Star Trek: Foundations (temp thread)

Romulans, phase-inverters, friendships, OH MY!

Moderators: justTripn, Elessar, dark_rain

CX
Commodore
Commodore

Re: Star Trek: Foundations (temp thread)

Postby CX » Wed Jan 14, 2009 7:41 am

So, for the UESPA ODUs and the coveralls, which would be better for a name tag/department patch? Something based on the current Air Force version which includes both the name and the department symbol:
Or a separate name tag and department patch, with the department patch being on one of the pockets?

Escriba
Fleet Captain
Fleet Captain
Show On Map: No

Postby Escriba » Wed Jan 14, 2009 12:30 pm

CX wrote:I could also use quite a bit of help for finishing up on the uniforms. For instance, if anyone has some good drawings of the ENT coveralls done from the same perspective as the drawings I've done, I'd really appreciate it if you could share them with me - the bigger the better, because I have some, but they're tiny.

Uh, sorry, what do you mean exactly? I'm in the "obtuse for foreign languages" phase right now. Do you mean the jacket the crew wore when they were on away missions, on a planet? Or do you mean close captions of the normal uniforms?

CX wrote:I could also use some opinions on the UEM uniforms, mostly to do with the color scheme to use. I've already decided to use the uniform from Final Fantasy: The Spirits Within as the basis for the design, but I'm having trouble deciding on the color scheme to use for it.

I would say Swiss Army, but I think Modern US Army should be better.

CX wrote:I already have a fairly good bead on the Vulcans, Andorians, and Romulans as far as what I want to do with them, but I could use some hi-res reference pictures from the episode Stigma of this outfit:

Well, that isn't really necessary. Enterprise re-uses a lot of wardrobe, and that suit is what Koss wears in "The Forge" and "Kir'Shara".

Or Soval's suit on those episodes looks very similar:

Pic

Pic

Pic

Pic

Pic

Pic

Pic

Pic

Err... Okay, that's been a little obsesive/compulsive... :oops:

"I mean... well, you know what people call men who wear wigs and gowns, don't you?"
"Yes, miss."
"You do?"
"Yes, miss. Lawyers, miss."

The Fifth Elephant by Terry Pratchett

CX
Commodore
Commodore

Postby CX » Wed Jan 14, 2009 4:01 pm

Escriba wrote:Uh, sorry, what do you mean exactly? I'm in the "obtuse for foreign languages" phase right now. Do you mean the jacket the crew wore when they were on away missions, on a planet? Or do you mean close captions of the normal uniforms?

I meant their regular uniforms, but someone on another board already got me some good drawings.

Well, that isn't really necessary. Enterprise re-uses a lot of wardrobe, and that suit is what Koss wears in "The Forge" and "Kir'Shara".

Or Soval's suit on those episodes looks very similar:

Pic

Pic

Pic

Pic

Pic

Pic

Pic

Pic

Err... Okay, that's been a little obsesive/compulsive... :oops:

Cool. Got any of their feet for the end of their pant legs?

Escriba
Fleet Captain
Fleet Captain

Postby Escriba » Wed Jan 14, 2009 6:21 pm

CX wrote:Cool. Got any of their feet for the end of their pant legs?

I've tried, they aren't of very big quality, though (sorry):

Pic (a little more trousers than the others pictures is shown)

Pic

Pic

Pic (these two because they show how are the shoes; fetish, I know :lol:)

Pic (I don't think this helps much, really, but just in case...)

Pic

Pic

The last two show that Vulcans wear the robes over these suits. Other times they wear robes with those... kimono style skirts. In the Vulcan arch it seems as if they wear the suits as casual clothing and the kimonos are more... formal.

"I mean... well, you know what people call men who wear wigs and gowns, don't you?"
"Yes, miss."
"You do?"

CX
Commodore
Commodore

Postby CX » Wed Jan 14, 2009 8:48 pm

Thanks for digging these up for me, at least. I was kind of hoping to see if they did the end of the trousers the same as the end of the sleeves, but it's a bit hard to see one way or the other. :?

Escriba
Fleet Captain
Fleet Captain

Postby Escriba » Wed Jan 14, 2009 9:26 pm

Yeah, I know what you mean. But for what I see, they're normal trousers, no fancy things in them. Normal suit trousers which end at heels level (much like T'Pol's.) Like a business-man's, more or less. Very stylish, that is.

