X-Files 2 Finally!

Just what it says on the tin.

Moderators: justTripn, Elessar, dark_rain

Elessar
Site Owner

X-Files 2 Finally!

Postby Elessar » Tue Jul 17, 2007 5:05 am

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/19794062/

What I don't get is, how the hell can they "avoid" the alien conspiracy mythology? Anyone who watched the series finale knows that they left it on a cliff... How...how... HOW!? WTF Banghead
"I call shotgun!"
"I call nine millimeter." - John and Cameron

Favorites:
Vulcan For...
Your Mom n' Me

justTripn
Consigliere
Show On Map: No

Re: X-Files 2 Finally!

Postby justTripn » Tue Jul 17, 2007 10:50 am

And all the Mulder/Skully shippers have something new to worry about: They were together at the end of X-Files. Will they be married in the new film? What about their unsual baby? I can't remember, what was his condition?

Only slightly OT: Did anyone enjoy Lone Gunmen, a TV sequel to X-Files? (Our family did.) Does anyone but me and my husband remember the plot of the pilot episode? It was that someone in the military/industrial complex steers a plane (by remotely controling it) towards the World Trade Center, pretending to be a terrorist (to cause the U.S. to go to war.) This was PRE 9/11, so we can excuse the writers for inocently hitting on plot that forshadows a horrendous terroist act AND proposes an infuriating, blame-the-government conspiracy theory some wakos also propose. (Just to be clear, I don't think their is any causal connection between the show and later events. And I don't beleive the conspiracy theorists needed the show to be the way they are.) No one we mentioned it to right after 9/11 could even remember that show. We never ran into anyone who remembered the particular episode. Years later, we got the DVDs. Sure enouph, it's there.
I'm donating my body to science fiction.

CX
Commodore
Commodore

Postby CX » Tue Jul 17, 2007 11:54 am

I liked the show, and yes, I remember it. It was actually the first thng I thought of when I heard that it had happened.

evcake
Commodore
Commodore

Postby evcake » Tue Jul 17, 2007 5:53 pm

Yay! Can't wait.
It's flavored with passionfruit
an appropriate ingredient, don't you think?

Banner by JadziaKathryn

Bether6074
Site Donor

Postby Bether6074 » Tue Jul 17, 2007 8:31 pm

I know Gillian Anderson recently had a baby, so I kind of figured that any chance for a second movie happening was slim and none. That's so awesome! I saw the first movie 3 times in the theatre. Shock

As far as the baby goes, well the writers REALLY messed up there. Because, if you remember, Scully ended up giving the baby up to "protect" him. Anyone who knew the characters at all would have to know that they would never give up their child. Reuniting with him would be nice, though.

I highly doubt they would marry them even though they were so obviously (to me) soulmates. I really wouldn't mind seeing them together for an entire movie and not have to deal with that "a bee stung me right when I was about to kiss you for the first time" stuff. Boy was that scene intense. Maybe we'll get to see more spooning. Smile

Jedikatie
Commander
Commander

Postby Jedikatie » Tue Jul 17, 2007 9:50 pm

Well, I stopped watching before the last two seasons of the series, so I'm not going to bother seeing a movie about it... another movie wasn't something I was exactly clamoring for after the first one...
Was this the army that invaded your country, ma'am? No, officer, they were taller than that...

How about this one? I'm not sure--get them to march up and down a bit...

(From Terry Pratchett's Jingo)

Kevin Thomas Riley
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Postby Kevin Thomas Riley » Tue Jul 17, 2007 9:55 pm

Well, as someone who practically gave up on the show and don't remember much of the last few seasons, I don't really care about any new movie. Especially if said movie doesn't do anything about the "alien conspiracy".

And I never got the Mulder/Scully 'ship either, so there's not even that. Confused
She's got an awfully nice bum!
-Malcolm Reed on T'Pol, in Shuttlepod One

Elessar
Site Owner

Postby Elessar » Tue Jul 17, 2007 11:56 pm

Bah! Bah I say to all of you! Laughing

I loved that show... I was pissed when Mulder went off in Season 7 or 8, but he came back.. I don't know, maybe if I were waiting week-to-week as others may have been, to see if he came back, and then found he didn't for a whole year, I'd be more pissed, but I was able to just watch them back-to-back. That maybe why I'm more forgiving. I actually liked the last few seasons of the show, even though it became a big 4-way between Reyes, Dogget, Mulder and Scully. I actually liked Doggett just for his own character - I dind't at first, he was a total dick. But in between the lines there were things I liked. You could tell that when he first met Mulder that even though he had talked a lot of smack prior to that point about how goofy the man was and had all these wacked out, half-baked ideas, you could still tell that Doggett was in awe of him and his reputation as a great FBI agent. Especially later, when Doggett was facing actual X-Files that he couldn't figure out, he kept thinking to himself that Mulder could do it instantly. I didn't like Reyes as much for herself, even to the end, but I still liked the Reyes-Doggett dynamic.

