Accessing the site via phone

Report crashes, error messages, bugs here. Please copy and paste error messages as accurate as possible so we can correct the problem quickly, thank you!

Also now added: Any basic website/forum inquiries.

Moderators: justTripn, Elessar, dark_rain

Alelou
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral
Twitter username: @sheerhubris
Show On Map: No

Accessing the site via phone

Postby Alelou » Tue Aug 10, 2010 6:43 pm

Since our power was out for about four hours this morning (always nice to wake up at 5am to a screeching carbon monoxide alarm), I attempted to access this site via Blackberry -- which is possible, except that when I went to log in, it just kept giving me back the same page over and over instead of giving me a chance to actually log in.

Am I missing something? (Which is very likely?)

I had a similar problem with the NYSEG report-an-outage page. I got to a page where I had to choose between two options, so I highlighted the one I wanted and hit enter, and nothing happened. (Unlike this site, which would say it was requesting a new page, then just give me the same one over again.)

At least I finally figured out that the reason I couldn't log into my email was that passwords have to be entered in a completely different way than normal text. (Who came up with that brilliant idea????)

I know, I need a course in Modern Technology for Dummies.
OMG, ANOTHER new chapter! NORTH STAR Chapter 28
Image.Image
Read opening chapters free at Amazon (US): The Awful Mess: A Love Story
Blog: Sheer Hubris Press / Twitter: @sheerhubris / Facebook: Sandra Hutchison

Aquarius
Site Admin

Re: Accessing the site via phone

Postby Aquarius » Tue Aug 10, 2010 7:00 pm

What kind of browser does your blackberry use?

Ever since I've had internet-capable phones, I haven't really had problems with this site--just sometimes on older phones the flash menus were weird. Site works just fine on my Droid.

I believe you can download FireFox for various smart phones, including blackberries. Try that.
Eian built my avatar! Banner by Misplaced!

Alelou
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Postby Alelou » Tue Aug 10, 2010 7:29 pm

Oh no. I have to download something on a PHONE????

LOL. I'm really helpless with this. I had it for a year before I opened the browser, which is whatever it comes with. Verizon, maybe? I told my husband all I needed was a cell phone in case the car died or a maniac was threatening the campus (in which case, knowing our alert system, the maniac would have a two hour head start before any news got sent out to staff and all the students who aren't supposed to be using their cell phones in class would get the message before me anyway).

I know I should synch it with my computer, but I have hundreds and hundreds of obsolete contacts on this machine and I just don't want all that crap migrating over to yet another device until I can figure out how to make them go away. Stupid, I know.
Image.Image

Aquarius
Site Admin

Postby Aquarius » Tue Aug 10, 2010 7:40 pm

I have Verizon, but I don't think that dictates what browser you have. For example, I have an HTC Droid Eris, so my browser is most likely an Android ap specifically for HTC phones. You probably have something specifically for blackberry.

Your smart phone menu should have an applications market option in your menu somewhere. click on it, and search "fire fox", and go from there. I never got a blackberry because when I worked for Radio Shack years ago I didn't have a high opinion of Motorola phones (in my opinion, they're the least user-friendly in terms of interfaces, etc.. and my ex the IT guy says it's still true), so I'm not sure where/how to tell you to look...only that it should be doable. Downloads are quick and easy on Droids, but that's the extent of my knowledge.

dark_rain
Site Admin

Postby dark_rain » Tue Aug 10, 2010 7:54 pm

I know the site works fine with Windows phones, using both the Opera and Internet Explorer browsers since I use it regularly (HTC HD2). Since I don't have a blackberry I can't really comment but I will have a hunt around for any similar problems that may have been reported to phpbb support (the software the forum uses)

In the mean time you could try with Opera for Blackberry, which you can find here.

[EDIT] I thought Blackberrys were made by RIM, not Motorola but I may be wrong.
voo@octane2:~> uname -a
IRIX64 octane2 6.5 07080050 IP30

Alelou
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Postby Alelou » Tue Aug 10, 2010 8:07 pm

Thanks.
Image.Image

Aquarius
Site Admin

Postby Aquarius » Wed Aug 11, 2010 1:30 am

dark_rain wrote:[EDIT] I thought Blackberrys were made by RIM, not Motorola but I may be wrong.

There may be more than one manufacturer of Blackberry. My former coworker had one and the Motorola symbol was under the screen. There is more than one manufacturer of Droids, and Motorola is one of them. At the time when I bought mine, I had a choice of the Motorola and the HTC...and I chose the HTC for the aforementioned reasons.

honeybee
Fleet Captain
Fleet Captain

Postby honeybee » Wed Aug 11, 2010 2:06 pm

I've had no issues whatsoever accessing either the forum or the regular site, including comments, on the iphone's safari ap.

Just wanted to pipe up something positive.
Now Playing: Embers, Spark, Flame the Prequel to Family Secrets

Avatar made by Hopeful Romantic! Thanks!

Distracted
Site Donor

Postby Distracted » Wed Aug 11, 2010 2:49 pm

My phone's a second-hand Razor, so I don't have this problem. All it does is...well...make phone calls. :roll:
Image sig by chrisis1033

aadarshinah
Captain
Captain

Postby aadarshinah » Wed Aug 11, 2010 3:03 pm

Blackberries tend to have issues with their javascript plugins and their flash players. The only real way to get around that is to get a different phone. Blackberries are great for the communications aspects of phones - email, calls, texts, blackberry messenger. Windows devices are best for the business aspects - word, excel, and the various programs you can run on them. And iPhones are best for media uses - at least, that's what I used to tell people at AT&T.

Alelou
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Postby Alelou » Wed Aug 11, 2010 3:23 pm

Good to know.

I have a feeling that if I procrastinate long enough, this issue will just fade away with new technology.
Image.Image

aadarshinah
Captain
Captain

Postby aadarshinah » Wed Aug 11, 2010 3:54 pm

Maybe. the problem is inherant to the RIM operating system though - and RIM, or research in motion, is who makes the blackberries. but the os does allow you to send blackberry messages, which cannot be traced. Used a lot for insider trading. Bad news is, the north american blackberry server is in canada, so you can't use it in top secret positions....

Return to “Bug Reports and Inquiries”