Strange problem in story comments

Report crashes, error messages, bugs here. Please copy and paste error messages as accurate as possible so we can correct the problem quickly, thank you!

Also now added: Any basic website/forum inquiries.

Moderators: justTripn, Elessar, dark_rain

Linda
Commodore
Commodore
Show On Map: No

Strange problem in story comments

Postby Linda » Wed Sep 09, 2009 8:03 pm

In my story "Enncounter in the Interstellar Night", the three most recent comments seem to be completely unrelated to the story. In fact, they seem unrelated to any story on this site, perhaps belong on another board unrelated to Star Trek or even science fiction. Is this a bad link? It is so strange.
Working on a major fan fic project. Two-thirds done. Hope to put it up in the not TOO distant future.

Asso
Site Donor

Re: Strange problem in story comments

Postby Asso » Wed Sep 09, 2009 8:18 pm

Linda, you are not the only one.
The last chapter of my "Depths" has some "unrelated" comments, as I said many times.
Well yes. I continue to write. And on Fanfiction.Net, for those who want, it is possible to cast a glance at my latest efforts. We arrived to
The Ears of the Elves, chapter Forty-four

And here is the beginning of the whole story.

But, I must say, you could also find something else on Fanfiction.net written by me. If you want.

justTripn
Consigliere

Postby justTripn » Wed Sep 09, 2009 11:41 pm

Wow! These are unrelated comments, but they follow real comments. IT people? How the heck? Is there a spam bot that can read and type in the secret code? And to what end?

Gerry
Sorry, I have understand nothing. I am from Herzegovina and also now am reading in English, give true I wrote the following sentence: "Salinas pliego, who allows the dividend-paying that stock however engaged, and the z foundation created an shareholder to increase multiple presentation gap to seeing purposes." With love :P, Gerry.

Britta
Good afternoon. You've achieved success in your field when you don't know whether what you're doing is work or play. Help me! It has to find sites on the: Kidney stone thinning balding hair bumps. I found only this - styles for thin straight hair. Symbolic hair can be molecular to the wolff-chaikoff probe. It delivers metal will ships by appearing with the african depicting overtreatment. THX :eek:, Britta from Bahamas.

Sissy
Hm. This is really fresh idea of the design of the site! I seldom met such in Internet. Good Work!. I am from Jordan and bad know English, give true I wrote the following sentence: "The only weird part about dating online is that instead of walking up to someone and introducing yourself, you have to summarize your entire life story into a couple of compelling paragraphs." THX Tongue, Sissy.
I'm donating my body to science fiction.

mjimeyg
Site Admin

Postby mjimeyg » Thu Sep 10, 2009 1:32 am

justTripn wrote:Wow! These are unrelated comments, but they follow real comments. IT people? How the heck? Is there a spam bot that can read and type in the secret code? And to what end?

Not much that can be done about that... maybe they have cracked the code or they really have a LOT of time on their hands.

Bottom line... these guys are IDIOTS... in every sense of the word.

Alelou
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral
Twitter username: @sheerhubris

Postby Alelou » Thu Sep 10, 2009 3:07 pm

mjimeyg wrote:
justTripn wrote:Wow! These are unrelated comments, but they follow real comments. IT people? How the heck? Is there a spam bot that can read and type in the secret code? And to what end?

Not much that can be done about that... maybe they have cracked the code or they really have a LOT of time on their hands.

Bottom line... these guys are IDIOTS... in every sense of the word.

Couldn't an admin delete those comments, though?
OMG, ANOTHER new chapter! NORTH STAR Chapter 28
Image.Image
Read opening chapters free at Amazon (US): The Awful Mess: A Love Story
Blog: Sheer Hubris Press / Twitter: @sheerhubris / Facebook: Sandra Hutchison

mjimeyg
Site Admin

Postby mjimeyg » Fri Sep 11, 2009 2:22 am

Its possible.

But the real issue would be preventing them from making the comments. Otherwise an admin has to sift through them. The issue with Spam is that it is frequent. Now that they have found a way to by pass it if it is automated, they will be more frequent.

Just writing a page for admins to delete comments is a fair bit of work. Writing a secure method of preventing the fraudsters would be much harder... especially as the CAPTCHA image is supposed to do it in the first place.

Alelou
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Postby Alelou » Fri Sep 11, 2009 5:53 pm

I thought editing and deleting those comments was already an option for admins. Did you lose that in the overhaul? I'd just say if an author notices weird stray comments, let an admin know and an admin can go in and snip snip snip. Just the same as an admin would if an author let him/her know that somebody had gotten obscene or vicious in the comments section.
Image.Image

mjimeyg
Site Admin

Postby mjimeyg » Fri Sep 11, 2009 11:21 pm

Alelou wrote:I thought editing and deleting those comments was already an option for admins. Did you lose that in the overhaul? I'd just say if an author notices weird stray comments, let an admin know and an admin can go in and snip snip snip. Just the same as an admin would if an author let him/her know that somebody had gotten obscene or vicious in the comments section.

That was the old system.

The old system had too many bugs in it to use in the new system.

I have just created a feature for admins so they can delete specific comments.

Whilst that is all well and good, it will mean more work for admins until we can sort out a better method of blocking spammers.

Linda
Commodore
Commodore

Postby Linda » Mon Sep 14, 2009 8:57 pm

It seems that more comments that are unrelated to my story or to anything on this site are continuing to collect in the comment area of "Encounter in the Interstellar Night". This is the only story of mine in which this is happening.

So what is actually happening? Are these people using the comment section of my story to communicate with each other? Or are these comments somehow "leaking" in from some other web site board without the comment makers knowing? They seem like a real conversation and not just nonsense verbiage. And will the comments just continue to fill up the comment space on my story?
Working on a major fan fic project. Two-thirds done. Hope to put it up in the not TOO distant future.

Alelou
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Postby Alelou » Tue Sep 15, 2009 6:12 pm

Bizarre. Your story has squatters.
Image.Image

Aquarius
Site Admin

Postby Aquarius » Wed Sep 16, 2009 3:39 am

I honestly have to say this is the most bizarre thing I've heard of. Who just decides "Hey, let's meet in this person's story comments section" and has a conversation? I mean, obviously somebody did...but I'm just wondering how and why this would even occur to them? :wtf:
Eian built my avatar! Banner by Misplaced!

Return to “Bug Reports and Inquiries”