Star Trek: Foundations (temp thread)

Romulans, phase-inverters, friendships, OH MY!

Moderators: justTripn, Elessar, dark_rain

CX
Commodore
Commodore

Star Trek: Foundations (temp thread)

Postby CX » Mon Apr 30, 2007 4:27 am

Since the old thread no longer exists, I thought I'd post a new one and bring everything up to date.

“One Small Step…” Part I Foundations Miniseries episode #1. Story by Erik Gustav Hanska, Jimi James, and PG15. Written by Erik Gustav Hanska, Rigil Kent, and Alex Z. Script first released on 21 March 2006. No date given. As Earth makes her first steps into deep space exploration, trouble erupts on Alpha Centauri. A colony wanting out enlists the help of an alien nation, and brings to a hault the mission of the newly commissioned UES Enterprise. Now a rookie crew and untested ship must do their best to end an uprising without bloodshed, and do it without the Vulcans pulling the plug on this newest endeavour by Earth.
“One Small Step…” Part II Foundations Miniseries episode #2. Story by Erik Gustav Hanska, Jimi James, and PG15. Written by Erik Gustav Hanska, Rigil Kent, and Alex Z. Script first released on 8 Jun 2006. 20 May 2152. A great mystery makes itself known, and the Enterprise is thrown into battle again as our adventure continues.
“Rubicon” Foundations episode #1. Story by Erik Gustav Hanska, Jimi James, and Rigil Kent. Screenplay by Rigil Kent. Script first released on 19 January 2007.
No date given. In no shape for a fight, Enterprise is caught in the middle of a tense situation as Alpha Centauri presses its cause for independence. Vulcan vows to mediate the disagreement, and will protect its mediator, but Earth doesn’t want to give up so easily.
“Flashpoint” Foundations episode #2. Story by Erik Gustav Hanska, Jimi James, and Rigil Kent. Screenplay by Rigil Kent. Script first released on 2 Febuary 2007.
No date given. Earth declares war on its rebellious colony and moves to attack. The Vulcan fleet will defend Alpha Centauri, and now Captain Archer is in a desperate race against time to bring them back from a war that seems inevitable.
“Recalcitrant Matter” Foundations episode #3. Story by the daft punk and Erik Gustav Hanska. Screenplay by Erik Gustav Hanska. Script first released on 16 February 2007.
7 July 2152. Responding to an alien distress signal, the crew of Enterprise learns that not everything is as it seems and a deadly new threat makes itself known...
“Shadows of Paradise” Foundations episode #4. Story by Erik Gustav Hanska, Rigil Kent, and Daegan A. Haller. Screenplay by Erik Gustav Hanska. Script first released on 2 March 2007.
No date given. Enterprise finds a previously undiscovered planet. With his crew on the verge of cabin fever, Captain Archer decides to use the planetary survey mission as an excuse for the crew to get some R&R on the planet. It seems like a tropical paradise, but beauty is only skin deep.
“Solitude” Foundations episode #5. Story by Terry Herman and Rigil Kent. Written by Rigil Kent. Script first released on 16 March 2007.
7 July 2152. Enterprise encounters a relic from the past. Driven to examine a piece of their history, the crew soon finds itself in a deadly trap.
“Objects at Rest” Foundations episode #6. Story by the daft punk and Erik Gustav Hanska. Screenplay by Rigil Kent. Script first released on 30 March 2007.
18 October 2152. Times have gotten tough for the Boomers, and some have turned to piracy. Enterprise is drawn into the complicated situation, unaware that not everything is as it appears...
“Objects in Motion” Foundations episode #7. Story by the daft punk and Erik Gustav Hanska. Screenplay by Rigil Kent. Script first released on 13 April 2007.
23 October 2152. The crew of Enterprise find themselves in a race against time to rescue missing crew members from the clutches of vile Orion slavers.
“A Coming of Age” Foundations episode #8. Story by Alex Z., Erik Gustav Hanska, and Rigil Kent. Screenplay by Alex Z. Script first released on 27 April 2007.
No date given. A pursuit for fugitives turns into a potential for disaster when an alien planet, poised on the edge of a new era of peace and exploration, is instead thrust back to the brink of war.
Last edited by CX on Thu Jul 20, 2017 9:08 am, edited 3 times in total.

Kevin Thomas Riley
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral
Show On Map: No

Re: Star Trek: Foundations

Postby Kevin Thomas Riley » Tue May 01, 2007 1:19 am

“A Coming of Age” Foundations episode #8. Story by Daegan A. Haller, CJ Sitter, and Rigil Kent. Screenplay by Daegan A. Haller. Script first released on 27 April 2007.
No date given. A pursuit for fugitives turns into a potential for disaster when an alien planet, poised on the edge of a new era of peace and exploration, is instead thrust back to the brink of war.

