How we can help the tech guys

Report crashes, error messages, bugs here. Please copy and paste error messages as accurate as possible so we can correct the problem quickly, thank you!

Also now added: Any basic website/forum inquiries.

Moderators: justTripn, Elessar, dark_rain

Kotik

How we can help the tech guys

Postby Kotik » Tue Oct 02, 2012 12:44 pm

Since I'm being laid up sick at home, I've got a lot of time and re-read many stories by the truckload and I noticed that mis-assigned reviews (reviews appearing under the wrong stories) is a rather wide-spread phenomenon in our archive.
I have a rather good idea about what has gone wrong in the database to cause this effect and therefore I know that there isn't a simple way for the techies to correct it. What we need is either a transformation matrix or we need to find a common pattern. For that to work we need to assemble a complete list of mis-assigned comments. They are simply to identify by the fact that their contents do not match the displayed chapter's story-line.
So I would like to ask all, who have a bit of time to help assembling such a list and post their findings here. If at some point we have a complete list, it would allow the tech personnel to correct the according database entries.

1. HOWTO
Lets say you've just read a story or chapter and you're sure that the reviews do not match what you've just read. Now look at the URL in your browsers adress bar. It should look like either of these two:

Code: Select all

http://triaxiansilk.com/index.php?page=viewstory&id=280
http://triaxiansilk.com/index.php?page=viewstory&id=280&chapter=1

The important bits are the id=xxx and (if exists) the chapter=xxx bits. The id-value is the story-ID within the database and the chapter-value is (obviously) the chapter-ID within the story. Please note that for multi-chaptered stories the prologue or first chapter to not display the chapter= bit, because they are technically chapter 0 (we computer nerds love to start counting with 0, because a lot of zero is nearly as much as a little bit of one)
If you have the time, you may also try to look at the wrongly assigned stories that have already been found. Maybe you find a comment of yours and remember, which story you actually posted it for and can give the correct story- and chapter-ID. To call up a story from a table entry, just use the appropriate URL from the two examples above, paste it into your address bar and fill in the correct numbers for the id= and chapter= bits :)

2. The Matrix
I'll start with my findings so far and update as (hopefully) more submissions come in.

Preemptive Apology:
I hope the admin and tech staff won't take that as some sort of weird solo-attempt. I just thought, instead of just complaining about problems in the archive we'd be better off lending a hand for issue that we can help with

Return to “Bug Reports and Inquiries”