Justice system in Ent area and Star fleet

Romulans, phase-inverters, friendships, OH MY!

Moderators: justTripn, Elessar, dark_rain

Kevin Thomas Riley
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral
Show On Map: No

Re: Justice system in Ent area and Star fleet

Postby Kevin Thomas Riley » Sun May 25, 2008 11:08 pm

CX wrote:The thing that confuses my is why Dr. Soong was apparently sitting in a Starfleet prison during the augment episodes.

Perhaps he had been employed by Starfleet when he did his original research? Who knows, maybe he even had a commission. Not as a line officer, mind you, but still part of Starfleet.
She's got an awfully nice bum!
-Malcolm Reed on T'Pol, in Shuttlepod One

Linda
Commodore
Commodore

Postby Linda » Tue May 27, 2008 1:14 pm

Maybe Soong was just a civilian employee of Starfleet? There are precedents today for that. Or the company he worked for had a contract with Starfleet?
Working on a major fan fic project. Two-thirds done. Hope to put it up in the not TOO distant future.

CX
Commodore
Commodore

Postby CX » Tue May 27, 2008 2:41 pm

A civilian contractor would still be sent to a Federal prison today though. Although this is one more example of how, despite what Archer said about Starfleet not being a military, it showed us that it is. Would NASA have its own prison system? I kinda doubt it.

As for the United Earth thing, canon tells us that Earth was completely united by 2150 at the latest. A lot of people take the dialog that told us that to mean that Australia was the las hold out for whatever reason, but it was just being used by Crusher (IIRC) as an example for if Earth hadn't been united at the time of the Federation's founding, and if that would've prevented Earth's entry into the Federation.

Kevin Thomas Riley
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Postby Kevin Thomas Riley » Tue May 27, 2008 10:48 pm

CX wrote:A civilian contractor would still be sent to a Federal prison today though. Although this is one more example of how, despite what Archer said about Starfleet not being a military, it showed us that it is. Would NASA have its own prison system? I kinda doubt it.

Quite! Which is why I tend to think that Soong wasn't a civilian but had a commission with Starfleet. Unless of course Earth itself in this era is much more militaristic/fascist/communist (take your pick) than we're lead to believe.
She's got an awfully nice bum!
-Malcolm Reed on T'Pol, in Shuttlepod One

Lady Rainbow
Captain
Captain
Twitter username: ladyrainbow

Postby Lady Rainbow » Thu May 29, 2008 12:22 pm

Kevin Thomas Riley wrote:
CX wrote:A civilian contractor would still be sent to a Federal prison today though. Although this is one more example of how, despite what Archer said about Starfleet not being a military, it showed us that it is. Would NASA have its own prison system? I kinda doubt it.

Quite! Which is why I tend to think that Soong wasn't a civilian but had a commission with Starfleet. Unless of course Earth itself in this era is much more militaristic/fascist/communist (take your pick) than we're lead to believe.

I think Soong either had a (reserve?) commission w/Starfleet or he was in employment w/them. Maybe he was working for Section 31? I don't think even S31 would ignore someone of Soong's brilliance (even if he was a bit loopy) and NOT try to recruit him somehow.

And I think you might be right, KTR. Even though Starfleet might seem like the noble instituition, it really isn't THAT long after the Eugenics Wars and First Contact, so it makes sense that Earth might still have some "protective measures" in place for its civilians. Starfleet and Earth still has a ways to go before TNG, or even TOS.
Avatar of Hoshi/Malcom "The Dogwalker" courtesy of ivymae at http://www.captainsoma.com/enterpriseoddities/main.html

Siggy complete with beagle! :)

Asso
Site Donor

Postby Asso » Thu May 29, 2008 1:47 pm

Lady Rainbow wrote: Starfleet and Earth still has a ways to go before TNG, or even TOS.

And maybe even beyond.
I was always under the impression that Earth Star Fleet wasn't only an "Exploration Star Fleet".
Well yes. I continue to write. And on Fanfiction.Net, for those who want, it is possible to cast a glance at my latest efforts. We arrived to
The Ears of the Elves, chapter Forty-four

And here is the beginning of the whole story.

But, I must say, you could also find something else on Fanfiction.net written by me. If you want.

panyasan
Commodore
Commodore

Postby panyasan » Wed Jun 11, 2008 8:21 pm

Thanks everyone for your input! I can really use your ideas. I finally started to write a story (remembering the saying Just start writing) and I am really enjoying writing :D
Love is a verb.

Chapter 17 of Word of Ice is up!

https://www.fanfiction.net/s/8522099/17/World-of-Ice

The Naked Truth and other necessities of life

https://www.fanfiction.net/s/12056258/1 ... es-of-life

Linda
Commodore
Commodore

Postby Linda » Mon Jun 30, 2008 1:42 pm

In TOS, both Kirk and Spock were defendants in court martial cases. I think every series had at least one such episode and it seemed military style rather than civilian. Why don't you take a look at the TOS episodes first as that is what the ENT justice system must have evolved into. Or have your ENT story follow more what form the current military justice system(s) on earth are like. Well, guess I am a bit late getting into this discussion. I hope you write your story and submit to Triax.
Working on a major fan fic project. Two-thirds done. Hope to put it up in the not TOO distant future.

panyasan
Commodore
Commodore

Postby panyasan » Mon Jun 30, 2008 7:39 pm

Thanks, Linda, for your advice. It is really a good idea to take a look at the TOS episodes, esp. when it comes to the :vulcan: Vulcan point of view.
Love is a verb.

Chapter 17 of Word of Ice is up!

https://www.fanfiction.net/s/8522099/17/World-of-Ice

The Naked Truth and other necessities of life

https://www.fanfiction.net/s/12056258/1 ... es-of-life

Return to “Non-Ship Fanfiction”