This episode didn't really do it for me. While an interesting take on a first contact/proto-prime directive story it felt a bit flat. It just didn't carry enough emotional punch I guess. For one thing the nameless world seemed all too Earth-like - with news anchors, rivaling nations, a U.N. - so much in fact that my mind conjured up images of 20th century Earth and Washington D.C. while reading. That took me out of the story.

It also seemed way too much bad luck that the rogue Boomer ship would drop out of warp only to immediately collide with the alien FTL ship. Time-wise and considering that space is really big that's just too much of a coincidence.

I wasn't too keen on the Chef thing either. Having him as something of a cross between Guinan and a counselor reminded me too much of how *the_abomination* tried to picture him. In itself it's not a bad role for the chef, but it felt a bit TATV-ish, sorry!

And I thought it was too reckless for Archer to start promising to share Earth technology with those natives so fast. He didn't really know much about them and their history then. That's not just inexperience but ineptitude on his part, and that was one of my main beefs with how Archer was portrayed on ENT.

But I did like the Trip/T'Pol interactions and the fact that you used Hoshi and her linguistic skills very well. Having her translating things and with difficulty felt realistic. The great Porthos hunt was cute but it had all the hallmarks of a B-plot not connected to the main story.

So I'm sorry that I cannot give anything higher than an average grade of five T'Bums.

Image Image Image Image Image
She's got an awfully nice bum!
-Malcolm Reed on T'Pol, in Shuttlepod One

CX
Commodore
Commodore

Postby CX » Tue May 01, 2007 1:58 am

This episode didn't really do it for me. While an interesting take on a first contact/proto-prime directive story it felt a bit flat. It just didn't carry enough emotional punch I guess. For one thing the nameless world seemed all too Earth-like - with news anchors, rivaling nations, a U.N. - so much in fact that my mind conjured up images of 20th century Earth and Washington D.C. while reading. That took me out of the story.

That was actually the point. Razz

It also seemed way too much bad luck that the rogue Boomer ship would drop out of warp only to immediately collide with the alien FTL ship. Time-wise and considering that space is really big that's just too much of a coincidence.

Well, like Forrest Gump said, "shit happens". Wink

I wasn't too keen on the Chef thing either. Having him as something of a cross between Guinan and a counselor reminded me too much of how *the_abomination* tried to picture him. In itself it's not a bad role for the chef, but it felt a bit TATV-ish, sorry!

*shrugs* I guess for me, I thought he'd be a good person to talk to since he's the resident old man.

And I thought it was too reckless for Archer to start promising to share Earth technology with those natives so fast. He didn't really know much about them and their history then. That's not just inexperience but ineptitude on his part, and that was one of my main beefs with how Archer was portrayed on ENT.

Again, a difference of opinion. FOr me, it was Archer looking at them and seeing Earth's struggle for FTL travel and how the Vulcans held back with them. Especailly what with how Papa Archer buys it. Wink

But I did like the Trip/T'Pol interactions and the fact that you used Hoshi and her linguistic skills very well. Having her translating things and with difficulty felt realistic. The great Porthos hunt was cute but it had all the hallmarks of a B-plot not connected to the main story.

Well, I'm glad you were able to enjoy it partially anyway.

blacknblue
Site Admin

Postby blacknblue » Tue May 01, 2007 3:25 am

I knid of thought it fit with Archer's established pattern of bullheaded foolishness when it comes to Vulcans. Once he knew that the Vulcans had interdicted that system and forbid anyone to interfere, you knew that he just HAD to go in there ro die in the attempt. Even if he got his whole crew killed and destroyed the native civilization in the process. With Archer, when it comes to Vulcans, if they say NO, then he will do it no matter what it costs. If a Vulcan is against it, AArcher's brain turns off and starts transmitting white noise and his irrational contrary reflexes kick in. He doesn't realize it, and would never admit it, but it a Vulcan advised him not to jump ou the airlock naked he would probably do it unless forcibly stopped, just because a Vulcan told him not to. I thought his behavior was completely in line with his irrational prejudice.

CX
Commodore
Commodore

Postby CX » Tue May 01, 2007 3:32 am

Hmmm.... Guess that's a bit further than we meant too. Fortunately Archer is going to be somewhat more toned down in the future as far as his prejudice against Vulcans goes. He is supposed to be a professional after all.

