Spam in archive comment and captcha code at forum login

Report crashes, error messages, bugs here. Please copy and paste error messages as accurate as possible so we can correct the problem quickly, thank you!

Also now added: Any basic website/forum inquiries.

Moderators: justTripn, Elessar, dark_rain

Aquarius
Site Admin

Spam in archive comment and captcha code at forum login

Postby Aquarius » Sun Jan 23, 2011 3:51 pm

While revisiting Elessar's "Vulcan for Valentine" today, I noticed something funky in the comments section. Just a bunch of code, but I didn't recognize the poster's handle so thought it might be an attempt at spam. Either way, it's nasty-looking, so I figured you guys might want to pull it out. Thought I'd be nice and point it out for you.

Also--when I logged in here to give you this heads-up, I was told by the forum that I had exceeded the permitted number of login attempts and was made to do a captcha code. Funny, since my browser remembers my username and password, so only one attempt was made, and it should've been successful. :wtf: So I don't know if that's a bug or something new you guys are doing or what.

Thanks.
Eian built my avatar! Banner by Misplaced!

justTripn
Consigliere
Show On Map: No

Re: Spam in archive comment and captcha code at forum login

Postby justTripn » Sun Jan 23, 2011 3:56 pm

Aquarius wrote:While revisiting Elessar's "Vulcan for Valentine" today, I noticed something funky in the comments section. Just a bunch of code, but I didn't recognize the poster's handle so thought it might be an attempt at spam. Either way, it's nasty-looking, so I figured you guys might want to pull it out. Thought I'd be nice and point it out for you.

Also--when I logged in here to give you this heads-up, I was told by the forum that I had exceeded the permitted number of login attempts and was made to do a captcha code. Funny, since my browser remembers my username and password, so only one attempt was made, and it should've been successful. :wtf: So I don't know if that's a bug or something new you guys are doing or what.

Thanks.

Yes, we have been fighting with that very problem. Thought it was solved. :( Anyway, you're here. :)
I'm donating my body to science fiction.

Aquarius
Site Admin

Postby Aquarius » Sun Jan 23, 2011 3:59 pm

Well, the main point is, somebody's been spamming your archive or something, so you might want to check that out.

Linda
Commodore
Commodore

Postby Linda » Sun Jan 23, 2011 4:54 pm

The captcha codes required for making comments on stories are becoming a real problem for me. Not sure how much of a problem it is for others, but last time I tried to make a comment, I had to run through about 15 code offerings before I selected and entered one that I thought I could copy with any hope of correctness. Can we have some codes that are a bit easier to read?
Working on a major fan fic project. Two-thirds done. Hope to put it up in the not TOO distant future.

Aquarius
Site Admin

Postby Aquarius » Sun Jan 23, 2011 7:25 pm

I know this has been pointed out before...

When leaving a comment, look at the captcha code box. Immediately below the "refresh" icon you click to get a new code, there's another icon--a speaker with waves coming out of it, universal for "sound". If you click that, you'll get an audio cue, and you can type in the code based on what you hear. This feature is included specifically for people who have trouble seeing the codes.

Failing that, you can also try enlarging it by using your browser's "zoom" feature, which will appear in a drop-down when you click "view" in the tool bar at the top of the window.

Unfortunately, making the codes "easier to read" defeats their purpose to varying degrees. You'd have a lot more of the type of thing I started this thread for in the first place (BTW, you're welcome, admins :D ), and worse.

Distracted
Site Donor

Postby Distracted » Sun Jan 23, 2011 8:57 pm

What she said. :D
Image sig by chrisis1033

Aquarius
Site Admin

Postby Aquarius » Sun Mar 06, 2011 11:40 pm

FYI still having login issues.

Return to “Bug Reports and Inquiries”