 1:48 am

Cogito wrote:There's a scheme running in the UK where the government subsidises the cost of adding loft insulation to your house. And with energy prices shooting up I thought I'd take advantage of it, and get some insulation in before winter hits. There's a big section of my loft which is very narrow, so it means working on hands and knees a lot. And to make it worse, there's a big water tank in the middle so there's about a six foot length which has to be negotiated on knees and elbows working past lots of obstructions designed to snag on any people, tools or big rolls of loft insulation trying to get past. At least I've got some knee pads, and every time I velcro them on I'm reminded of T'Mir selling us the design back in Carbon Creek. So it's taken several hot, dusty and very uncomfortable hours of work to insulate that end of the loft. And that was going about as well as you'd expect, and I was on the last trip back, daylight almost in sight, when my knee pads decided to velcro themselves firmly together, while I was wedged in the narrow section and no chance to get at them. Have you got any idea how difficult it is to crawl out of a confined space with your knees hog-tied together? :censored: Image :explode: :lol:

Ahh he paints a good word picture, don't he? :guffaw: :guffaw:

:guffaw:

[okay: creepy. i just did a google image search of "hog tied" hoping for a hog tied smiley....ummmmm......instead I got about 600 images of women trussed up in creepy people's [men's] basements/garages/panic-rooms with red rubber balls strapped into their mouths, no clothes on, and trussed to within an inch of their lives. wtf??? this world is a weeeeird place.]
|||||||||enterpriseScrybe & enterpriseScrybe2 TrekVids||||||||| www.trekref.info|||||||||www.TriaxTpolitan.com|||||||||
"Let's be honest with ourselves: there's nothing easy about the life we've chosen. But we don't do it because it's easy, dammit!
We do it because the tits are big and the bat'leths are sharp and the ships are fast!"

justTripn
Consigliere

Postby justTripn » Fri Aug 19, 2011 12:50 pm

I like the way even his whine has a nice Enterprise tie in. :thumbsup: That's a GOOD post.
I'm donating my body to science fiction.

CX
Commodore
Commodore

Postby CX » Tue Aug 23, 2011 2:25 pm

Whelp, my diet and my genes have caught up to me - I had a gallbladder attack yesterday. And I have to have it removed at some point in the near future since they apparently can't get the gallstones out without taking the whole gallbladder with it. :? The really fun part is that I don't have any insurance as I haven't been able to afford any as a poor college student the past few years.

WarpGirl
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Postby WarpGirl » Tue Aug 23, 2011 2:32 pm

I've had mine out too. The good news is as far as operations go it's an easy one to recover from. I'll be praying for you.

Fics

Cogito
Fleet Captain
Fleet Captain

Postby Cogito » Tue Aug 23, 2011 2:50 pm

I have no idea what a gallbladder is or what happens when it is removed, but I hope it goes OK.

WarpGirl
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Postby WarpGirl » Tue Aug 23, 2011 2:53 pm

Really! :shock:

Fics

marchale
Commander
Commander

Postby marchale » Tue Aug 23, 2011 7:52 pm

CX wrote:Whelp, my diet and my genes have caught up to me - I had a gallbladder attack yesterday. And I have to have it removed at some point in the near future since they apparently can't get the gallstones out without taking the whole gallbladder with it. :? The really fun part is that I don't have any insurance as I haven't been able to afford any as a poor college student the past few years.

CX,

I'm sorry to hear about your gallbladder problems, thats a damn shame! Hon, I don't know where you live, but if you're an American and you need surgery you cannot afford - please call your county Human Services Department or Social Services or Welfare Department (or whatever it's called in your area) and tell them that you need surgery you cannot afford and ask them to send you out an application to apply for Medical Assistance (or it may be called MedicAid where you live) and to make an appointment for you to talk to one of their caseworkers about getting on it so the government can pay for your surgery if you cannot afford it. If the laws where you live are the same as they are in Minnesota (they may or may not be), they will cover your medical expenses over the past 3 months as well too, so ask them about that as well. I'm not sure if thats federal or state ran there - but I know that under the law, if a hospital receives federal funding from the government, you're protected under the Hill Burton Act that states you cannot be denied medical care (including surgery and hospitalization) based on your inability to pay for it. (you'd need to check with a social worker at a hospital about that to see if they do get federal funding though, as hospitals that don't can and often will deny you service there). But please, if you do live in America, call your county Human Services/Social Services/Welfare Department or whatever its called there and tell them you need Medical Assistance or MedicAid or whatever its called where you live - because the government is there to help those who can't afford it. BTW, if you're having a rough go of it financially, you might want to see if you can also qualify for Food Stamps and Cash Assistance too. I hope that info can help you and that you're feeling better soon.
http://home.comcast.net/~shadyladyfakes/ - my home page
http://photobucket.com/shadyladyfakes/ - my Enterprise screencaps (they're mainly close-ups!)

Distracted
Site Donor

Postby Distracted » Tue Aug 23, 2011 10:17 pm

This is, of course, assuming that you don't own any significant amount of property and don't make too much money to disqualify you from aid. It's entirely possible to work just enough to make ends meet (but not enough to afford to buy insurance or to afford surgery) and still make too much to qualify for Medicaid. I see it all the time.

In that instance you may want to see if there's a clinic for the "working poor" in your area. Doctors in clinics like that sometimes do pro-bono work, or at least discount their services and work with people on payment plans that won't ruin their credit rating. You also want to make sure that you don't have some form of insurance that goes with paying your tuition as a college student. A lot of the students I see at the college health center where I work don't know they have an insurance premium included with their tuition and fees because they didn't read the sheaf of papers they got when they registered.

Or you could just eliminate fat totally from your diet, shop online for an affordable insurance plan, buy insurance now, and get your gallbladder out just as soon as the preexisting conditions waiting period is over...for most plans this is 6 to 12 months. :roll:
Image sig by chrisis1033

Return to “General Chat”