Just what it says on the tin.

Moderators: justTripn, Elessar, dark_rain

Silverbullet
Commodore
Commodore
Show On Map: No

Re: The Upsetting News Thread

Postby Silverbullet » Sat Oct 09, 2010 8:13 pm

Kotik, true skill is better than a piece of Paper but that piece of Paper can get one an interview where skill won't. You have a good resume now. but it took time to get it. Takes time to get that piece of paper too.
I can remember when in Germany I would see a persons name and Diplom (sp) next to it. Me I had to shoot my way out of school it was the only way out.

Linda, I do hope that your Granndaugters fall is not too hard. Experiece can be abitter teacher.

My Daughter got involved with this guy and has been with him for 15 years. They have three children one who has a rare syndrome (wolf Hisrchorn) she has the mental level of a three year old, is 13 and still needs to be diapered, she can only say a few words. So, my duaghter is stuck. Now she wonders why she got hooked up with this guy.. she regrets doing it. she has learned but the lesson didn't take until too late. I could not say anything as it would have driven her further towards him.

You tried, can't ask for anymor than that.

SB
I am Retired. Having a good time IS my job

Grrr
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Postby Grrr » Sun Oct 10, 2010 7:48 am

Linda-

Can she get her GED in your state? I've had several relatives that have dropped out of high school and gotten their GED and they are doing fine.

I wouldn't worry about her eating unless she is losing weight or there is a medical reason for you to worry. A couple of months of choosing between beef and chicken ramen noodles might be enlightening. Also some of us naturally just don't eat a lot. I generally eat one big meal a day and then snack on things like nuts and fruit. Maybe may a peanut butter sandwich for my second meal. My sister is the same way. And don't even mention food to me when I first wake up. Give me my decaf tea or water.

Kotik-
She can't get into college at this point. You have to have a high school diploma or a GED to get into college.

One area where our education system is severely lacking is foreign languages. The fact that you speak several language makes you more marketable than a lot of people. The first chance I got to take another language was in 9th grade(14). Since I lived in a rural area, the only choice was Spanish. I'm not saying that I went to a bad school either. It had one of the best science and math departments in the state.

Also what you studied while college made them want to recruit you. I have a degree in Anthropology. That qualifies me to either go to graduate school or say "Would you like fries with that?". I went for the third option and got married and learned to run a cash register. :D

Grrr

Linda
Commodore
Commodore

Postby Linda » Sun Oct 10, 2010 11:29 am

This is all good advice everyone! I guess we all have to struggle with life and make our own choices. Image does have options. And she knows her family will help financially if she wants to continue in school at some point or even just wants to get a meal or do a load of laundry.
Working on a major fan fic project. Two-thirds done. Hope to put it up in the not TOO distant future.

Linda
Commodore
Commodore

Postby Linda » Sun Nov 07, 2010 12:43 am

Gosh, I am the last one posting here after my last posts. Hope I am not hoging the thread. But I just heard that a friend, Donna, from the Robert Burns club (poetry society) has gone into hospice care. Her chemotherapy is not working and her cancer is spreading rapidly. The doctor says she has two weeks to a month. Donna says it will only be two days at the most. I believe Donna, because years ago when my aunt said she would be gone within a couple of days, she was right. Not that either Donna or my aunt wanted to go, but people just seem to have a sense about the end of their own lives. I am sad, but relieved that this will be the end to a whole lot of pain and struggle Donna has been going through over the past year and a half.
Working on a major fan fic project. Two-thirds done. Hope to put it up in the not TOO distant future.