I probably liked the introduction of the "new X-files investigators" probably because the way I interpreted the attitudes and statements about Mulder and Scully from that point on was in a kind of reverence. Reyes and Doggett, and consequently the viewer, was always aware that Reyes and Doggett would never be as good or as quick to figure something out as Mulder and Scully. Reyes has Mulder's openmindedness but never his intellect, Doggett had Scully's loyalty and doubt but never her medical knowledge or Mulder's quick wit. It was always exciting to see when they called in Scully for advice because it was like she was the First Lady of the X-Files and Mulder was the almighty God of the X-Files, the one you always thought "oh Mulder'd get thi sin a heartbeat", yet it didn't compromise the storytelling as a deus ex machina because he never showed up to save the day... which was the saving grace of the story while still being a real pain in the ass right up until the moment he returned.

As for the baby-thing, I can see your heartbreak over that Beth, but I honestly understood her actions because I'm not saying it would be easy, but if you were completely convinced that keeping him with you would only put him in danger, wouldn't you have to give him up? I mean it would be SO SO SO hard, but it would probably be the right thing to do, and in reality, I"m sure as a parent you would just HAVE to be leaning upon a conviction that you will go back for him someday when this is all over, it's probably the only way you could get through it.
"I call shotgun!"

Favorites:
Vulcan For...
Your Mom n' Me

Bether6074
Site Donor

Postby Bether6074 » Wed Jul 18, 2007 2:13 am

I loved the show too. The way they presented the relationship was just about perfect to me. Yes, I knew the movie wasn't high quality, but I just loved to watch the two of them interacting. The relationship had a tenderness that is very rarely displayed between couples on television. It was about friendship and trust and loyalty and caring and protectiveness...very much to my liking. And every teeny little sign of affection was quite powerful, IMO. I definitely adored them as a couple. I've always thought that Mulder was one of the best characters ever created for television. Very complex and pained, but mess with his girl and there would be hell to pay. I love Mulder. One of my most favorite TV characters. Of course, Trip is right up there too. Cool

I didn't like Doggett much. The best scene was when he walked in on Mulder and Scully right after Mulder woke up from being dead. (Sounds weird, but it is The X-Files) I think maybe he got a clue when he saw her just laying on Mulder and , even though she looked right at him (Doggett), she made it clear to him that she wasn't going to leave Mulder's side.

TPoptarts
Commodore
Commodore

Postby TPoptarts » Wed Jul 18, 2007 3:55 am

I should see if they have like the last season DVDs at the library or something because I missed it Crying or Very sad but yay bring on more X-Files Mr. Green though the bad news is if I watch the movie it'll probably bring back that silly X-Files stick figure comic strip I used to run at school (specifically Thursday's biology class Twisted Evil )
ImageImage

boushh
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Postby boushh » Thu Jul 19, 2007 4:15 am

I actually liked the movie. It wasn't as good as the show and obviously made to appeal to people that didn't watch the show, but I still enjoyed it quite a bit. I really think Mulder and Scully were awesome on the big screen.

As for how they could avoid the mythology... well I suppose they could have them be on the run and not in the FBI and somehow stumble upon a MOTW type thing going on in some town. I could see Mulder gravitating to that stuff regardless of what his situation is.

Mulder and Scully as a couple should just exist if it follows season 9. If it isn't I think people would just be all WTF if they followed the show for 9 years.

I do wish that they'd reunite them with William, but that would be mythology driven and I guess they don't want to go into that.

I understand why Scully gave him up but I feel that while she had good intentions, it probably wasn't the best thing to do. I think she may have put an unsuspecting family in danger. That's my problem with it. The episode where she gives him up is great though. I cried buckets...

Elessar
Site Owner

Postby Elessar » Thu Jul 19, 2007 7:37 am

Boushh we'll have to talk and talk and talk about this in NJ, but can YOU see any way in hell they can ignore the alien mythology while still writing a script that chronologically takes place AFTER the show?? I don't see how it could be done... they were on the RUN for christ's sake.
"I call shotgun!"

Favorites:
Vulcan For...
Your Mom n' Me

Bether6074
Site Donor

Postby Bether6074 » Thu Jul 19, 2007 11:32 am

I obviously loved the movie too, but I realized that it wasn't Oscar worthy or anything. Didn't stop me from multiple viewings. Smile

boushh
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Postby boushh » Fri Jul 20, 2007 4:36 am

Elessar wrote:Boushh we'll have to talk and talk and talk about this in NJ, but can YOU see any way in hell they can ignore the alien mythology while still writing a script that chronologically takes place AFTER the show?? I don't see how it could be done... they were on the RUN for christ's sake.

They might get away with a brief explanation through dialogue. They could just mention they are on the run from the government without mentioning that the government has been infiltrated by aliens, LOL.

What I would love to see would be a MOTW that would be succesful enough that might give us another movie that could then deal with the mythology...

Elessar
Site Owner

Postby Elessar » Tue Jul 31, 2007 2:05 am

tru dat
"I call shotgun!"

Favorites:
Vulcan For...
Your Mom n' Me

Return to “General Chat”