Fic Posting Formatting Issues

Report crashes, error messages, bugs here. Please copy and paste error messages as accurate as possible so we can correct the problem quickly, thank you!

Also now added: Any basic website/forum inquiries.

Moderators: justTripn, Elessar, dark_rain

Aquarius
Site Admin

Re: New Fanfic Up!

Postby Aquarius » Sat Oct 02, 2010 4:34 pm

Honestly? I don't know. These problems aren't consistent. If I always had problems with underlining no matter what, I'd say yes, but that's not the case. Generally these problems seem to be a compatibility issue between some people's word processing settings and our editor software.
Eian built my avatar! Banner by Misplaced!

WarpGirl
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Postby WarpGirl » Sat Oct 02, 2010 5:16 pm

It's not a huge deal I was just curious. I've pretty much submitted my stories the same way everytime sometimes it's totally perfect, sometimes not. But total perfection isn't really all that necessary anyway.
Some of these people haven't taken their medication. Let's see what happens now...
Donna Moss: The West Wing

And by people WG had herself in mind, but then the quote would have been ruined.
Fics
May We Together Become Greater Than The Sum Of Us
*Rights,* Wrongs, and Choices

pdsldl
Captain
Captain
Show On Map: No

Postby pdsldl » Sat Oct 02, 2010 5:26 pm

Could you please move this discussion to a different thread so I stop getting email notifications of New Fanfics up? It's getting monotonous to have to keep checking them out or resetting the m ark as read setting so I get notified when a real story gets posted.
Always Follow Your Heart

http://psdunc.wordpress.com/

Aquarius
Site Admin

Re: Fic Posting Formatting Issues

Postby Aquarius » Sat Oct 02, 2010 8:43 pm

Sorry, pdsldl. Unfortunately not everyone pays attention to this section unless they're the one having a problem, so sometimes information like "No, don't manually put your code in" is better off added to the fanfic thread...which is why I let the discussion stray off-topic-but-not-quite so long.

At any rate, people, please use this section to report problem, for that reason...and the same goes for not mentioning it in the authors' feedback section in the archive, for the simple fact we won't necessarily be back once a story's posted in order to see that you've reported something.

Thanks.

honeybee
Fleet Captain
Fleet Captain

Postby honeybee » Sat Oct 02, 2010 8:58 pm

And I've seen a couple people ask about underlining -

Most of the time, if I post in Safari - it keeps underlining as well - but apparently it doesn't always. Underlining seems to have its own separate issues, some of which might be related to various versions of word.
Now Playing: Embers, Spark, Flame the Prequel to Family Secrets

Avatar made by Hopeful Romantic! Thanks!

aadarshinah
Captain
Captain

Postby aadarshinah » Sat Oct 02, 2010 9:01 pm

Well, I've had some thoughts on why the problems might be occurring. As I'm not sure exactly the process that is used to upload the stories, or what program is used, they may not apply, but....

1) Are you using

Code: Select all

[i][/i]
or

Code: Select all

[em][/em]
tags? The former, while correct, is the less prefered method of creating italics. Sometimes Firefox and Safari give you trouble for using the older tags, though they are still programed to recongize them. IE, being the more "for dummies" version, is usually better about catching them and closing off unclosed tags.

2) If it's always the same few people whose docs have this problem, they might all share the same word processing program, which could be the underlying cause. I for one use open office, and, though I save my docs as if they were from microsoft word, I sometimes have uploading problems with these docs that I didn't have when I was still using microsoft.... which, I guess simplified, means, it could be the writer's word software causing the problems.

Don't know if this helps, but thought I'd share...

Aquarius
Site Admin

Postby Aquarius » Sun Oct 03, 2010 2:55 am

I'll pass it on to the tech guys, but like I said, you're barking up the wrong tree. Honeybee and I copy and paste. We don't do the tagging. Most of the time, as it appears in Word (or whatever created the .doc) is how it gets transposed into the editor. Just sometimes things get..."lost in translation"?

I'm sure they're looking into it. But it's the weekend. And I bet they've got lives. ;-) 8) (Gee, I remember when I had one!! :shock: )

Aquarius
Site Admin

Postby Aquarius » Sun Oct 03, 2010 3:04 am

Sorry for the double-post!

I just PM'd the guys, with a link to this entire thread, because different people are having different issues and it all seems to relate to the same problem.

So just letting you know it's in their hands now, and if there's anything to be done, it'll be done.

In the meantime, if there are any more problems, please continue to report them in this section of the board.

Thanks muchly!

Alelou
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral
Twitter username: @sheerhubris

Postby Alelou » Sun Oct 03, 2010 11:37 am

And I will just reiterate that I didn't experience these issues after I followed the advice given by one of our techies after the new posting system went live to submit only in Word 97-2003 format (aka compatibility mode). For at least some time that even made it into the submission requirements -- but maybe it's gone now.
OMG, ANOTHER new chapter! NORTH STAR Chapter 28
Image.Image
Read opening chapters free at Amazon (US): The Awful Mess: A Love Story
Blog: Sheer Hubris Press / Twitter: @sheerhubris / Facebook: Sandra Hutchison

Alelou
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral
Twitter username: @sheerhubris

Postby Alelou » Sat Oct 09, 2010 12:15 am

The new section of "Mistakes" going up reminded me I hadn't finished reading the first section yet (and realistically speaking I probably won't until the grandkids have left), but I notice both halves of the chapter are labeled Part II on the drop down menu and in their titles. The body of the Chapter 14 - Part I is correct but if it is possible to fix the title that would be a lot less confusing.

EDIT: And it's the attack of the killer Chapter 14-Part II's!!! One of them is sitting at the top of Brandyjane's new story too.

Now I'm afraid to even click on another story just to see how long it is...
OMG, ANOTHER new chapter! NORTH STAR Chapter 28
Image.Image
Read opening chapters free at Amazon (US): The Awful Mess: A Love Story
Blog: Sheer Hubris Press / Twitter: @sheerhubris / Facebook: Sandra Hutchison

Return to “Bug Reports and Inquiries”