What are you...

Just what it says on the tin.

Moderators: justTripn, Elessar, dark_rain

Elessar
Site Owner

Re: What are you...

Postby Elessar » Wed Jul 18, 2007 12:30 am

Kevin Thomas Riley wrote:
Elessar wrote:Plus, I kind of like this episode because I think for continuity's sake, it resembles, and should have been written to more CLOSELY resemble, the shape-shifting race that we saw on TNG on the episode where Wesley Crusher fell in love with that chick who was going to be Queen or Premier or whatever. It would have been cool to have seen an earlier encounter between Starfleet and that race, one where we had no clue (but the viewers put it together if they used the same race name) that these people were shapeshifters. It would have jived then with them finding out in surprise in that TNG episode that they were shapshifters.

Well, Fishstick was the same race as Kamala (Famke Janssen Drool) in TNG's The Perfect Mate. So there was that continuity. Granted they didn't make anything of it... and Kaitaama was certainly no Famke Janssen.

oh really! ok great, i was goofy.
"I call shotgun!"
"I call nine millimeter." - John and Cameron

Favorites:
Vulcan For...
Your Mom n' Me

Emberchyld
Commander
Commander

Postby Emberchyld » Wed Jul 18, 2007 1:48 am

Elessar wrote:ember are you flying here from Europe from the Con? Or did you just visit and get those cookies there? Laughing

Very Happy Just visit. I usually go once a year to Portugal for vacation (my grandparents live there) and a few times a year to France for work.

When there, I stock up. Normal people bring back fancy cheeses, wine, or souvenirs... I haunt the Carrefour or EcoMarche and bring back European Special K with chocolate (better than the US version), crackers, French weight watchers cakes, and those cookies...mmmm....

I go with an empty suitcase (carry-on) and come back with a full one!
"In order to be irreplaceable, one must always be different."
--Coco Chanel

Emberchyld's Livejournal: 45% dance, 45% skating, 5% Trying to convince others to watch Enterprise 5% everything else. You've been warned

JadziaKathryn
Commodore
Commodore
Show On Map: No

Postby JadziaKathryn » Wed Jul 18, 2007 1:52 am

My best friend loaned me The Handmaid's Tale tonight, which people have talked about in another board. I'll probably be up until 3 am reading it. (I'm a fairly fast reader, so it's not at all uncommon for me to read a book in a day or night, and I like to know how things end. I'll stay up late to finish a bad book, because I want to know the ending.)

Edit: Just finished it, and found my new signature quote. I guess it was an alright book. Mostly I liked the last part with the historians' conference.

dark_rain
Site Admin

Postby dark_rain » Thu Jul 19, 2007 9:23 pm

Watching: The silence of the lambs, not that scary, but I thought it was alright.
voo@octane2:~> uname -a
IRIX64 octane2 6.5 07080050 IP30

CoffeeCat
Fleet Captain
Fleet Captain

Postby CoffeeCat » Thu Jul 19, 2007 9:44 pm

Just watched - "Live Free or Die Hard" - I liked it. But then again, I tend to be easily amused. It certainly lived up to the Die Hard standard of Bruce Willis getting the shit beat out of him until you wonder why he isn't dead yet. Also, for bonus points there was a Tim Russ sighting.

Reading - I picked up an Ann Perry novel in the library. Hopefully I can concentrate long enough to read it.
Writing as TrekPyro.

Distracted
Site Donor

Postby Distracted » Fri Jul 20, 2007 1:08 am

Just finished the fourth book of "The Tales of the Otori" by Lian Hearn. I liked the first 3, but the last one...billed as "The Last Tale of the Otori"...was just too damned depressing. They're interesting, though, and very well written. The Japanese culture has always fascinated me.

Tales of the Otori

(Warning: Don't scroll down too far if you plan to read the books. This Wikipedia article has the entire plot summarized, almost like Cliffs Notes. MAJOR spoilers ahead.)
Image sig by chrisis1033

Linda
Commodore
Commodore

Postby Linda » Fri Jul 20, 2007 1:19 pm

I have always thought the Vulcan robes were based on the Japanese robes - especially the necklines. And in one of the ST movies, the Vulcans had these tall hats which also reminded me of some Japanese hats. Their formal behavior too, like the bowing, seems Japanaese.
Working on a major fan fic project. Two-thirds done. Hope to put it up in the not TOO distant future.

