Text Glitch

Report crashes, error messages, bugs here. Please copy and paste error messages as accurate as possible so we can correct the problem quickly, thank you!

Also now added: Any basic website/forum inquiries.

Moderators: justTripn, Elessar, dark_rain

honeybee
Fleet Captain
Fleet Captain

Text Glitch

Postby honeybee » Sun Jul 18, 2010 1:06 am

Kotik submitted some text that was in an unusual font - and I cut and pasted it into the archive but it came out as "????????". Is there a way around this? Can I tell Kotik what to substitute? Or should we just avoid weird fonts?
Now Playing: Embers, Spark, Flame the Prequel to Family Secrets

Avatar made by Hopeful Romantic! Thanks!

aadarshinah
Captain
Captain

Re: Text Glitch

Postby aadarshinah » Sun Jul 18, 2010 1:10 am

It was Russian alphabet. To best of my knowledge, unless the browser and various parts of the site are set up to acommedate it, the text won't render.

panyasan
Commodore
Commodore

Postby panyasan » Sun Jul 18, 2010 12:57 pm

aadarshinah wrote:It was Russian alphabet. To best of my knowledge, unless the browser and various parts of the site are set up to acommedate it, the text won't render.
That's correct. The only solution would to make a picture of the text and insert the text as a picture into the text. If that is problematic, the best way is write down the Russian in Roman script (the Roman alfabet we use on the site), the same that you would do with for example Japanese words.
Love is a verb.

Chapter 17 of Word of Ice is up!

https://www.fanfiction.net/s/8522099/17/World-of-Ice

The Naked Truth and other necessities of life

https://www.fanfiction.net/s/12056258/1 ... es-of-life

Enerdhil
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Postby Enerdhil » Mon Jul 19, 2010 8:50 pm

panyasan wrote:
aadarshinah wrote:It was Russian alphabet. To best of my knowledge, unless the browser and various parts of the site are set up to acommedate it, the text won't render.
That's correct. The only solution would to make a picture of the text and insert the text as a picture into the text. If that is problematic, the best way is write down the Russian in Roman script (the Roman alfabet we use on the site), the same that you would do with for example Japanese words.

I asked my son about (he knows Russian and it'a hell in computing) and he says that it should be enough to codify the text in UTF-8. That should handle the cyrillic alphabet.

EntAllat
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander
Google Talk: EntAllat

Postby EntAllat » Tue Jul 20, 2010 6:15 am

If the weird font is Russian (Cyrillic) your best bet is to paste it into something like TextEdit and take a screen shot to post as a picture.

Cyrillic is a UTF-8 character set. Those can only be displayed properly in posts on PHP's BBS system but that's typically done when the BBS is first configured upon setup. It can be done after-the-fact but involves editing the MySQL tables. I know somebody who could do it if it's really needed.

mjimeyg
Site Admin

Postby mjimeyg » Tue Jul 20, 2010 1:30 pm

The fanfic section is set to UTF-8, I added some more declarations though just incase. The databases are also set to UTF-8. It could be the TinyMCE editor we use or something else causing the problems. Without seeing the text in question, I can't say more.

If you still have trouble, send it to me and if necessary we will try entering it manually.

Return to “Bug Reports and Inquiries”