windows on Enterprise

Romulans, phase-inverters, friendships, OH MY!

Moderators: justTripn, Elessar, dark_rain

justTripn
Consigliere
Show On Map: No

windows on Enterprise

Postby justTripn » Thu May 15, 2008 9:48 pm

Do Trip and/or T'Pol's quarters on Enterprise have windows? Are windows common for crew quarters?

I'm plugging along with my ending to "Brainstorm." *Sigh* Delayed by Spring, mostly. It usually is tempting to go outside and walk the dog or something, rather than write. :(
I'm donating my body to science fiction.

Kevin Thomas Riley
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Re: windows on Enterprise

Postby Kevin Thomas Riley » Thu May 15, 2008 10:12 pm

justTripn wrote:Do Trip and/or T'Pol's quarters on Enterprise have windows?

Yes and yes. Trip's quarters are located on the starboard side and T'Pol's on the port.

Are windows common for crew quarters?

That depends. Most officers' quarters seems to have windows (or portholes). But for some reason Malcolm's hasn't, but Hoshi's does, which is strange since he outranks her.

You should check out Anti Drone's amazing NX-01 deck plans. :thumbsup:
She's got an awfully nice bum!
-Malcolm Reed on T'Pol, in Shuttlepod One

justTripn
Consigliere

Postby justTripn » Thu May 15, 2008 10:13 pm

THANK YOU!

hth2k
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Postby hth2k » Thu May 15, 2008 10:24 pm

Just a wierd thought. Considering the issues with real windows on a space ship what if those "windows" are actually a thin applique (sp?) on the internal wall connected to a micro "camera"/sensor on the outer hull. The occupants would have the same experience without punchong holes in the structure. The cameras would be tied into the computer system for security and allow one to inspect any part of the hull as well as provide a "view" for the occupants.

Any compartment could have windows or viewports of this type or not of varying sizes.

HtH

Kevin Thomas Riley
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Postby Kevin Thomas Riley » Thu May 15, 2008 11:16 pm

^ Interesting thought... but as can be seen on the show, these are real windows/portholes. There are numerous instances when we can see into the ship from the outside.

But maybe they had that kind of system in the TOS era, since the NCC-1701 didn't seem to have much in the way of windows/portholes.

justTripn
Consigliere

Postby justTripn » Fri May 16, 2008 12:58 am

I just remembered a window on Harbinger. Duh!

I think there is something less satisfying with a viewscreen (as on the bridge) compared to a window, but . . . .

Well, speaking as an amateur astronomer. I can google astronomical objects easily from home, but I actually point a telescope to see them live. Hmm . . . on the other hand there is video astronomy which is almost live . . . Ok, I don't know . . . I want to look through a window!!!

hth2k
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Postby hth2k » Fri May 16, 2008 1:16 am

Think if the display as something that you could peel and stick to any surface to create a large area or small area display. Now add to that a pixel density something on the order of Kodachrome 25. Add the sensor having the capibility to cover spectrum beyond visual +UV and IR add wide angle and telephoto capibilities. All would be controlled via the computer. I think I'd ditch the window. Consider the safety factor. The shuttle windows are half an inch or so thick if I recall correctly and they are three layers deep. Have you seen the damage caused by the paint flake while in orbit?

Yeah, I rarely drag a scope out any longer. Sometimes I go to a club event and bum some photons from one of those there. Mostly I can find what I want on line, see more and better. These old eyes are not what they used to be. I don't tolerate the cold as well and can't lug a big scope any more. Actually I guess a 17" would be considered in the medium-small range any more. :-}

HtH

HtH

Alelou
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral
Twitter username: @sheerhubris

Postby Alelou » Fri May 16, 2008 1:50 am

Kevin Thomas Riley wrote:
But for some reason Malcolm's hasn't.

Malcolm likes to feel he's well-hidden from a hostile universe, especially while sleeping.
OMG, ANOTHER new chapter! NORTH STAR Chapter 28
Image.Image
Read opening chapters free at Amazon (US): The Awful Mess: A Love Story
Blog: Sheer Hubris Press / Twitter: @sheerhubris / Facebook: Sandra Hutchison

enterprikayak
Token Canadian
Token Canadian

Postby enterprikayak » Fri May 16, 2008 5:20 am

hth2k wrote:Think if the display as something that you could peel and stick to any surface to create a large area or small area display. Now add to that a pixel density something on the order of Kodachrome 25.