CX
Commodore
Commodore

Re: Star Trek: Foundations (temp thread)

Postby CX » Fri May 11, 2007 5:23 am

“Adrift” Foundations episode #9. Story by Erik Gustav Hanska and Rigil Kent. Screenplay by Erik Gustav Hanska. Script first released on 11 May 2007.
2 December 2152. The crew of Enterprise run into some unexpected company and what started out as a pleasant first contact with friendly people turns into a frantic search for missing crewmembers.
Last edited by CX on Thu Jul 20, 2017 9:09 am, edited 1 time in total.

blacknblue
Site Admin

Postby blacknblue » Fri May 11, 2007 2:06 pm

A nice rewrite on this one. Thank you for deleting that dream sequence. Smile
"When the legends die, the dreams end. When the dreams end, there is no more greatness."
--Tecumseh
"It is better to be a live jackal than a dead lion."
--King Solomon the Wise
"The needs of the many outweigh the needs of the few." Unless the few are armed.

CX
Commodore
Commodore

Postby CX » Fri May 11, 2007 3:17 pm

Thanks. Rigil and I were a bit worried at the reception this would receive since it's another episode redux (well, mostly Rigil was worried Very Happy). I did make something out of the dream though, something that's going to play into future events. Wink

blacknblue
Site Admin

Postby blacknblue » Fri May 11, 2007 3:59 pm

You mean a Trip/Malcolm rivalry? Perhaps a duel in the gym for the hand of the fair T'Pol?
"When the legends die, the dreams end. When the dreams end, there is no more greatness."
--Tecumseh
--King Solomon the Wise
"The needs of the many outweigh the needs of the few." Unless the few are armed.

CX
Commodore
Commodore

Postby CX » Sat May 12, 2007 3:59 pm

No.

blacknblue
Site Admin

Postby blacknblue » Sat May 12, 2007 10:14 pm

Malcolm goes after T'Pol?
--Tecumseh
--King Solomon the Wise

CX
Commodore
Commodore

Postby CX » Mon May 14, 2007 12:12 am

Hell no.

blacknblue
Site Admin

Postby blacknblue » Mon May 14, 2007 1:45 am

Gimme a hint.
--Tecumseh
--King Solomon the Wise

Kevin Thomas Riley
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral
Show On Map: No

Postby Kevin Thomas Riley » Mon May 14, 2007 3:38 am

Hm, all right, I've now read this and as with Shadows of Paradise this was a remake of a familiar real ENT episode. Shuttlepod One is one of my favourite ENT season one episodes and like SNW it really didn't need a remake. That is this episode's main drawback, as it was with Shadows of Paradise. In themselves they are quite good episodes but they're treading well-known paths. I understand the reason why you've made them. If I could go back in time and impersonate B&B and make ENT again, I sure would like to keep what worked. But it doesn't really work here because as readers we can't pretend that we haven't seen those episodes before. Better remakes in this context would be to make, say, Terra Nova again, 'cause that one sucked and could benefit from a major revamping.

So the Trip/Reed scenes, while good, weren't all that interesting to read. But I did like the expanded T'Bum talk, hehe.

I also liked how Reed agonized about leaving Forbes behind, even if it was just the dead body. BTW, you referred to Forbes as both a "Private" and a "Corporal".

I have a question as to why Enterprise's sensors couldn't find the shuttlepod. Normally the ship has very sensitive sensors that can pick up things from light-years away, but here we have a situation were the shuttlepod is in the immediate vicinity of the Enterprise when it gets lost. Are really the sensors on your Enterprise that primitive? And how effective have you established them to be previously (can't remember if that's been stated)?

I'm afraid that I can't give this a higher grade than an average five T'Bums.

Image Image Image Image Image
She's got an awfully nice bum!
-Malcolm Reed on T'Pol, in Shuttlepod One

CX
Commodore
Commodore

Postby CX » Mon May 14, 2007 11:52 am

blackn'blue wrote:Gimme a hint.

Can't, that would spoil it. Razz

Kevin Thomas Riley wrote:I have a question as to why Enterprise's sensors couldn't find the shuttlepod. Normally the ship has very sensitive sensors that can pick up things from light-years away, but here we have a situation were the shuttlepod is in the immediate vicinity of the Enterprise when it gets lost. Are really the sensors on your Enterprise that primitive? And how effective have you established them to be previously (can't remember if that's been stated)?

The sensors were briefly flash blinded by the explosion, and afterwads there was so much debris flying around that they couldn't get a fix. Remember, they were in the planet's ring system. Wink

Return to “Non-Ship Fanfiction”