New Info on Starfleet Academy Founding Date

Romulans, phase-inverters, friendships, OH MY!

Moderators: justTripn, Elessar, dark_rain

Elessar
Site Owner

New Info on Starfleet Academy Founding Date

Postby Elessar » Thu May 29, 2008 8:57 am

I'd never seen this before, but I think it was recently added to Memory Alpha - someone's good eyes caught this screen shot:

Showing that a 26 yr old ensign on the Enterprise must have graduated from the Academy in the 2140's. I don't like this. I don't like it because nowhere else in Enterprise is the Academy mentioned, ever, and now my 2161 founding date for it is totally wrong.

And you know what it was for? It was so Archer could whine about how many people he'd lost under his command in the Expanse and show someone some personal affects of someone who had died, Ensign Patricia O'Malley. Arg.

EDIT:

Ya know what! THEY screwed up! Not me! Look at this emblem!

It says 2161! Now, the memory alpha article rationalizes that this was when Starfleet Academy became the official Federation Starfleet Academy, but I don't buy it - I think they'd have used the same date that it was originally built if it was originally called Starfleet Academy.

I think some damn Enterprise set designer thought they'd toss an Academy plaque in there and they didn't check the books on when it was supposed to have been founded! :bitch: Why not just give her a damn University of Maryland diploma or something! :explode:
"I call shotgun!"
"I call nine millimeter." - John and Cameron

Favorites:
Vulcan For...
Your Mom n' Me

Alelou
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral
Twitter username: @sheerhubris
Show On Map: No

Re: New Info on Starfleet Academy Founding Date

Postby Alelou » Thu May 29, 2008 10:43 am

I can't even see a date on that diploma. But I don't think you need to worry about it anyway. When did Archer's dad die? How many sibs does Tucker have? They get stuff wrong all the time.
OMG, ANOTHER new chapter! NORTH STAR Chapter 28
Image.Image
Read opening chapters free at Amazon (US): The Awful Mess: A Love Story
Blog: Sheer Hubris Press / Twitter: @sheerhubris / Facebook: Sandra Hutchison

Lady Rainbow
Captain
Captain
Twitter username: ladyrainbow

Postby Lady Rainbow » Thu May 29, 2008 12:16 pm

I'm still stickin' to the 2161 date for the Academy. :D

2140's just doesn't sound right to me for some reason... :?
Avatar of Hoshi/Malcom "The Dogwalker" courtesy of ivymae at http://www.captainsoma.com/enterpriseoddities/main.html

Siggy complete with beagle! :)

CX
Commodore
Commodore

Postby CX » Thu May 29, 2008 1:14 pm

They admitted that they screwed up with that one. I guess they're just used to having everything be the way that it's always been. Serves them right for using the name "Starfleet" to begin with...

JadziaKathryn
Commodore
Commodore

Postby JadziaKathryn » Thu May 29, 2008 1:25 pm

Yes, but, realistically, what network executive is going to go for a Star Trek show without Starfleet?

CX
Commodore
Commodore

Postby CX » Thu May 29, 2008 1:29 pm

A smart one - something that doesn't exist.

HopefulRomantic
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Postby HopefulRomantic » Thu May 29, 2008 3:33 pm

Elessar... do you already have too much time on your hands, Graduate? :lol:

According to the stats, that picture has been at Memory Alpha for over two years. I remember that there was screeching from the Fan Continuity Squad right after Storm Front aired, and Coto or somebody said in an interview that it was a goof. They thought that it would look good on the set, but they didn't put two and two together. And yes, I agree, they should have had an intern in the office with a big fat Star Trek Encyclopaedia of Minutiae to head stuff like this off.

T'Pol's captain's log at the end of Zero Hour is dated "February 14, 2152," too. We all remember some goof or other. But so what? All shows have them. Like Alelou said, Archer had a father who died at two different times. That's a bigger goof than a random bit of set dressing meant to be seen in the background of a shot for 2 seconds.

Elessar
Site Owner

Postby Elessar » Thu May 29, 2008 7:27 pm

HopefulRomantic wrote:Elessar... do you already have too much time on your hands, Graduate? :lol:

According to the stats, that picture has been at Memory Alpha for over two years. I remember that there was screeching from the Fan Continuity Squad right after Storm Front aired, and Coto or somebody said in an interview that it was a goof. They thought that it would look good on the set, but they didn't put two and two together. And yes, I agree, they should have had an intern in the office with a big fat Star Trek Encyclopaedia of Minutiae to head stuff like this off.

T'Pol's captain's log at the end of Zero Hour is dated "February 14, 2152," too. We all remember some goof or other. But so what? All shows have them. Like Alelou said, Archer had a father who died at two different times. That's a bigger goof than a random bit of set dressing meant to be seen in the background of a shot for 2 seconds.

Yeah, that starlog one was BIG. To me that's the biggest. I mean it's audio.. played ON THE SHOW! :!:

Anyway, yes, I DO have far too much time on my hands. Lookin for a job that actually uses my head :?
"I call shotgun!"
"I call nine millimeter." - John and Cameron

Favorites:
Vulcan For...
Your Mom n' Me

Kevin Thomas Riley
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Postby Kevin Thomas Riley » Thu May 29, 2008 10:46 pm

CX wrote:They admitted that they screwed up with that one.

Yeah, I distinctly remember that. The term used on the show was something like "Starfleet Training" but no Academy. I tend to think of it as a Starfleet Training College or Starfleet Training Course. A future officer will get some degree at a normal civilian university and then have Starfleet training (much like you Elessar), or perhaps even simultaneously (which could explain Trip's meteoric rise through the ranks).

Then with the formation of the Federation in 2161, they decided to formalize it and make an Academy of the whole thing.
She's got an awfully nice bum!
-Malcolm Reed on T'Pol, in Shuttlepod One

Linda
Commodore
Commodore

Postby Linda » Fri May 30, 2008 12:31 pm

I wouldn't stress out over this. :duh: The contadictions in canon are legion. :vulcan: Odds are no one else will find this and you can use whatever founding date for the Academy fits into your own fan fiction! :thumbsup:
Working on a major fan fic project. Two-thirds done. Hope to put it up in the not TOO distant future.

blacknblue
Site Admin

Postby blacknblue » Fri May 30, 2008 8:01 pm

Chill dude. When they re-set the timeline all kinds of little errors crept in. Entropy increases no matter what you do. They were lucky to get things pieced back together as well as they did.
"When the legends die, the dreams end. When the dreams end, there is no more greatness."
--Tecumseh
"It is better to be a live jackal than a dead lion."
--King Solomon the Wise
"The needs of the many outweigh the needs of the few." Unless the few are armed.

Return to “Non-Ship Fanfiction”