"Yes, miss."
"You do?"

Asso
Site Donor

Postby Asso » Wed Jan 14, 2009 10:47 pm

I suggest to use this for women, CX. Doesn't it look nice? :lol:

Oh don't get angry with me, please! You know I'm a... tease. :)
Joking apart, your efforts look very good. Bravo! :D
Well yes. I continue to write. And on Fanfiction.Net, for those who want, it is possible to cast a glance at my latest efforts. We arrived to
The Ears of the Elves, chapter Forty-four

And here is the beginning of the whole story.

But, I must say, you could also find something else on Fanfiction.net written by me. If you want.

CX
Commodore
Commodore

Postby CX » Thu Jan 15, 2009 4:05 am

CX wrote:So, for the UESPA ODUs and the coveralls, which would be better for a name tag/department patch? Something based on the current Air Force version which includes both the name and the department symbol:
Or a separate name tag and department patch, with the department patch being on one of the pockets?

Anyone have any thoughts on this?

Buurman
Lieutenant Junior Grade
Lieutenant Junior Grade

Postby Buurman » Thu Jan 15, 2009 11:04 am

I would separate them. It's both logistically more sound and I think it looks better.

In the Dutch army (to provide you with an example) the name-tag is on the right breast, the department tag on the collars, but this is only when in the 'office' suit (I can't really find how it's done in the 'flower' suit).

I'd say put the department tag on the breast as well. Right if you don't want to reserve that space for 'special' medals, left above the name tag (the name tag just above the breastpocket and the department tag just below the collarbone) otherwise.
"It proves that even the most disagreeable species have some ... positive attributes." T'Pol, Bound

As finishing touch, God created the Dutch!

Escriba
Fleet Captain
Fleet Captain

Postby Escriba » Thu Jan 15, 2009 11:35 am

Buurman wrote:I would separate them. It's both logistically more sound and I think it looks better.

Yeah, but wouldn't it be more practical to have the two in the same patch? In time of war, for example, if you have to re-use the uniforms, because making new uniforms is expensive, it's better to have the name and rank in the same patch to easily get it out and sew a new one. Ouch, that's been morbid of me :shock:

I don't know if these could help you, but I've draw two quick pictures of Vulcans.

The second looks too loose and camp, but I've never been able to get the "draw perfect perspective in five minutes" tecnique :) For the cuffs I've used a mixture between what Koos anf Soval's suits use.

"Yes, miss."
"You do?"

Buurman
Lieutenant Junior Grade
Lieutenant Junior Grade

Postby Buurman » Thu Jan 15, 2009 3:25 pm

Escriba wrote:
Buurman wrote:I would separate them. It's both logistically more sound and I think it looks better.

Yeah, but wouldn't it be more practical to have the two in the same patch? In time of war, for example, if you have to re-use the uniforms, because making new uniforms is expensive, it's better to have the name and rank in the same patch to easily get it out and sew a new one. Ouch, that's been morbid of me :shock:

There's that much difference between getting one larger patch out or two smaller patches, I think. Besides, ain't most of tha patches nowadays velcro? So you can just pull them off. Also, in this case you could re-use the department badge :D
"It proves that even the most disagreeable species have some ... positive attributes." T'Pol, Bound

As finishing touch, God created the Dutch!

CX
Commodore
Commodore

Postby CX » Thu Jan 15, 2009 3:28 pm

Better than I could probably draw by hand in any amount of time. ;)

CX
Commodore
Commodore

Postby CX » Sat Jan 17, 2009 3:48 am

Ok, I did a couple initial runs at the leather name/department patches for the ODUs and the coveralls.

This version has the department symbol incorporated into the name patch and would be worn just above the left pocket.

This version separates the name from the department patch. The name would still be worn above the left pocket, but the department patch would be worn centered on the left pocket itself.

Any opinions on which version sounds better?

CX
Commodore
Commodore

Postby CX » Sat Jan 17, 2009 4:43 am

An example of what I was talking about, BTW.

CX
Commodore
Commodore

Postby CX » Sat Jan 17, 2009 7:21 am

Changed colors for consistency.

Return to “Non-Ship Fanfiction”