Story comment Twilight Zone

Report crashes, error messages, bugs here. Please copy and paste error messages as accurate as possible so we can correct the problem quickly, thank you!

Also now added: Any basic website/forum inquiries.

Moderators: justTripn, Elessar, dark_rain

JadziaKathryn
Commodore
Commodore
Show On Map: No

Re: Story comment Twilight Zone

Postby JadziaKathryn » Tue Jan 29, 2008 6:09 am

Hmmm. I was looking at Z'Val and noticed the same phenomenon. I seem to have comments for Jedikatie's body swap story. :dunno:

Asso
Site Donor

Postby Asso » Tue Jan 29, 2008 10:48 am

Please, HopefulRomantic, lo at the comment I posted on your story. :)
It was the least I could do for you, in order to make you forgiving my unintentional intrusiveness. :D
Well yes. I continue to write. And on Fanfiction.Net, for those who want, it is possible to cast a glance at my latest efforts. We arrived to
The Ears of the Elves, chapter Forty-four

And here is the beginning of the whole story.

But, I must say, you could also find something else on Fanfiction.net written by me. If you want.

Jedikatie
Commander
Commander

Postby Jedikatie » Tue Jan 29, 2008 1:38 pm

For your information, HR--when the server crashed in April 2007, all information was lost, including the original story comment pages. The only thing that was recovered was a back up file for the site from 8 January 2007, and none of the story comment boxes was a part of that. I created brand new pages for every single story that was in existence for the site last May when the site came back up (and had a nice sheet of paper which listed each and every story and author and the box # on it which was pinned to the bulletin board by my computer that I added to every single time I added a new story).

So yes, it is Distracted's fault that the comments are not with the correct stories now. Because when stupid people delete entire files of information without having kept a record of what comment box # went with what story (because her deleting said file containing all those stories would not affect in any way, shape or form the comment boxes themselves, which are stored separately from the page--the only thing related to those comment boxes that is in the coding on the story pages is the number for the specific box for that specific story--and therefore those comments do still exist, she just has to put the correct box # with the correct story) in a separate file, or heaven forbid, on a piece of paper (which I did), then mistakes will be made when you try and restore the link from the comment box to the page.

And in regards to the images being one from the site from the fan creation page, they're gone because they were saved on someone's personal photobucket account and they deleted the image off from there, so no, Linda, they won't be restored by the people here. They don't have the information to restore those items.
Was this the army that invaded your country, ma'am? No, officer, they were taller than that...

How about this one? I'm not sure--get them to march up and down a bit...

(From Terry Pratchett's Jingo)

JadziaKathryn
Commodore
Commodore

Postby JadziaKathryn » Tue Jan 29, 2008 5:50 pm

Oh, well, mistakes happen.

justTripn
Consigliere

Postby justTripn » Tue Jan 29, 2008 5:52 pm

Jedikatie, thank you for those words of encouragement.
I'm donating my body to science fiction.

HopefulRomantic
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Postby HopefulRomantic » Tue Jan 29, 2008 11:45 pm

Asso wrote:Please, HopefulRomantic, lo at the comment I posted on your story. :)
It was the least I could do for you, in order to make you forgiving my unintentional intrusiveness. :D

My goodness, Asso, I didn't expect you to read that story. I know you're leery of Similitude pieces. I appreciate your stopping by. :) And I know you are an innocent bystander regarding the technical snafu.

Speaking of which...

JediKatie, I appreciate all the work you did to get the fanfiction back up last year. I get the impression you are a little (well, a lot) bent out of shape about something regarding this, and I'm sorry that you are so unhappy. I have no doubt that the archivists here do their best to get the job done, even if they lack your wealth of experience. And as JadziaKathryn said, mistakes do happen, and we all make them.

As for the "hijk incident," that was a momentary blip, solved within a day, if I remember correctly. I checked my stories after they reappeared, and all was well. No harm, no foul.

The avatar issue has already been seen to by Elessar. He just needs the spare time to put in the new links I gave him. He goes to school, or some waste-of-time thing like that. :wink:

TPoptarts
Commodore
Commodore

Postby TPoptarts » Wed Jan 30, 2008 12:04 am

:? I have the backup files... so like does it mean my backups don't have the # for their comment boxes?? :? :?: :dunno:
ImageImage

Elessar
Site Owner

Postby Elessar » Thu Jan 31, 2008 12:04 am

Ok

I realize this has been going on for awhile but I apologize I was not online during this time, my laptop was incommunicado. Dark_rain and I have been conferring on it, checking comment numbers and such and I just wanted to reply on what we've concluded:

TPoptarts wrote::? I have the backup files... so like does it mean my backups don't have the # for their comment boxes?? :? :?: :dunno:

They do. After a lot of looking, D_r and I have determined that a few of the stories in the backup you gave us were dated from Jan-April of 2007, between the date we opened and the crash. When we lost the database, the numbering scheme for comments reset. JK successfully saved all the comments to their new pages, but when we dropped in the backup after the HIJK deletion, some of them were pre-April 2007 database crash and thus referred to comment pages now occupied by NEW stories. Hence the comments for other stories appearing on a few HIJK authors whose stories were posted between January and April of 2007.

The upside is that this isn't very many stories to check and fix and that I'm in the process of doing it now. The downside, and I apologize for this, is that we did not have the presence of mind to anticipate this happening when we accepted what TPoptarts so graciously and LUCKILY had backed up, and so we essentially replaced the *fixed* January-April stories with not fixedso those of you who had stories posted between those months have lost those comments. For that I'm sorry, it's nobody's fault but mine for not thinking back to the April crash.

HopefulRomantic wrote:The avatar issue has already been seen to by Elessar. He just needs the spare time to put in the new links I gave him. He goes to school, or some waste-of-time thing like that. :wink:

That's absolutely correct. I noticed the dead links, asked HR about them, and she sent me links to new beautiful ones that I just haven't had the time to put up yet.

Jedikatie wrote:So yes, it is Distracted's fault that the comments are not with the correct stories now.

Absolutely incorrect. First of all it had nothing to do with D writing down or NOT writing down those numbers. We all panicked for a second when the deletion occured but thanks to Poptarts' die-hard obsession :lol: , we pulled out ok. Everybody has forgiven D as it was her absolute first time posting.

It was also nobody's fault because it was our understanding that the backup file originated post April 2007 and I failed to anticipate that a few of the stories could have fallen through the cracks and could have originated pre-crash. It's nobody's fault but mine, because I made the call to use the backups.

Incidentally, since you left we've made significant advances in keeping things backed up. I've downloaded the entire fanfic registry once a month since November 07, D_r has downloaded it and stored a copy in his survivalist fire-proof, flood-proof, nuclear holocaust-proof safe, and has downloaded the dbase once a month. So we're not goin anywhere anytime soon 8)

Since this thread is locked, if anyone has any further questions about it, I encourage you to PM me.
"I call shotgun!"
"I call nine millimeter." - John and Cameron

Favorites:
Vulcan For...
Your Mom n' Me

Return to “Bug Reports and Inquiries”