Mangled files

Report crashes, error messages, bugs here. Please copy and paste error messages as accurate as possible so we can correct the problem quickly, thank you!

Also now added: Any basic website/forum inquiries.

Moderators: justTripn, Elessar, dark_rain

Kotik

Mangled files

Postby Kotik » Fri Jul 08, 2011 10:30 pm

I came across something strange lately:

I own 4 different laptops and I command 2 more comps at work, so I don't exchange files excessively. Usually, if I want to continue work on a story using a computer that I didn't write the original doc-file on, I just go to the 'sent message' section of the PM area and download the latest version that I sent to WarpGirl, because she gets to see my works after every major day of writing. Lately, I've noticed that this is no longer possible, because the attachements are completely scrambled. If I try to download a file that I sent to someone else by PM, all I get is utterly mangled binary garbage. Can you guys have a look at it, please ?

Cogito
Fleet Captain
Fleet Captain
Show On Map: No

Re: Mangled files

Postby Cogito » Sat Jul 09, 2011 12:19 am

I see the same thing. I haven't investigated to see how the files are corrupted, but they're corrupted.

mjimeyg
Site Admin

Postby mjimeyg » Sun Jul 10, 2011 1:01 pm

Could you both send me the files so I can view the results myself. It will probably help figure this out.

Cogito
Fleet Captain
Fleet Captain

Postby Cogito » Sun Jul 10, 2011 4:52 pm

Original and corrupted files have been sent.

Kotik

Postby Kotik » Mon Jul 11, 2011 1:07 am

Interestingly enough, the bare text is recoverable in a hex-editor, you just have to redo all the formatting. Looks like a botched conversion attempt to me :shock:

mjimeyg
Site Admin

Postby mjimeyg » Tue Jul 12, 2011 5:59 am

I have upgraded the phpBB software as an update was available.

Does this 'mangling' occur every time?

Aside the copies of the post 'mangled' files, the original copies arrived in perfect condition.

Having examined the code involved, there does not appear to be any server conversion aside from the renaming of the file to prevent code-injection.

If the problem occurs I would recommend checking for errors in whatever virus scanners you use or even you Word Processing applications.

Cogito
Fleet Captain
Fleet Captain

Postby Cogito » Tue Jul 12, 2011 8:20 am

Yes, in my case the originals arrived intact and it is only my 'sent' copy which appears to be mangled.

If you haven't tried it yet, you could try sending the 'original' copy of the file I sent you back to yourself. I expect you will see the same effect. I don't think this is an anti-virus or application issue.

mjimeyg
Site Admin

Postby mjimeyg » Tue Jul 12, 2011 8:49 am

Tried what you suggested, but still wound up with a perfectly formed file.

Return to “Bug Reports and Inquiries”