I've often wondered how many years it would be until everyone gets big peel-and-stick type thin films on their walls that act as a screen. Screen wallpaper.

Now, if you were to (for realism) put some glass in front of that image and hang curtains and display a lovely bright view of scudding clouds, it would be pretty darn close to having a window. Course you could also do that with a flatscreen right now I suppose.
|||||||||enterpriseScrybe & enterpriseScrybe2 TrekVids||||||||| www.trekref.info|||||||||www.TriaxTpolitan.com|||||||||
"Let's be honest with ourselves: there's nothing easy about the life we've chosen. But we don't do it because it's easy, dammit!
We do it because the tits are big and the bat'leths are sharp and the ships are fast!"

Kevin Thomas Riley
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Postby Kevin Thomas Riley » Fri May 16, 2008 10:22 pm

Alelou wrote:
Kevin Thomas Riley wrote:But for some reason Malcolm's hasn't.

Malcolm likes to feel he's well-hidden from a hostile universe, especially while sleeping.

Heh! That actually makes sense... in a strange Section 31, Reedian sort of way...

justTripn
Consigliere

Postby justTripn » Fri May 16, 2008 11:06 pm

Plus, he's afraid of water and drowning. So he ought to be equally afraid of the vacuum of space.

enterprikayak
Token Canadian
Token Canadian

Postby enterprikayak » Fri May 16, 2008 11:15 pm

should be, but when I was younger I was horrified about the thought of drowning and the Abyss scared me way more with the drowning than the aliens. And yet I never had a problem with the idea of space or getting sucked out into space (blown out, thank you Data). I wanted to be an astronaut.

I vividly recall watching the Challenger explosion live at the age of 6 and the story about the teacher on the flight and how she had kids and all....vividly recall it. And yet I still always wanted to be an astronaut. It just seemed fun. :)
|||||||||enterpriseScrybe & enterpriseScrybe2 TrekVids||||||||| www.trekref.info|||||||||www.TriaxTpolitan.com|||||||||
"Let's be honest with ourselves: there's nothing easy about the life we've chosen. But we don't do it because it's easy, dammit!
We do it because the tits are big and the bat'leths are sharp and the ships are fast!"

Alelou
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral
Twitter username: @sheerhubris

Postby Alelou » Fri May 16, 2008 11:20 pm

Drowning is slow. A vacuum kills you FAST, doesn't it? (Archer's various implausible heroics in vacuums notwithstanding?) I mean, isn't it not just lack of oxygen, but the explosive change in pressure and the icy cold?

I speak as someone who's not afraid of water per se but IS afraid of being caught in the hold of something filling with water, from which there is no escape. I've had incredibly vivid nightmares of being in a submarine that's flooding. I therefore refuse to go on a cruise, though I would probably manage if I could just stay on the deck the whole time. And I'd go sailing or canoeing with you in a second.
OMG, ANOTHER new chapter! NORTH STAR Chapter 28
Image.Image
Read opening chapters free at Amazon (US): The Awful Mess: A Love Story
Blog: Sheer Hubris Press / Twitter: @sheerhubris / Facebook: Sandra Hutchison

Kevin Thomas Riley
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Postby Kevin Thomas Riley » Fri May 16, 2008 11:32 pm

Alelou wrote:Drowning is slow. A vacuum kills you FAST, doesn't it? (Archer's various implausible heroics in vacuums notwithstanding?) I mean, isn't it not just lack of oxygen, but the explosive change in pressure and the icy cold?

Actually, the way Archer's heroics was portrayed in The Augments was pretty correct (the vacuum part, not the beaming part). A person could survive that length (which was pretty darn short anyway) in a vacuum. The same goes for David Bowman in 2001: A Space Odyssey.

From what I understand, a person doesn't explode in the vacuum of space. It's far to cold for that. They just freeze up, which is pretty lethal too of course. Fast pressure changes at other temperatures are another story.

justTripn
Consigliere

Postby justTripn » Sat May 17, 2008 12:22 am

As my Lorian pointed out in Brainstorm: You don't freeze instantly in the cold of space because there is no convection (air currents or any other kind of currents to help move heat around). You need to radiate your body heat away and that takes time.

According to my sources, including Enterprikayak's helpful "check your facts" site, in her signiture, there is not immediate explosive decompression unless you hold your breath. If you exhale you can avoid explosive decompression, and if you are pulled back out of the vacuum after a minute you will survive.

Return to “Non-Ship Fanfiction”