New story by BnB and Distracted

Romulans, phase-inverters, friendships, OH MY!

Moderators: justTripn, Elessar, dark_rain

CX
Commodore
Commodore

Re: New story by BnB and Distracted

Postby CX » Wed Jan 09, 2008 7:13 pm

Nope.

Linda
Commodore
Commodore
Show On Map: No

Postby Linda » Wed Jan 09, 2008 9:11 pm

I am following this conversation with interest, though I have only half read through part 2 of the story. I find this story refreshing, deliciously complex, and the fleshing out of Vulcan characters satisfying. I find nothing that I strongly disagree with but do enjoy the varying opinions of my fellow readers. If it were not for the richness of stories like this one, my interest in the ENT characters and the ST world that was created around them would slowly taper off. This story, and mulling over ideas for my own stories, has keep me deeply interested in this corner of the sci fi genre.
Working on a major fan fic project. Two-thirds done. Hope to put it up in the not TOO distant future.

Asso
Site Donor

Postby Asso » Wed Jan 09, 2008 9:16 pm

Linda wrote: If it were not for the richness of stories like this one, my interest in the ENT characters and the ST world that was created around them would slowly taper off. This story, and mulling over ideas for my own stories, has keep me deeply interested in this corner of the sci fi genre.

And, as usually (well... :lol: almost as usually), I agree with you. :)
Well yes. I continue to write. And on Fanfiction.Net, for those who want, it is possible to cast a glance at my latest efforts. We arrived to
The Ears of the Elves, chapter Forty-four

And here is the beginning of the whole story.

But, I must say, you could also find something else on Fanfiction.net written by me. If you want.

evcake
Commodore
Commodore

Postby evcake » Wed Jan 09, 2008 9:39 pm

I agree with you too, Linda.

I don't like the idea of Vulcan keeping Earth in virtual peonage for a hundred years, but that doesn't stop me from reading this story and enjoying it.

I find the High Command a little too human in their corruption...or maybe I find the Romulans behind the High Command too human...

Refreshing, deliciously complex - that's a very apt description. :D

Yes! More. Vulcans.
It's flavored with passionfruit
an appropriate ingredient, don't you think?

Banner by JadziaKathryn

Asso
Site Donor

Postby Asso » Wed Jan 09, 2008 10:22 pm

Talking of "The Lerteiran Chronicles", Blackn’blue...
I enjoy it, yes...
But at the same time it gets me a little bit of melancholy and of desire.
I explain.
Payment, Blackn’blue.
It's that.
This story is great, but is stopped at Part Eight, for now.
I hope(very much, very much, very much) you don't forget this splendid fic. :)
Well yes. I continue to write. And on Fanfiction.Net, for those who want, it is possible to cast a glance at my latest efforts. We arrived to

But, I must say, you could also find something else on Fanfiction.net written by me. If you want.

evcake
Commodore
Commodore

Postby evcake » Wed Jan 09, 2008 10:35 pm

Well, yes...there is that. :D

Banner by JadziaKathryn

blacknblue
Site Admin

Postby blacknblue » Wed Jan 09, 2008 10:57 pm

Egad... *whimper*

:banghead:

Payment is stalled out. I haven't forgotten it. My muse is on vacation. The fickle wench bailed on me to take an extended leave of absence so she could run off and cavort shamelessly with some cabana boy.

As far as the High Command (and the Romulans associated therewith) being too Human, I think we are hewing pretty close to the canon line as far as what was shown on screen - both during ENT and in the other series. Is there anything that we put in the Lerteiran Chronicles that contradicts canon? Seriously, if there is a problem, let us know and we will try to fix it.

The virtual peonage thing seems reasonable, at least to me. Granted that Archer was biased against Vulcans because he blamed them for not letting his daddy see his engine fly. Yet, I remember a scene in which Trip told T'Pol, when speaking about Henry Archer, "All he wanted to do was see his engine fly." Which means that even Trip considered the Vulcans to be deliberately slowing down Human advancement.

