Most punctuation turned to question marks on my story

Report crashes, error messages, bugs here. Please copy and paste error messages as accurate as possible so we can correct the problem quickly, thank you!

Also now added: Any basic website/forum inquiries.

Moderators: justTripn, Elessar, dark_rain

justTripn
Consigliere
Show On Map: No

Most punctuation turned to question marks on my story

Postby justTripn » Mon Jan 01, 2007 3:11 am

Hi, it's justTrip'n. Most punctuation, or at least the double and single quotes and M-dashes have changed to question marks in my story--the New Years story. Or at least that's how it appears on my screen. Other stories look OK on my screen.

Jedikatie
Commander
Commander

Postby Jedikatie » Mon Jan 01, 2007 4:13 am

^
What browser are you using? I checked (using AOL, IE and Firefox) and it all appears okay on my screen.
Was this the army that invaded your country, ma'am? No, officer, they were taller than that...

How about this one? I'm not sure--get them to march up and down a bit...

(From Terry Pratchett's Jingo)

HopefulRomantic
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Postby HopefulRomantic » Mon Jan 01, 2007 5:36 am

Not a bug. A minor, incredibly anal observation made about your disclaimer at the bottom of the homepage... a leetle typo.

Disclaimer: Star Trek: Enterprise and its characters are copright CBS/Paramount....

I checked another page, saw the same thing. I assume they're all like that. Just thought you'd want to know.

Jedikatie
Commander
Commander

Postby Jedikatie » Mon Jan 01, 2007 1:19 pm

^
LOL. Thanks, HR. That's what I get for typing too fast...
Was this the army that invaded your country, ma'am? No, officer, they were taller than that...

justTripn
Consigliere

Postby justTripn » Mon Jan 01, 2007 4:02 pm

I'm using Firefox. The other stories look fine.

Ann

Jedikatie
Commander
Commander

Postby Jedikatie » Mon Jan 01, 2007 4:10 pm

Do you know what version? This is what it says on mine (under help, about mozilla firefox):

"Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; en-US; rv:1.8.1.1) Gecko/20061204 Firefox/2.0.0.1"

Is anyone else having this problem? Because I see the story perfectly fine in the Firefox version I downloaded...

Kenshin
Imager

Postby Kenshin » Mon Jan 01, 2007 5:29 pm

Arr,
I'm using the german version of Firefox so I don't know exactly how it's called in the english one, but take a look which Character Encoding you are using while you're on TriS. It should be on "western", I had it on "unicode" once and the same problem occured. Hope that helps.

Jedikatie
Commander
Commander

Postby Jedikatie » Mon Jan 01, 2007 6:04 pm

^
Thanks, Kenshin. Someone else also suggested to me that it might perhaps be the quotes in the story themselves (something about smart quotes not showing up in all formats...) I changed all the quotes from the 'curvy' version that was there before, we'll see if justTrip'n can see the story correctly now. I'll also double checked the characer encoding as you suggested. Smile

CX
Commodore
Commodore

Postby CX » Mon Jan 01, 2007 6:10 pm

Might want to do that with mine too, since someone said the same thing about them.

Jedikatie
Commander
Commander

Postby Jedikatie » Mon Jan 01, 2007 6:12 pm

^
Have to wait til later, unfortunately. It's almost time for me to go to work now.

justTripn
Consigliere

Postby justTripn » Mon Jan 01, 2007 6:55 pm

Thanks so much Jedikatie. I see it now! You are wonderful!

Jedikatie
Commander
Commander

Postby Jedikatie » Tue Jan 02, 2007 12:12 am

justTrip'n wrote:Thanks so much Jedikatie. I see it now! You are wonderful!

You're welcome.

Boushh listed on another board how to correct this problem for yourself in both Microsoft Works & Word, so it doesn't happen again... (and I've corrected it in mine as well).

boushh wrote:To get rid of smart quotes as you type go to TOOLS> AUTOCORRECT> AUTOFORMAT and uncheck the box that says Replace straight quotes with smart quotes.

I can't remember for sure how to get rid of smart quotes that are already in there... There is a way. My brain is just stuck on it at the moment.

ETA: I realized you said you used Works and not Word. There might be a similar process in it though.

I figured out how to change the quotes in a whole document in Word for anyone who is interested. Go to EDIT> REPLACE> Then in the Find box put in ' or " and do the same for the Replace box. Then click Replace All. Remember you have to have the option above unchecked for it to work though.

Return to “Bug Reports and Inquiries”