What's new since ...

Report crashes, error messages, bugs here. Please copy and paste error messages as accurate as possible so we can correct the problem quickly, thank you!

Also now added: Any basic website/forum inquiries.

Moderators: justTripn, Elessar, dark_rain

Cogito
Fleet Captain
Fleet Captain
Show On Map: No

What's new since ...

Postby Cogito » Tue Feb 08, 2011 11:47 pm

I use the 'View new posts' feature quite often, and it doesn't do quite what I want. This isn't a bug report, but more of a "wouldn't it be nice if ...".

Wouldn't it be great if the "View new posts" said what time it was showing new posts after?

Wouldn't it be great if I could explicitly "mark everything as read" by clicking a button/link somewhere so next time I visit this page it automatically only showed me things that were genuinely posted after my last visit? At the moment I guess it's based on session expiry, because visiting the same page too frequently keeps showing me an increasingly long list of topics, most of which I've already read.

Wouldn't it be great if I could also view recent posts starting from some user-defined point? What's new in the past hour, in the past day, past week, as well as since my last visit.

I've seen other forums implement this by using buttons instead of links; the buttons look like plain rectangles just like the ones in the post editor, and morph into drop-down menus showing the other options if you mouse over them without clicking. Or just click on the button to show "what's new".

dark_rain
Site Admin
Show On Map: No

Re: What's new since ...

Postby dark_rain » Thu Feb 17, 2011 1:23 pm

I use a different theme from the rest of our users here, but I can see a link on the forum home page that says "Mark all forums read" which does just as it says. I'll have a look a bit later to see if it is on the standard theme as well, and if it isn't I'll see about getting it added.

As for your other suggestions, they aren't bad ideas, but will require more tinkering behind the scenes. I'll look into it.

Dark,
voo@octane2:~> uname -a
IRIX64 octane2 6.5 07080050 IP30

Return to “Bug Reports and Inquiries”