Reanok
Fleet Captain
Fleet Captain

Postby Reanok » Fri Jul 20, 2007 3:51 pm

Linda The Making of StarTrek book that Gene Roddenberry wrote about making the the original series the Vulcan Culture was based on Japanese Culture and Buddism also the robes the things you mentioned were supposed to represent that. I don't have my book on hand but definitely remember reading it

Linda
Commodore
Commodore

Postby Linda » Fri Jul 20, 2007 4:16 pm

Thanks, Reanok. Also the dark hair of Vulcans and skin tone remind me of the Japanese. And it is uncanny, a friend of mine has an adopted son who is Mayan. My friend's girlfriend is Japanese and has a son a year or two older than his own son. The two boys look like brothers. My daughter and grandkids who are Ojibwe (Chippewa) tribal members look a lot like these two boys. I think a lot of my Pagan spirituality and Native American cultural things get put into my fiction. I have found what I think is similar in Diane Duane's Romulan novels when her Romulans talk of 'the elements'. Some Vulcan novel, can't remember which, talked of 'the four directions'. I also can see the calmness of the Vulcans and the meditation as being buddhist like. And then, I practice Reiki, which is Japanese in origin. Wow, all these connections. And I just love it.
Working on a major fan fic project. Two-thirds done. Hope to put it up in the not TOO distant future.

Chris
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Postby Chris » Fri Jul 20, 2007 5:43 pm

CoffeeCat wrote:Just watched - "Live Free or Die Hard" - I liked it. But then again, I tend to be easily amused. It certainly lived up to the Die Hard standard of Bruce Willis getting the shit beat out of him until you wonder why he isn't dead yet. Also, for bonus points there was a Tim Russ sighting.

Reading - I picked up an Ann Perry novel in the library. Hopefully I can concentrate long enough to read it.

Saw it too when it first came out. I liked it too. Doesn't take much to amuse me either. Very Happy Also, noticed Tuvok.

TPoptarts
Commodore
Commodore

Postby TPoptarts » Sat Jul 21, 2007 4:13 am

Eating: pop tarts Laughing
Downloading: Transformers, Live Free or Die Hard
ImageImage

panyasan
Commodore
Commodore

Postby panyasan » Sat Jul 21, 2007 2:19 pm

Once my Japanese teacher invited me to her home, so she could dress me in one of her
kimono s. There are very expensive and like family possesion. It took us two hours to finally get me dressed, three layers of clothing. Your whole posture is changing after you are dressed in a kimono, you have to walk very straight. No running... just slowly walking.
It is much easier to where a yokata, the simple version of the kimono and often people wear these indoors.
BTW kimono comes from kimas the verb for to wear (among others) and mono, thing.
It is a thing to wear. Smile
Love is a verb.

Chapter 17 of Word of Ice is up!

https://www.fanfiction.net/s/8522099/17/World-of-Ice

The Naked Truth and other necessities of life

https://www.fanfiction.net/s/12056258/1 ... es-of-life

Jedikatie
Commander
Commander

Postby Jedikatie » Sat Jul 21, 2007 4:46 pm

Just as a note (I don't think anyone has done it yet, but just as a preventative reminder):

For anyone here who may be reading (or listening) to the newest Harry Potter book, please remember to put all discussion of that book in spoiler code for those who don't read (or listen) as fast as you do, or didn't run out to the bookstore to get it last night and have been trying to ignore all the news stories, etc. online and whatnot so they can enjoy the book themselves. Thank you.

I, for one, ordered mine from Amazon and I'm still waiting for it to arrive even though it's listed as having arrived at the UPS terminal only 5 miles from my house very early yesterday morning...
Was this the army that invaded your country, ma'am? No, officer, they were taller than that...

How about this one? I'm not sure--get them to march up and down a bit...

(From Terry Pratchett's Jingo)

TSara
Captain
Captain

Postby TSara » Sat Jul 21, 2007 4:51 pm

*still on cloud nine after meeting Conner*

Smile

Reading....Harry Potter and the Deathly Hollows.
"It can giggle all it wants, but the galaxy isn't gettin' any of our bourbon." -Trip to Malcolm Shuttlepod One

Archer: You missed T'Pol's latest bout with chopsticks.
Trip: Damn, dinner and a show.- Silent Enemy

http://www.myspace.com/hylndlas

http://tsara80.livejournal.com/

Shakabutt
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Postby Shakabutt » Sat Jul 21, 2007 10:44 pm

playing Taking Back Sunday - What's It Feel Like To Be A Ghost and smoking a cigarette Cool

Return to “General Chat”