Report Procedures

Romulans, phase-inverters, friendships, OH MY!

Moderators: justTripn, Elessar, dark_rain

JadziaKathryn
Commodore
Commodore
Show On Map: No

Report Procedures

Postby JadziaKathryn » Mon Apr 21, 2008 12:45 pm

When two officers go on an away mission (voluntarily or not), would both of them have to write a report, or just the ranking officer? A potential one-shot is brewing in my head, but I need to know how this report-writing business would work.

Navigator
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Re: Report Procedures

Postby Navigator » Tue Apr 22, 2008 3:06 pm

Just one report. The way it usually works is the junior writes it; the senior will edit, approve and sign it (and claim credit :D )

Asso
Site Donor

Postby Asso » Tue Apr 22, 2008 3:09 pm

Just so! :D
Well yes. I continue to write. And on Fanfiction.Net, for those who want, it is possible to cast a glance at my latest efforts. We arrived to
The Ears of the Elves, chapter Forty-four

And here is the beginning of the whole story.

But, I must say, you could also find something else on Fanfiction.net written by me. If you want.

JadziaKathryn
Commodore
Commodore

Postby JadziaKathryn » Tue Apr 22, 2008 10:16 pm

The junior officer writes it? Hmmm. Must work around that somehow.

Thank you!

CX
Commodore
Commodore

Postby CX » Tue Apr 22, 2008 10:56 pm

That seems a bit odd to me too. I guess I ended up writing the after action reports for most everything I was involved in no matter what, whether it was because I was the flight adjutant or as the Special Projects Officer that had actually planned the events. :? Seems to me that either the senior of the two or both of them should write reports, but I don't have any experiance with how this kind of stuff is done in the active duty military.

Alelou
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral
Twitter username: @sheerhubris

Postby Alelou » Tue Apr 22, 2008 11:16 pm

I think you can make up the rules however you want; it's your fanfic. In the future, we can certainly HOPE that only one person has to write a report unless there's something untoward to investigate, and that the senior officer would be responsible for doing that (even if he or she delegates it).
OMG, ANOTHER new chapter! NORTH STAR Chapter 28
Image.Image
Read opening chapters free at Amazon (US): The Awful Mess: A Love Story
Blog: Sheer Hubris Press / Twitter: @sheerhubris / Facebook: Sandra Hutchison

Lady Rainbow
Captain
Captain
Twitter username: ladyrainbow

Postby Lady Rainbow » Wed Apr 23, 2008 12:15 am

I was under the impression that the ranking officer would write the after-action report, but depending on the away team, others might have their own additions to it.

Example: Let's say there's an Away team consisting of T'Pol (senior officer), Trip, Hoshi and Malcolm. During the adventure, they stumble over new scientific, technological and linguistic discoveries. T'Pol would write the general "Here's what happened on the planet" report, and probably a second one focusing on the scientific part of it. Trip and Malcolm might add their own impressions (about the technology) and Hoshi about the new language and culture.

And if something embarrassing happened, they could either keep it "off the record" or make the barest mention of it. (Granted, though, they'd have to make sure the various reports agreed.)

And Archer would end up reading the whole thing. No wonder starship captains are always behind on their paperwork! :?
Avatar of Hoshi/Malcom "The Dogwalker" courtesy of ivymae at http://www.captainsoma.com/enterpriseoddities/main.html

Siggy complete with beagle! :)

JadziaKathryn
Commodore
Commodore

Postby JadziaKathryn » Wed Apr 23, 2008 2:44 am

Alelou wrote:I think you can make up the rules however you want; it's your fanfic.
Oh, I can work with that.

Linda
Commodore
Commodore

Postby Linda » Thu May 08, 2008 2:48 pm

In the Coast Guard Auxiliary (civilian volunteers trained to do the same search and rescue work as the regulars), the boat coxswain writes the patrol report. The crew members do not write the report though they may keep a personal radio log of the regular coms "ops and position" calls they personally make. These calls usually are every half hour unless the situation demands they be more frequent. Then, these may be added to the boat radio log later.

I guess you could make up your own rules that Starfleet would follow. I think canon has been silent on this detail. To my way of thinking, why not do it the Coast Guard way? That is the best way! Semper Paratus!

LOL, I am not biased or anything am I? 8)
Working on a major fan fic project. Two-thirds done. Hope to put it up in the not TOO distant future.

Return to “Non-Ship Fanfiction”