Denial of Service

Report crashes, error messages, bugs here. Please copy and paste error messages as accurate as possible so we can correct the problem quickly, thank you!

Also now added: Any basic website/forum inquiries.

Moderators: justTripn, Elessar, dark_rain

Elessar
Site Owner

Denial of Service

Postby Elessar » Thu Jan 29, 2009 10:29 pm

As many of you have noticed, we have had some spotty service outages. I contacted HostMonster.com support and wanted to let you all know what I got back from them:

Hello,

Currently we're in the final phase of solving the DDOS attack that afflicted your server. We are moving you back to the Shared IP address. The propagation time can take up to 5 hours. This will finally resolve the DDOS attack and your site will be fully restored.

If you'd like to learn more about this kind of terrorist attack, check

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Denial-of-service_attack

And, of course, thank you for contacting support.

Brent L.
Support Level 1

Just for curiosity's sake, this doesn't mean we specifically were targeted with this DDOS attack, it was likely hundreds of domains perhaps across several server boxes. In Dark_rain's specific words, "I dont think we were the intended target, just a bystander caught in the blast." :lol:

Things should clear up over the next few hours as they have been fixing it all day.
"I call shotgun!"
"I call nine millimeter." - John and Cameron

Favorites:
Vulcan For...
Your Mom n' Me

evcake
Commodore
Commodore
Show On Map: No

Re: Denial of Service

Postby evcake » Thu Jan 29, 2009 10:40 pm

What a slimy thing to do. Some people have waaaay too much time on their hands.
It's flavored with passionfruit
an appropriate ingredient, don't you think?

Banner by JadziaKathryn

mjimeyg
Site Admin

Postby mjimeyg » Thu Jan 29, 2009 11:18 pm

Still... for a company with what is clearly a ton of customers and therefore money... they don't seem to have grasped the concept of redundancy. As an IT professional it makes me cringe! :banghead:

Alelou
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral
Twitter username: @sheerhubris

Postby Alelou » Fri Jan 30, 2009 12:39 am

From what I've read in the past, some of these attacks amount to extortion -- i.e. they'll try to get money from a company in exchange for NOT bringing them down. Or, they'll purposely attack in retaliation because they were prevented from achieving some nefarious criminal scheme with spam and bots or whatever that they had their hearts set on. They know they can drive a company out of business if they keep attacking.
OMG, ANOTHER new chapter! NORTH STAR Chapter 28
Image.Image
Read opening chapters free at Amazon (US): The Awful Mess: A Love Story
Blog: Sheer Hubris Press / Twitter: @sheerhubris / Facebook: Sandra Hutchison

dark_rain
Site Admin

Postby dark_rain » Fri Jan 30, 2009 12:48 am

mjimeyg wrote:Still... for a company with what is clearly a ton of customers and therefore money... they don't seem to have grasped the concept of redundancy. As an IT professional it makes me cringe! :banghead:

Well I wouldn't quite say that. From the looks of the reply we were on a temporary server. Not a great method of dealing with attacks but I guess its better than being down for 3 or 4 days straight. Other than that I'd have to agree, not having backup plans in the event of system damage/failure/attack is a criminal oversight and I've seen it cost dearly.
voo@octane2:~> uname -a
IRIX64 octane2 6.5 07080050 IP30

Aquarius
Site Admin

Postby Aquarius » Fri Jan 30, 2009 1:47 am

We lost over six months worth of posts at my Star Wars forum, because of a similar attack on ezBoards (now Yuku). It wasn't just us, HUNDREDS of forums were affected because a bunch of servers were taken out.
Eian built my avatar! Banner by Misplaced!

Return to “Bug Reports and Inquiries”