after successfully posting a comment ...

Report crashes, error messages, bugs here. Please copy and paste error messages as accurate as possible so we can correct the problem quickly, thank you!

Also now added: Any basic website/forum inquiries.

Moderators: justTripn, Elessar, dark_rain

Cogito
Fleet Captain
Fleet Captain
Show On Map: No

after successfully posting a comment ...

Postby Cogito » Sat Dec 11, 2010 4:20 pm

... my original text still appears in the comment box at the bottom of the page. I understand this feature was added recently to make it easier to retry a failed captcha, and I'm grateful for that improvement. But do we also need it when the post succeeded?

In a similar vein, it isn't always obvious when a post has failed since the page displays scrolled back up to the top - any message about the post failing is down the bottom and it's necessary to scroll down to find out whether the post succeeded. After a fair few munged captchas I've got into the habbit of scrolling back down to see my new comment to confirm it really did post OK.

It would be great if after a successful post the new page was automatically scrolled to the position of the new comment, and after a failed post it was scrolled to the position of the comment box (nicely filled in with the previous comment and with a message to explain why the post failed, as you already have it).

Hope this thread is the right way to make this suggestion - I've seen the new features discussed in various places but none seemed the right place to suggest enhancements to it.

justTripn
Consigliere
Show On Map: No

Re: after successfully posting a comment ...

Postby justTripn » Sat Dec 11, 2010 7:42 pm

Yes, let's put that on the wish list. I believe, mjimeyg said he has some important school work right now (or was it work-work), but those features would be great if and when he gets some free time. Thanks irreplaceable IT people. :)
I'm donating my body to science fiction.

Kotik

Re: after successfully posting a comment ...

Postby Kotik » Wed Jan 05, 2011 2:58 am

I think the reapearance of the comment in the textbox doesn't harm anyone as long as you don't send it again (which would require a re-entry of a new code anyways). I think it is still better than losing your comment because you mistyped the code, which is ridiciously hard to read at times. I don't even try to imagine, what hard a time people like Silverbullet have with that system. Since the "solution" for disappearing texts has been one of my suggestions, I shall also provide a solution for this issue:

If a POST transaction has been successful (comment has been posted), one could set a separate boolean variable, which avoids the generation of the text for the text field if that particular variable is set a bit like that :

Code: Select all

if ($post_was_successful==true) {
  echo "<textarea name=\"elm1\"></textarea>";
} else {
  if isset($POST["elm1"]) {
    echo "<textarea name=\"elm1\">".$POST["elm1"]."</textarea>";
  } else {
    echo "<textarea name=\"elm1\"></textarea>";
  }
}

cheers,
Kotik