Shuttle engines

Romulans, phase-inverters, friendships, OH MY!

Moderators: justTripn, Elessar, dark_rain

Distracted
Site Donor
Show On Map: No

Shuttle engines

Postby Distracted » Thu Jan 04, 2007 5:31 pm

I've got some questions for you technophiles out there. What's the power source of the Enterprise NX-01 era shuttlecraft? What type of engine does it have and what is the fuel source? Would Romulan shuttles have a different power source than Earth or Vulcan shuttles? What sort of distances would a shuttle be capable of traveling without refueling?
Image sig by chrisis1033

Rigil Kent
Fleet Captain
Fleet Captain

Re: Shuttle engines

Postby Rigil Kent » Thu Jan 04, 2007 6:05 pm

Have no idea if this is correct, but I'll give it a go.

Distracted wrote:What's the power source of the Enterprise NX-01 era shuttlecraft?
An engine.
What type of engine does it have
A shuttlepod engine.
what is the fuel source?
Shuttlepod fuel.
Would Romulan shuttles have a different power source than Earth or Vulcan shuttles?
Sure. They use Romulan go-juice, not Human go-juice.
What sort of distances would a shuttle be capable of traveling without refueling?
Far.

Twisted Evil Sorry. I just couldn't resist.

Beyond stating that they're not warp capable, I really don't know the answer to any of these. I'd assume that the engine was some sort of fusion drive, but we all know what happens when someone assumes. As to fuel, it would make sense that they go on the same thing that drives the NX-01 (dueterium?)
"Go, and find the pit where these snakes hide. And be merciless." - Lorenzo de'Medici, Assassin's Creed: Lineage

Sig by Chrisis1033.

blacknblue
Site Admin

Postby blacknblue » Thu Jan 04, 2007 7:51 pm

I always got the impression that shuttles were powered by a smaller version of the impulse engines that Enterprise carried. IMO, just from the special effects shown on screen, I had visulaized them as acting somewhat like the ion drives that NASA is experimenting with nowadays. Today's ion drives can only produce thrust equivalent to about the weight of a piece of paper, but still manage to eventually attain speeds far in excess of anything possible to a rocket because they can maintain steady acceleration.

By the 22nd century, if they have managed to develop an ion drive that can produce something close to one gravity of acelleration, it should be able to achieve something close to speed fo light velocity in short order.

Just my 2 cents.

Distracted
Site Donor

Postby Distracted » Thu Jan 04, 2007 8:37 pm

What fuel does an ion drive engine run on?
Image sig by chrisis1033

Rigil Kent
Fleet Captain
Fleet Captain

Postby Rigil Kent » Thu Jan 04, 2007 8:38 pm

Ion drive engine fuel.

Twisted Evil

*ducks and hides from Distracted's inevitable wrath...
"Go, and find the pit where these snakes hide. And be merciless." - Lorenzo de'Medici, Assassin's Creed: Lineage

Sig by Chrisis1033.

Mitchell
Commander
Commander

Postby Mitchell » Thu Jan 04, 2007 9:03 pm

Rigil Kent wrote:Ion drive engine fuel.

Twisted Evil

*ducks and hides from Distracted's inevitable wrath...

Rolling Eyes Some one's in a good mood today. Laughing What happened Rigil, did ya get a funny bone finaly transplanted into yer body. Razz

Uh any ways D, Id say their small, all be it very small Impulse engines. Razz Ever hear of the Orion type of Engines that some folks have proposed for future space craft? they basicaly detonate small lil nuclear blasts an ride ths shoke waves. Their another engine that works in a simaler way but instead of like Uranium, it would use antimatter, combined with matter to cause the blast. To possibly creat an even more powerful, fater thrusted engine. Wink But since were just really begining to play around with anti matter. An we havent played around with it a lot yet, who knows. Confused

But any whos Id beleave it be the Anti matter type of engine. Runnin on dueterium. Probably dosnt even have to be fueled up that often. Since if yal remember in the expance when the Pirates attacked Trip told Archer they could run off the Antimatter that was in the Warp reactor for a Month before they were in dead in the water. Wink So Id imagine those lil shuttle pods are efficent lil buggers. Razz
TnT I love em. Very Happy

dark_rain
Site Admin

Postby dark_rain » Thu Jan 04, 2007 9:05 pm

Distracted wrote:What fuel does an ion drive engine run on?

Ions? Very Happy

Really though, probably electricity, so the shuttle pod would have a fuel cell (runs on hydrogen) or batteries. So the fuel would be hydrogen or good ole' leccy (electricity for those who don't live in england)
voo@octane2:~> uname -a
IRIX64 octane2 6.5 07080050 IP30

Rigil Kent
Fleet Captain
Fleet Captain

Postby Rigil Kent » Thu Jan 04, 2007 9:09 pm

Mitchell wrote:Some one's in a good mood today. Laughing What happened Rigil, did ya get a funny bone finaly transplanted into yer body. Razz

Dude, she walked right into that one!

Sig by Chrisis1033.

blacknblue
Site Admin

Postby blacknblue » Thu Jan 04, 2007 10:43 pm

It might be deuterium, or possibly it scoops up interstellar hydrogen ala a bussard ramjet by using a magnetic ramscoop to sweep up hydrogen atoms as it goes along.

