Website and forum announcements!

Moderators: justTripn, Elessar, dark_rain

dark_rain
Site Admin
Show On Map: No

Changes to the Home page

Postby dark_rain » Fri Sep 04, 2009 6:07 am

Hi all,

As you might have noticed, we recently altered how new fics were displayed on the Home page (http://www.triaxiansilk.com/index.php) mjimeyg has altered the site so that it now only displays FIVE new stories at once instead of all the new stories for the past month, as it was getting really cluttered. Please let us know what you think.

Dark,
voo@octane2:~> uname -a
IRIX64 octane2 6.5 07080050 IP30

Alelou
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral
Twitter username: @sheerhubris

Re: Changes to the Home page

Postby Alelou » Fri Sep 04, 2009 11:09 am

I agree it was getting cluttered, but I think ten would be a better number. If the site is busy with fics, it means new stories might get bumped off the front page in very short order. Not everyone visits here daily. Or you make the rule everything within the last two weeks. You need to give stories some time in the sun before they're just another story in the archive.
OMG, ANOTHER new chapter! NORTH STAR Chapter 28
Image.Image
Read opening chapters free at Amazon (US): The Awful Mess: A Love Story
Blog: Sheer Hubris Press / Twitter: @sheerhubris / Facebook: Sandra Hutchison

Aquarius
Site Admin

Postby Aquarius » Fri Sep 04, 2009 2:00 pm

It was getting a little cluttered, yes, but I think I prefer the old way. We were pretty busy through August, a lot of new things getting added, and I'm concerned that authors aren't going to get their props if their stories fall off the front page so fast. Not everyone who reads the stories visits the forums, so they may not know that they can find previous updates by scrolling back a little in the "New Fanfic Up" thread. Even with a larger number like ten, if we have another busy month like August, we'd still have stuff falling off pretty quick.

Just my loose change.
Eian built my avatar! Banner by Misplaced!

WarpGirl
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Postby WarpGirl » Fri Sep 04, 2009 2:30 pm

I agree with the ladies.
Some of these people haven't taken their medication. Let's see what happens now...
Donna Moss: The West Wing

And by people WG had herself in mind, but then the quote would have been ruined.
Fics
May We Together Become Greater Than The Sum Of Us
*Rights,* Wrongs, and Choices

justTripn
Consigliere

Postby justTripn » Fri Sep 04, 2009 4:59 pm

I may take a month to read a new story. I have good intentions, but I don't get it done. For instance I finally read a Bluetiger story that had been sitting there a few weeks. I left a comment and went back to check it and it was gone.

Also, I want to read Escriba's story. If it doesn't sit there on my "to do" list (the front page), I may forget. Uh . . . Elessar's story is another that people may procrastinate on because it is multichapters. I think that old reposted stories should come off the front page quicker, after a like 4 days. That would clear up the problem.

Ann
I'm donating my body to science fiction.

Aquarius
Site Admin

Postby Aquarius » Fri Sep 04, 2009 6:43 pm

The reposting thingis going to be temporary, though, right? Like we'll be finished with that eventually, so any bloating of the front page is just going to be an inconvenience for now.

Other months are bound to be slower so it won't matter as much.

Another thing I thought of: when it's my shift to take care of the uploadng, I don't do a little bit every day. Rather, I devote one big chunk of time once or twice a week and do it all in one sitting because it's easier for me to manage my time that way. So with only five items displayed, if I've got seven things to upload, the first two automatically get screwed by accident of where they are in the cue.

Dinah
Commander
Commander

Postby Dinah » Sat Sep 05, 2009 12:36 am

I don't think the number of postings on the home page is the problem, it's the distribution. I really don't want to upset anyone who's stories are posted on the home page, but here goes. The majority of stories go into the first section (Trip and T'Pol). Your concerned about leaving them up for a month. Look down at Main Engineering or the poetry category. There are stories and poems in those sections that have been on the home page since 2008. Your home page should showcase current works. If you want to keep a minimum of 3-5 stories in every category, that's wonderful. But the other categories will all have more than five entries while stories will disappear from the Trip and T'Pol section almost before they're posted.

WarpGirl
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Postby WarpGirl » Sat Sep 05, 2009 12:39 am

That's very true Dinah. It's strange. Maybe people just don't write enough for the other sections.
Some of these people haven't taken their medication. Let's see what happens now...

And by people WG had herself in mind, but then the quote would have been ruined.
Fics

Alelou
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral
Twitter username: @sheerhubris

Postby Alelou » Sat Sep 05, 2009 12:40 am

Excellent point.

Frankly, it's kind of unfair to the stories that are the main reason we're here.
OMG, ANOTHER new chapter! NORTH STAR Chapter 28
Image.Image
Read opening chapters free at Amazon (US): The Awful Mess: A Love Story
Blog: Sheer Hubris Press / Twitter: @sheerhubris / Facebook: Sandra Hutchison

Aquarius
Site Admin

Postby Aquarius » Sat Sep 05, 2009 2:17 am

Dinah wrote:I don't think the number of postings on the home page is the problem, it's the distribution. I really don't want to upset anyone who's stories are posted on the home page, but here goes. The majority of stories go into the first section (Trip and T'Pol). Your concerned about leaving them up for a month. Look down at Main Engineering or the poetry category. There are stories and poems in those sections that have been on the home page since 2008. Your home page should showcase current works. If you want to keep a minimum of 3-5 stories in every category, that's wonderful. But the other categories will all have more than five entries while stories will disappear from the Trip and T'Pol section almost before they're posted.

No, you're absolutely right. There's no reason for anyone to get upset. TnT are the reason we're here, the rest of the stuff is ancillary. Maybe everything should have a 30-day run, and on day 31 it falls off. That would certainly keep things more fair, I think, across the board.

Distracted
Site Donor

Postby Distracted » Sat Sep 05, 2009 2:54 am

That might leave some lesser used areas empty on the main page for long periods. Do we want that?
Image sig by chrisis1033

WarpGirl
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Postby WarpGirl » Sat Sep 05, 2009 2:57 am

Well it is a pickle that's for sure.

Fics

Elessar
Site Owner

Postby Elessar » Sat Sep 05, 2009 3:47 am

Hey guys, we're going to lengthen it again... just limit it to 10 or 12 submissions to keep it manageable, yet complete.

Notes: I'm not sure I think we should change anything about the ancillary sections (good word Aq ;)), because they are updated so much less frequently. I don't think anything is missed by leaving up stories that are really old... it keeps them accessible to lurkers and passerby... and with the TnT section expanded (as I mentioned above) to around 10 or 12, we'll find that middle ground where plenty of submissions are kept alive.
"I call shotgun!"
"I call nine millimeter." - John and Cameron

Favorites:
Vulcan For...
Your Mom n' Me

Dinah
Commander
Commander

Postby Dinah » Sat Sep 05, 2009 12:40 pm

That sounds workable. I guess I just question whether each category needs to have 10 stories or poems listed at all times. Perhaps 5 or 6 postings on the home page for those ancillary sections makes more sense. If poetry, for example, suddenly becomes a hot section with lots of submissions, you have room to expand to ten works with a 30 days turnover. Contintuing to feature works from January 2008 seems only to accentuate the inactivity in that section.

WarpGirl
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Postby WarpGirl » Sat Sep 05, 2009 1:39 pm

What I wonder is maybe somebody could come up with a way to inspire a few more ancillary works around here. Because there are some odd ducks around here (me) who would absolutely love more. :dunno:

Fics

Return to “Announcements”