WarpGirl
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Postby WarpGirl » Sun Nov 07, 2010 1:10 am

Well, hopefully the hospice will make her as comfortable as possible. And she must be a fortunate person since you are her friend. My sympathies. But at least she knows she won't have to suffer much longer.
Some of these people haven't taken their medication. Let's see what happens now...
Donna Moss: The West Wing

And by people WG had herself in mind, but then the quote would have been ruined.
Fics
May We Together Become Greater Than The Sum Of Us
*Rights,* Wrongs, and Choices

Alelou
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral
Twitter username: @sheerhubris

Postby Alelou » Sun Nov 07, 2010 1:31 am

That's sad news, Linda. I'm sorry.
OMG, ANOTHER new chapter! NORTH STAR Chapter 28
Image.Image
Read opening chapters free at Amazon (US): The Awful Mess: A Love Story
Blog: Sheer Hubris Press / Twitter: @sheerhubris / Facebook: Sandra Hutchison

justTripn
Consigliere

Postby justTripn » Sun Nov 07, 2010 1:36 am

Oh no! Linda, I'm so sorry. You are doing the right thing to stay engaged and to believe your friend and take her report at face value. Many friends turn away from sick friends or refuse to acknowledge what is happening. Warpgirl is right. It is good she has you as a friend. I'm sorry it must be hard. :hug: :(
I'm donating my body to science fiction.

Linda
Commodore
Commodore

Postby Linda » Sun Nov 07, 2010 8:30 pm

Thanks, everyone. Donna has a button she can press to get morphine. She has been taking the max dosage that she can get, so the pain is mostly under control. I hope they continue to give her enough to keep the pain under control.

enterprikayak
Token Canadian
Token Canadian

Postby enterprikayak » Sun Nov 07, 2010 8:48 pm

:hug: :( :hug: :(
|||||||||enterpriseScrybe & enterpriseScrybe2 TrekVids||||||||| www.trekref.info|||||||||www.TriaxTpolitan.com|||||||||
"Let's be honest with ourselves: there's nothing easy about the life we've chosen. But we don't do it because it's easy, dammit!
We do it because the tits are big and the bat'leths are sharp and the ships are fast!"

WarpGirl
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Postby WarpGirl » Sun Nov 07, 2010 8:55 pm

Giving morphine at the end is pretty common, I doubt they'll stop. It's cruel to do so. Hang in there.
Some of these people haven't taken their medication. Let's see what happens now...
Donna Moss: The West Wing

And by people WG had herself in mind, but then the quote would have been ruined.
Fics
May We Together Become Greater Than The Sum Of Us
*Rights,* Wrongs, and Choices

Silverbullet
Commodore
Commodore

Postby Silverbullet » Sun Nov 07, 2010 9:12 pm

Linda, I hope your friends struggle will be short. No one wants to lose someone but neither does one want to see such suffering.

wish Asso was still on the board. He could offer some solace.

SB
I am Retired. Having a good time IS my job

Distracted
Site Donor

Postby Distracted » Sun Nov 07, 2010 9:26 pm

If hospice is involved I'm sure that your friend is in good hands, Linda. Their whole aim is comfort care. She'll have peaceful quiet, relief of pain, and her family around her at the end.
Image sig by chrisis1033

Enerdhil
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Postby Enerdhil » Mon Nov 08, 2010 9:49 am

Distracted wrote:If hospice is involved I'm sure that your friend is in good hands, Linda. Their whole aim is comfort care. She'll have peaceful quiet, relief of pain, and her family around her at the end.

I agree. My sister in law passed through the same pattern about 2 months ago, due to an uterus cancer that spread very fast to other organs. But even after doctors told us she would not left the intensive care unit after the last surgery, she recovered enough to return to a standard room and maintained her life enough with the family around. I talked to her twice during her last week and she was not suffering. Hope your friend will share the same.

panyasan
Commodore
Commodore

Postby panyasan » Mon Nov 08, 2010 8:49 pm

:hug: Linda. I was sorry to hear about your friend.
Love is a verb.

Chapter 17 of Word of Ice is up!

https://www.fanfiction.net/s/8522099/17/World-of-Ice

The Naked Truth and other necessities of life

https://www.fanfiction.net/s/12056258/1 ... es-of-life

Linda
Commodore
Commodore

Postby Linda » Sun Nov 14, 2010 12:23 am

Donna passed away a couple of days ago now, peacefully after a day or so of unresponsive deep sleep or coma. It is sad to lose her but her pain and long stuggle with her cancer is now over. Thank you everyone for all the kind words.

Return to “General Chat”