Randomness

Just what it says on the tin.

Moderators: justTripn, Elessar, dark_rain

justTripn
Consigliere
Show On Map: No

Re: Randomness

Postby justTripn » Sat Jan 23, 2010 4:43 pm

????? The women didn't like the Star Trek posters ????? I think if they'd used a great big picture of Trip shooting his phase pistol (like I have in my office) they would have picked the Star Trek room.
I'm donating my body to science fiction.

Linda
Commodore
Commodore

Postby Linda » Sat Jan 23, 2010 4:45 pm

I haven't looked at any statistics, but in my thirty years working in computer operations and programming, women have been 50% and sometimes 60% of my co-workers. This is in public service though, first working for the city of Milwaukee, then for the state of Wisconsin, so maybe it is different in private industry. Do by Computer Science, they mean the people who design the hardware? If so, maybe that is more male dominated. The private sector is probably better paid. I have not been tagged as a geek very often, but I don't mind the label.
Working on a major fan fic project. Two-thirds done. Hope to put it up in the not TOO distant future.

justTripn
Consigliere

Postby justTripn » Sat Jan 23, 2010 4:56 pm

In many contexts I find myself in, I am surrounded by men. I was the only female in my class while I was an engineering major at a particular Christian college. Then in astronomy club, of course, there are alot of men. Now sometimes I forget that I'm different. Once at an executive meeting we were talking about some problem in the club and someone said, "It's not surprising we have these problems because we are such a diverse group." And I just laughed and said, "Are you kidding? We are all exactly the same." (There is a very particular personality type that becomes obsessed with astronomy.) Then I realized I had just said this to a group of older men, half of whom are retired.

WarpGirl
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Postby WarpGirl » Sat Jan 23, 2010 5:23 pm

OMG You guys I can't believe it. All this fuss over little old me. Well all of your guesses were correct! I'm having no internet at my house. My back went haywire and now I'm at the parents house, and I'm still up to my ears in Russia, so all of that adds up to my being absent. But seriously thanks for caring. Panyasan AWESOME LINK! Thanks. I'm going to get all caught up. MISSED you all too.
Some of these people haven't taken their medication. Let's see what happens now...
Donna Moss: The West Wing

And by people WG had herself in mind, but then the quote would have been ruined.
Fics
May We Together Become Greater Than The Sum Of Us
*Rights,* Wrongs, and Choices

Aquarius
Site Admin

Postby Aquarius » Sat Jan 23, 2010 5:44 pm

Seeing Star Trek posters somewhere I was thinking of working would make me want that job really, really bad.
Eian built my avatar! Banner by Misplaced!

Ludmila
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Postby Ludmila » Sat Jan 23, 2010 6:24 pm

Elessar wrote:Hey, anyone heard of this before? This video's kind of long (maybe 5 minutes?) and starts out cheesy but I think it's worth watching b/c it's a pretty remarkable engineering project.

http://www.miapoliscity.com/index.html
I mean, it's possible this NEVER HAPPENS, but it sounds like it'd be worth the investment. I think they said it'd cost $28 billion to build or something, it's absolutely a gargantuan undertaking, but it's also a green structure.

Looks pretty awesome.

Yes, awesome and very interesting project. I am glad that they think over the safety precautions for an evacuation in case of need.

justTripn
Consigliere

Postby justTripn » Sat Jan 23, 2010 6:40 pm

OK, I'll move in to Miopolis.

Ludmila
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Postby Ludmila » Sat Jan 23, 2010 6:47 pm

justTripn wrote:OK, I'll move in to Miopolis.

But its excessive illumination can prevent you to enjoy of looking at the sky of stars. ;-)

justTripn
Consigliere

Postby justTripn » Sat Jan 23, 2010 8:35 pm

Uhh . . . good point. I'll just look out across the ocean. Maybe that will work. Surprisingly, you can see the Milky Way from, say, Ocean City or Virgina Beach it you shield your eyes and look towards the ocean. Or I can leave Miatroplis once in a while and travel South to Key West. :)

HELP! How do I get anything done while Triaxian Silk sits here tempting me to chat?

Elessar
Site Owner

Postby Elessar » Sun Jan 24, 2010 5:30 am

justTripn wrote:Uhh . . . good point. I'll just look out across the ocean. Maybe that will work. Surprisingly, you can see the Milky Way from, say, Ocean City or Virgina Beach it you shield your eyes and look towards the ocean. Or I can leave Miatroplis once in a while and travel South to Key West. :)

HELP! How do I get anything done while Triaxian Silk sits here tempting me to chat?

Actually, they're going to have an observatory near the top. You should get a pretty good image at night from 3200 feet :) I'm sure they'll figure out a way to prevent IR and optical pollution.
"I call shotgun!"
"I call nine millimeter." - John and Cameron

Favorites:
Vulcan For...
Your Mom n' Me

justTripn
Consigliere

Postby justTripn » Sun Jan 24, 2010 4:30 pm

Hey! That's where we should locate our Star Trek retirement community: in Miaopolis. ;)

Kevin Thomas Riley
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Postby Kevin Thomas Riley » Sun Jan 24, 2010 6:32 pm

A Star Trek retirement community! What a brilliant idea!

We could have the nurses wear catsuits and/or short TOS skirts... :lol: Of course the male equivalents could wear something the Trek golden girls would appreciate. ;-)
She's got an awfully nice bum!
-Malcolm Reed on T'Pol, in Shuttlepod One

justTripn
Consigliere

Postby justTripn » Sun Jan 24, 2010 6:42 pm

:lol: I am imagining we will need a very large staff of young nerdy IT guys to keep our computers running smoothly.

Bether6074
Site Donor

Postby Bether6074 » Sun Jan 24, 2010 10:09 pm

Does anyone else find it very easy to nod off at the computer? I think all of the work hours are getting to me. Must be an early bedtime night.

Entilzha
Captain
Captain

Postby Entilzha » Sun Jan 24, 2010 10:16 pm

I start my day with eyes on a computer screen and end my day that way too. So no problem nodding off.
You live for The One, you die for The One.

Return to “General Chat”