Coding for fics

Report crashes, error messages, bugs here. Please copy and paste error messages as accurate as possible so we can correct the problem quickly, thank you!

Also now added: Any basic website/forum inquiries.

Moderators: justTripn, Elessar, dark_rain

dark_rain
Site Admin
Show On Map: No

Re: Coding for fics

Postby dark_rain » Tue Jan 13, 2009 6:27 pm

Clarification:

The new system should be able to pull the italics, bold, underlines and possibly limited font data from the word document without the code/tags. In fact, for security reasons it will probably ignore any code in the document.

There will be no automation for you lot. Sorry. :) The running of the system will still fall to the admins, it just will just make our lives a whole lot less painfull.
voo@octane2:~> uname -a
IRIX64 octane2 6.5 07080050 IP30

Alelou
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral
Twitter username: @sheerhubris

Postby Alelou » Tue Jan 13, 2009 7:01 pm

It's bound to be an improvement in any case, so hoorah.

Elessar, did you see the code Drusalis wrote for you for the Enterprise section?
OMG, ANOTHER new chapter! NORTH STAR Chapter 28
Image.Image
Read opening chapters free at Amazon (US): The Awful Mess: A Love Story
Blog: Sheer Hubris Press / Twitter: @sheerhubris / Facebook: Sandra Hutchison

Aquarius
Site Admin

Postby Aquarius » Wed Jan 14, 2009 2:48 am

Seriously, I don't mind the not uploading it myself thing. Though my stuff is beta-read, I like the fact that another pair of eyes is looking at it before I potentially humiliate myself publicly. One of you fine mods caught the fact that neither my beta nor myself could spell 'duratanium," and that was a lovely thing.

I also am looking forward to not having to worry about coding, since I probably don't do that right half the time any way. I know this new system is mostly there for the mods, but it simplifies things for people like me who are just trying to tell stories and aren't so good at jumping thru the coding hoops. :lol:
Eian built my avatar! Banner by Misplaced!

alt_Toza
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Postby alt_Toza » Sun Jul 26, 2009 4:26 pm

So... My first ever ST fic of any description is nearing completion, polishing-wise (I'm one of those people who never let out chapter one until the whole story has been completed and proof-read a million times for continuity as well as simple grammar/spelling mistakes).

I've uploaded quite a few stories to fanfiction.net and some to outside archives bent on their own interests (a few Doctor Who and Supernatural places), where - after your first chapter is vetted by admin - you basically upload a Word document without extra coding and then check it for formatting before you publish it yourself.

I understand we don't upload our own work to the TriaxianSilk archive, but send it to mods (phew! - suits me!). Sorry to seem a bit thick, but do we need to add all bold, italic and dividing lines between scenes in all Word documents sent? And, if I understand correctly, we must send the complete story to show we can actually get off our arses and finish a complete one? (Good thinking, Batman!)

Sorry if this has been changed or amended recently - been trawling through and have got a little confused at the updates.

:?
---

http://twitter.com/TozaBoma

"I don't wanna stoop that low - Kirk wouldn't stoop that low."
"That was a television show, John. And he made Priceline commercials."

Aquarius
Site Admin

Postby Aquarius » Sun Jul 26, 2009 5:00 pm

Yeah, there is a link for submission guidelines on the main page: http://www.triaxiansilk.com/index.php?page=submissions

Just send it to the email address at the top, and don't worry about coding or anything, as we don't do that any more.
Eian built my avatar! Banner by Misplaced!

Alelou
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral
Twitter username: @sheerhubris

Postby Alelou » Sun Jul 26, 2009 6:51 pm

The lines between scenes can be a bit hit or miss (the ones you add in Word will disappear and the admin may or may not remember where to put them all in manually). I personally use something like *** instead, even at ff.net, since even when I'm doing it to my own stuff I tend to forget to put all those dividing lines in manually.
OMG, ANOTHER new chapter! NORTH STAR Chapter 28
Image.Image
Read opening chapters free at Amazon (US): The Awful Mess: A Love Story
Blog: Sheer Hubris Press / Twitter: @sheerhubris / Facebook: Sandra Hutchison

alt_Toza
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Postby alt_Toza » Mon Jul 27, 2009 12:28 pm

Ta for guidance and advice, everyone.

:thumbsup: