Star Trek: Foundations (temp thread)

Romulans, phase-inverters, friendships, OH MY!

Moderators: justTripn, Elessar, dark_rain

Escriba
Fleet Captain
Fleet Captain
Show On Map: No

Re: Star Trek: Foundations (temp thread)

Postby Escriba » Sat Jan 17, 2009 10:12 am

All in one, it looks much better.

Where are you going to put the ranks? On the other side of the uniform? On the shoulders?

"I mean... well, you know what people call men who wear wigs and gowns, don't you?"
"Yes, miss."
"You do?"
"Yes, miss. Lawyers, miss."

The Fifth Elephant by Terry Pratchett

CX
Commodore
Commodore

Postby CX » Sat Jan 17, 2009 5:03 pm

On the shoulders, right along the seam from the top of the sleeve.

Buurman
Lieutenant Junior Grade
Lieutenant Junior Grade

Postby Buurman » Sat Jan 17, 2009 11:25 pm

CX wrote:Any opinions on which version sounds better?

Actually, after seeing it, I like the 'one patch'-version better for looks (and the goldish lettering looked better imho) but I still think the separated version is logistically more sound. Not that that has ever stopped any military ^^
"It proves that even the most disagreeable species have some ... positive attributes." T'Pol, Bound

As finishing touch, God created the Dutch!

CX
Commodore
Commodore

Postby CX » Sun Jan 18, 2009 8:41 am

Silver and gold...

CX
Commodore
Commodore

Postby CX » Tue Jan 20, 2009 4:29 am

CX
Commodore
Commodore

Postby CX » Sat Jan 24, 2009 6:39 am

Coveralls, worn by anyone who has to get dirty and doesn't feel like wearing the ODUs.
And yes, they're totally based on the original ENT versions, I just made them a little better. :mrgreen:

CX
Commodore
Commodore

Postby CX » Tue Jan 27, 2009 12:33 am

Someone suggested small sleeve pockets on both the coveralls and the ODUs. I ended up adding them to the coveralls, but I've opted to leave the ODUs alone.

And with the Physical Training Uniform, this pretty much wraps it up for UESPA as far as uniforms

I may draw up the service caps and the less formal "ball cap" that would be worn with the ODUs and the coveralls later on, but I've had about enough of UESPA for the time being.

Here's the official UESPA seal though, of which a patch version would be worn on the right shoulder of all but the PTUS, and jacket-less service dress. There's also a two-tone version of it on the shorts of the PTUs in case you were wondering what that was.

CX
Commodore
Commodore

Postby CX » Mon Feb 02, 2009 4:28 am

Well, this is what I have done so far on the UEM service dress. You can't see the shirt under the jacket very well, but they're based on the color schemes I listed before. So basically I'm going to list them below and ask everyone what they like best:

I didn't do one based on modern British colors, but that would basically be a V5, and Marine colors would be V6, and they'd all actually be pretty close. Anyway, as soon as I get a feel for what people think is cool I'll work on more of the details, like the different insignia.

Dusalis Drake
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Postby Dusalis Drake » Tue Feb 03, 2009 4:23 am

I like V2 the most. I'm guessing that with ranking, ect. added it will look a lot better? Right now the uniforms with just the belt acting as the focal point are making me go :wtf:

Escriba
Fleet Captain
Fleet Captain

Postby Escriba » Sat Feb 07, 2009 6:53 pm

I like V3 best. Usually I'd rather black over grey, but grey works better in this case, to me.

"I mean... well, you know what people call men who wear wigs and gowns, don't you?"
"Yes, miss."
"You do?"
"Yes, miss. Lawyers, miss."

The Fifth Elephant by Terry Pratchett

CX
Commodore
Commodore

Postby CX » Mon Feb 16, 2009 12:56 am

I've decided to give the uniforms a rest for a while and I've started work on the EX-01:

CX
Commodore
Commodore

Postby CX » Mon Mar 30, 2009 6:37 am

I've been fairly busy of late, but since I'm trying to get back into it, one of the first things I've decided to do is go back and tweak the teaser of In Memoriam so Archer isn't as big of an asshat. Figured I'd post it up here before I officially updated it:

TEASER

FADE IN:

EXT. SPACE – TRINARY SYSTEM

We’re centered on three bright stars. Two of them are a bright yellow, similar to Sol, and they orbit each other closely. A kind of haze seems to surround them. Further away is a red dwarf.

Enterprise enters the scene, cruising toward the stars at impulse.

INT. ENTERPRISE – BRIDGE

The Alpha shift is all present and accounted for at their usual posts, save a certain chief engineer. CAPTAIN ARCHER sits brooding in his command chair, his chin resting on his fist as he stares at the image of the three stars on the viewscreen. He’s obviously not excited by the “discovery” at all. In fact, he looks like he’d rather be someplace else.

ARCHER
(impatiently)
Why were we sent out here again?

SUB-COMMANDER T’POL turns from her console to answer Archer’s question. From her mannerisms we can tell that she’s already answered this question more than once.

T’POL
We were sent to confirm the presence of a third star in this system, as previous sensor data was ambiguous.

ARCHER
(irritated)
Seems to be pretty obvious that there’re three of them now, wouldn’t you say, Sub-Commander?
(beat)
So, was that it?

T’Pol raises an eyebrow in consideration.

T’POL
I imagine that we are expected to conduct a preliminary survey of the system.

ARCHER
(critically)
So what are you waiting for?

Archer directs a glare at T’Pol, as if challenging her to respond to his insulting tone. She quirks an eyebrow as she responds.

T'POL
Initial scans are being completed now, Captain. I estimate three hours and twenty minutes before we have completely mapped this system.

The captain's expression darkens slightly during her comments and, over his shoulder, we can see other bridge crew exchanging uncomfortable looks. Clearly, the captain's foul mood is causing some tension.

ARCHER
(snide)
Then you should get to work, Sub-Commander.

MAJOR REED shifts uncomfortably in his chair and casts a disapproving look in Archer’s direction. It doesn’t go unnoticed. Archer immediately straightens up in his chair and glares at Reed.

ARCHER
Is there a problem, Major?

Reed hesitates for a short BEAT, weighing his answer.

REED
(carefully)
No, sir.

ARCHER
Then mind your panel.
(beat)
If it isn’t an Orion raider it’s a Vulcan cruiser or a Tellarite warship.
(beat)
I don’t want anyone getting the drop on us while we’re sitting here twiddling our thumbs.

The entire bridge crew tenses up, as the atmosphere becomes very uncomfortable. Archer fixates his attention on ENSIGN SATO at this point.

ARCHER
What about you, Ensign?

SATO
(nervously)
Sir?

ARCHER
(condescending)
There’s definitely precedence for habitable planets in trinary systems. Stands to reason that they might be inhabited, and since our primary mission is to seek out life and civilizations, we should probably be watching for any signs of it while we’re here.

The young woman is obviously hurt by the intimation that she isn’t doing her job, but Archer doesn’t seem to notice or care. Even T'Pol seems surprised at this and raises an eyebrow at the captain's tone.

SATO
(flabbergasted)
Aye, sir.

Sato does the only thing she can by turning back to her console and concentrating on the sound of the galaxy.

T'POL
Based on preliminary readings, the likelihood of discovering a Minshara-class planetary body is remote.

Once more, the captain gives his Vulcan science officer a dark look. She doesn't blink under his hostile expression, and both officers are ignorant of the thankful look Ensign Sato shoots the sub-commander. As T'Pol refuses to quail under Archer's hostility, it seems to occur to Archer that he shouldn’t be focusing on individuals, as he sends a sweeping glare around the entire room.

ARCHER
(angry)
We’ve been out here long enough that you should all know your jobs without me having to remind you.

Archer sits back in his chair and mulls for a BEAT.

ARCHER
I’ll be in my office. Call me if anything requires my attention.
(beat, rising)
And it’d better be good.
(beat)
You have the Bridge, Sub-Commander. But I want those scans done.

Without waiting for a response, he makes his way to the turbolift and exits the room, leaving behind a bewildered crew and more than a few ruffled feathers. T’Pol watches the closed turbolift door for a BEAT after Archer is gone, her stoic face giving away nothing. Finally, she raises an eyebrow as we…

FADE OUT.

END OF TEASER

CX
Commodore
Commodore

Postby CX » Mon Mar 30, 2009 6:38 am

Alelou
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral
Twitter username: @sheerhubris

Postby Alelou » Mon Mar 30, 2009 11:54 am

Hey, did you have flooding to cope with?
OMG, ANOTHER new chapter! NORTH STAR Chapter 28
Image.Image
Read opening chapters free at Amazon (US): The Awful Mess: A Love Story
Blog: Sheer Hubris Press / Twitter: @sheerhubris / Facebook: Sandra Hutchison

CX
Commodore
Commodore

Postby CX » Mon Mar 30, 2009 6:53 pm

Not really, Grand forks was smart and built 60 foot levees.

Return to “Non-Ship Fanfiction”