Do you like this? Prove it!

Website and forum announcements!

Moderators: justTripn, Elessar, dark_rain

mjimeyg
Site Admin

Do you like this? Prove it!

Postby mjimeyg » Sat Aug 20, 2011 9:51 am

If you've browsed lots of websites, you'll have seen the Facebook "Like" button everywhere.

World domination: 70% complete. :borg:

Well... we have jumped on the bandwagon. Technically we are being dragged along behind the bandwagon, but we are getting there.

You can now tell the world... or your friends... that you Like a story, you can share the link on your FB profile.

At the top of the comment section on each story/chapter is the Like and Share button... that's right, you get both!

It will also serve as a great alternative review option for those of us too lazy to type something.

So... why don't you all head over to the archive section and start Like-ing all those stories you... Like.

Two things to note:

1: Links to House of Tucker stories don't have a Like button, sorry, not my site, I don't know them and can't do anything about that.

2: If you don't want to show everyone on your FB page that you like the story... especially if it is a little... saucy :oops: then you can still Like it and then go to your FB page and tell it to remove the link from your page without un-Like-ing it... aren't Facebook nice Like that?

Well? Why are you still here?

Go!

Like!

Cogito
Fleet Captain
Fleet Captain
Show On Map: No

Re: Do you like this? Prove it!

Postby Cogito » Sat Aug 20, 2011 11:48 am

I'd give this announcement a 'thumbs up' to show I liked it, if I could see a way to do it. But I can't. I don't see any new links on stories published on the home page either. Whereabouts should I be looking?

mjimeyg
Site Admin

Postby mjimeyg » Sat Aug 20, 2011 12:31 pm

Cogito wrote:I'd give this announcement a 'thumbs up' to show I liked it, if I could see a way to do it. But I can't. I don't see any new links on stories published on the home page either. Whereabouts should I be looking?

At the top of the comments section on each story/chapter.

Cogito
Fleet Captain
Fleet Captain

Postby Cogito » Sat Aug 20, 2011 1:22 pm

Oh, I see you use a client-side script to render it. That explains why I'm not seeing it.

Am I right in thinking that this new feature is only useful to people who use facebook?

Silverbullet
Commodore
Commodore

Postby Silverbullet » Sat Aug 20, 2011 1:29 pm

Not on Facebook, willl never be on Facebook. Hope you all enjoy irt thtough

SB
I am Retired. Having a good time IS my job

WarpGirl
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Postby WarpGirl » Sat Aug 20, 2011 3:25 pm

I ditched facebook, but I think its a FANTASTIC idea! :clap: Will we owners know how many "likes" we get?
Some of these people haven't taken their medication. Let's see what happens now...
Donna Moss: The West Wing

And by people WG had herself in mind, but then the quote would have been ruined.
Fics
May We Together Become Greater Than The Sum Of Us
*Rights,* Wrongs, and Choices

Cogito
Fleet Captain
Fleet Captain

Postby Cogito » Sat Aug 20, 2011 5:00 pm

Yeah, I don't get the facebook thing either, but I'm sure there are plenty who do and it looks like a promising way to make the site more visible to the facebook community. I'd still like to see a simple 'thumbs up' system to let us express our approval for stories and forum posts.

WarpGirl
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Postby WarpGirl » Sat Aug 20, 2011 5:22 pm

The problem with facebook is that when your "friends" post something "off color" on their pages it pops up on your page and makes it look like you condone, approve, or are joining in on their misjudgements. Like my idiot cousins posting pics of flipping someone off. Jeeze I don't need to know about it! So no more facebook for me.

That said, I like this idea I hope we all get a lot of "likes."
Some of these people haven't taken their medication. Let's see what happens now...
Donna Moss: The West Wing

And by people WG had herself in mind, but then the quote would have been ruined.
Fics
May We Together Become Greater Than The Sum Of Us
*Rights,* Wrongs, and Choices

putaro
Captain
Captain

Postby putaro » Sun Aug 21, 2011 12:06 pm

WarpGirl wrote:The problem with facebook is that when your "friends" post something "off color" on their pages it pops up on your page and makes it look like you condone, approve, or are joining in on their misjudgements. Like my idiot cousins posting pics of flipping someone off. Jeeze I don't need to know about it! So no more facebook for me.

It doesn't work that way. It does show "news" from all your friends, but that's your view, not the world's view of you, unless they post it to your "Wall" OR you comment on it.

That said, one of the pleasures of being older is that I've weeded out the people who annoy me over the years and the only people I have as friends on Facebook are people I actually know and like and enjoy hearing from. It makes it much more pleasant :-).

justTripn
Consigliere

Postby justTripn » Mon Aug 22, 2011 2:22 pm

This is a wonderful idea! Thank you mjimeyg! And yes, I like facebook. :thumbsup:
I'm donating my body to science fiction.

Return to “Announcements”