It might run off anti-matter, or perhaps a plain old fashioned fusion reactor.

CX
Commodore
Commodore

Re: Shuttle engines

Postby CX » Fri Jan 05, 2007 1:01 am

Distracted wrote:I've got some questions for you technophiles out there. What's the power source of the Enterprise NX-01 era shuttlecraft?

The impulse ractor(s). As discussed in the TNG Technical Manual, this is the secondary method of power production on a starship, but on a shuttle that wouldn't have a warp core anyway, the impulse reactor would provide more than enough energy to run its systems as well as providing the plasma exhaust used to propel it.

What type of engine does it have and what is the fuel source?

A scaled down version of the impulse engines used on board starships. The fuel used is the same deuterium used as the matter source in the warp reaction.

Would Romulan shuttles have a different power source than Earth or Vulcan shuttles?

Possibly but unknown. It is only established that in later eras all starships in that area have essentially the same type of impulse drives, which use superheated plasma created in the impulse reactors to propel the ship at sublight speed.

What sort of distances would a shuttle be capable of traveling without refueling?

Also unknown. Shuttlepod One established that eventually the shuttle would have reached the distant beacon they were trying for, several weeks later, just that their life support, which at the time was just fine, would've only lasted around 10 days. Starships carry quite a bit of deuterium, as their tanks according to the canon cutaway diagrams all seem to be consistantly at least 3 decks tall and maybe 100 meters or so long at the very least, depending on the size of the ship at least. I don't think their feul consumption is very high though, as Voyager went something like 3 years before it was forced to refuel, but as contrived as the episode was that actually showed them doing that was, well, I don't put much stock in it. I'd guess that it would take a good 5 years for most starships to run bone dry, but since they usually put in at bases more frequently than that they simply top off at those times.

What fuel does an ion drive engine run on?

Elecricity. Ion drives are basically like the tube from an old TV set, but without the screen. Ion drives are pretty great for sending probes off to distant locations in our day in age, especially because eventually they can propel said probes to nearly the speed of light because it is essentially always accellerating. The drawback is that payload has to be extremely limited because they aren't all that strong, and that it takes them a very, very long time to accelerate. At least that's my understanding of them, but keep in mind that I'm only an engineering student with a fascination in aerospace, and not the real thing. Wink

Distracted
Site Donor

Postby Distracted » Fri Jan 05, 2007 2:15 am

And deuterium is basically hydrogen with an extra proton, right? Can you make deuterium on the fly from regular hydrogen, or does it have to be produced by a massive particle accellerator that won't fit on a starship?
Image sig by chrisis1033

Bether6074
Site Donor

Postby Bether6074 » Fri Jan 05, 2007 2:52 am

blackn'blue wrote:It might be deuterium, or possibly it scoops up interstellar hydrogen ala a bussard ramjet by using a magnetic ramscoop to sweep up hydrogen atoms as it goes along.

Surprised Surprised Shock Shock Shock *runs quickly from thread*

Mitchell
Commander
Commander

Postby Mitchell » Fri Jan 05, 2007 3:26 am

Distracted wrote:And deuterium is basically hydrogen with an extra proton, right? Can you make deuterium on the fly from regular hydrogen, or does it have to be produced by a massive particle accellerator that won't fit on a starship?

Wink Considering they did a whole episode in Season 2 about shoppin for fuel at a Deuterium drillin colony, Id imagine that in the 22nd century it isnt to easy to make their own. Razz

An that ship filled with idiots in the Delta Quad seemed to need to stop a t a fuel station once an awhile to. Wink So Id guess it goes to show they couldnt make their own on the ships in the 24th century yet either. Razz
TnT I love em. Very Happy

Rigil Kent
Fleet Captain
Fleet Captain

Postby Rigil Kent » Fri Jan 05, 2007 3:57 am

Mitchell wrote:Wink Considering they did a whole episode in Season 2 about shoppin for fuel at a Deuterium drillin colony, Id imagine that in the 22nd century it isnt to easy to make their own. Razz

Dude, ignore that episode. Deuterium is a not oil. You cannot extract it from the ground. That episode should be immediately thrown out of canon (along with far too much of season 2) because of the level of stupidity involved in it.

Sig by Chrisis1033.

blacknblue
Site Admin

Postby blacknblue » Fri Jan 05, 2007 6:11 am

Rigil Kent wrote:
Mitchell wrote: Wink Considering they did a whole episode in Season 2 about shoppin for fuel at a Deuterium drillin colony, Id imagine that in the 22nd century it isnt to easy to make their own. Razz

Dude, ignore that episode. Deuterium is a not oil. You cannot extract it from the ground. That episode should be immediately thrown out of canon (along with far too much of season 2) because of the level of stupidity involved in it.

This is truth. I was wincing about that while watching it. Dueterium is the ingredient that makes "heavy water" heavy. It was the primary stuff used during the Manhattan project experiments that led to the atom bomb. It is basically a heavier than usual isotope of the element hydrogen, and is a gas at normal earth temperatures. To make it stable you either have to bond it to something like oxygen (e.g. turn it into heavy water) or cool it down to something incredible and make it a liquid like NASA does for rocket fuel. It is not found in nature in any appreciable quantities because it it highly unstable.

Return to “Non-Ship Fanfiction”