Weird story statistics

Report crashes, error messages, bugs here. Please copy and paste error messages as accurate as possible so we can correct the problem quickly, thank you!

Also now added: Any basic website/forum inquiries.

Moderators: justTripn, Elessar, dark_rain

Kotik

Weird story statistics

Postby Kotik » Thu Aug 02, 2012 11:19 am

I think the statistics displayed for our archive stories are completely wrong. According to the stats panyasans 2nd chapter had been read by 196 people 411 times - 5 hours ago. Now it says 202 people have read it 502 times :spiraleyes: So according to that 6 people have read the chapter 91 times within 5 hours. Does Not Compute :shock:

Could it be that search bot accesses are counted as story reads?

putaro
Captain
Captain
Show On Map: No

Re: Weird story statistics

Postby putaro » Thu Aug 02, 2012 11:29 am

I thought the stats were for the whole story, not each chapter.

Anyhow, it's obviously panyasan obsessively checking for reviews (I limit myself to once per hour)

Alelou
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral
Twitter username: @sheerhubris

Postby Alelou » Thu Aug 02, 2012 12:31 pm

Yeah, and readers who've left reviews also go back and check reviews to see if she's answered. It adds up quickly.
OMG, ANOTHER new chapter! NORTH STAR Chapter 28
Image.Image
Read opening chapters free at Amazon (US): The Awful Mess: A Love Story
Blog: Sheer Hubris Press / Twitter: @sheerhubris / Facebook: Sandra Hutchison

Kotik

Postby Kotik » Thu Aug 02, 2012 1:47 pm

Just out of curiosity i checked the "stats" on "Casus Belli" out of "Trip Of A Lifetime". Allegedly that has been read by 1088 people 2310 times. I know exactly two people, who like that story. Considering that I've been called some rather unflattering names over that story, I doubt that those numbers add up.

But then it could have been my "special friend" checking in often to steal ideas :evillol:

Alelou
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Postby Alelou » Thu Aug 02, 2012 2:19 pm

Unflattering names! I must go check those reviews just to see that...

I don't pay much attention to the stats here. Without a way to separate out repeat visits from the same person, I consider them fairly meaningless. And honestly, what I mostly gather from stats at fanfic.net are some general rules:

1) Get on the front page next to a new DP chapter from Rigil if you can. (Good luck with that.)
2) Summer weekends/weeks are slower.
3) Multi-chapter stories build up an audience over time, while one-shots often fail to get much notice.
4) Your stats will probably make you happier with nice big numbers on the first day if you post early in the (EST) morning.
5) If you really care about it -- say, because reviews are scarce -- the stats will somehow know this and go on the fritz for a day or two.
6) If you want big numbers, you must post at ff.net first, rather than watering down your responses by posting elsewhere first. (This is why the missing scenes from the first and fourth seasons have so many more reviews than the second and third, which ran here first.)

Does this prove I want big numbers? Yes, I'm that shallow. If nothing else, I like to have a baseline to compare myself against. I worked for years in direct mail, where the response rate is everything. I don't let numbers affect what I'm writing (a wonderful advantage over DM publishing, where that response would decide which of our books stayed in print and/or which of our copywriters and list managers was doing a good job), but I really love to see how they work out.
Image.Image

Kotik

Postby Kotik » Thu Aug 02, 2012 2:29 pm

Alelou wrote:Unflattering names! I must go check those reviews just to see that...

You won't see much in the reviews. I got exactly ONE rather critical review - and that came from you, which I'm thankful for. At least I knew what rubbed you the wrong way. Most of the name calling happened by PM on ff.net and by one person on this board. Thankfully our member left it at 'pervert', while being called a child molester was more than a one-time occurrence on ff.net.

And now for something completely (and entirely selfish) different: With you mildly immobilized, can we hope for a 20th chapter of "North Star" soon? :angel:

Alelou
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Postby Alelou » Thu Aug 02, 2012 2:58 pm

Mmmm....I confess, I'm having the hardest time with this chapter. Too many other things on my plate right now (which I'm procrastinating by being here). I might just have to put up a short one because I've kept people waiting so long.
Image.Image

panyasan
Commodore
Commodore

Postby panyasan » Thu Aug 02, 2012 8:32 pm

putaro wrote:I thought the stats were for the whole story, not each chapter.

Anyhow, it's obviously panyasan obsessively checking for reviews (I limit myself to once per hour)

Yes I do. I also want my stats to go up, so I kill two birds with one stone. :lol:
Love is a verb.

Chapter 17 of Word of Ice is up!

https://www.fanfiction.net/s/8522099/17/World-of-Ice

The Naked Truth and other necessities of life

https://www.fanfiction.net/s/12056258/1 ... es-of-life

Return to “Bug Reports and Inquiries”