Why would they do that? For our own good? Get real. The High Command did nothing for anyone's good except its own. It made noises about being interested in the greater good, but in fact everything the High Command did was done for the greater good of the High Command. Therefore, the efforts of the Vulcan High Command to slow down our advance into space was actually done for the purpose of benefiting the High Command somehow.

The most likely reason, to my way of thinking, would be to prevent Humans from becoming a threat to the High Command's power base. Soval told Forrest that Humans reminded Vulcans of themselves when they were a younger race. Therefore, it stands to reason that the High Command would not want a rival getting loose to play in their sandbox.
"When the legends die, the dreams end. When the dreams end, there is no more greatness."
--Tecumseh
"It is better to be a live jackal than a dead lion."
--King Solomon the Wise
"The needs of the many outweigh the needs of the few." Unless the few are armed.

Asso
Site Donor

Postby Asso » Wed Jan 09, 2008 11:08 pm

What you say is reasonnable and... logical.
It seems to me that everything works.
Go on, you and Distracted.
But... I have to whisper in the ear of your muse.
She cannot be on vacation too long! :bitch:

JadziaKathryn
Commodore
Commodore

Postby JadziaKathryn » Thu Jan 10, 2008 5:27 am

And Purgatory. Bnb must not be allowed to forget that!

Seriously, though, this was a great second installment. I very much enjoy that the Vulcans are individuals. I think that canon often presents Vulcans as cut from the same mold unless they're using them as a main character or guest star, but you've presented them as being individual, which of course makes sense. For instance, Tyvek. He's a fairly minor character, at least so far, but we know that he's one of the least imaginative Vulcans alive.

blacknblue
Site Admin

Postby blacknblue » Thu Jan 10, 2008 6:57 am

Well, Tyvek belongs to Distracted. He is hers lock, stock and stethescope. They vary through the story. Some are hers, some are mine, most are a composite.

Like Senek - he is a good example. I created him. Distracted gave him a name and the outline of a personality. I fleshed out his persona somewhat. Distracted objected that I was making him too hardass, and insisted that I throttle back on the Dirty Harry aspects a little. She said that a Vulcan, even a Vulcan Intel operative, would not be as merciless as I had painted him. So I reluctantly added a dash of civilization. Distracted waded in and added even more, turning him from the semi-Romulan that I had started out with into an actual Vulcan, albeit a somewhat cynical and battle-scarred Vulcan.

It has gone like that from the beginning. Back and forth. Like hackey-sack. :D Or maybe finger painting. I flung a handful of ideas at the wall to see what would stick. Then Distracted came along, scraped off the worst of the messy gobs, and started turning it into a mural.

I tend to get bogged down in detail. Then Distracted pokes me and reminds me that we need to keep the plot moving along. So far it has been working I guess.
"When the legends die, the dreams end. When the dreams end, there is no more greatness."
--Tecumseh
"It is better to be a live jackal than a dead lion."
--King Solomon the Wise
"The needs of the many outweigh the needs of the few." Unless the few are armed.

evcake
Commodore
Commodore

Postby evcake » Thu Jan 10, 2008 7:05 am

I like Senek a lot already. :D

Banner by JadziaKathryn

Distracted
Site Donor

Postby Distracted » Thu Jan 10, 2008 1:49 pm

Ah, but as Blacknblue continues to remind me, a story's not a story without the details. And he's got a million of 'em. I find it a little peculiar, though, given our previous work. Who would have guessed that I'd be the one to insist on more action and less standing around and talking about politics and relationships? :shock: :lol:
Image sig by chrisis1033

Linda
Commodore
Commodore

Postby Linda » Thu Jan 10, 2008 2:04 pm

I too like Senek. Continue building him with elements from both Bnb and Distracted! Fight over him you two, yeah, then meld your ideas! I like complex personalities. Sure, as a battle-scarred Vulcan he can be cynical (but not as much as Soval, so don't make him a Soval clone - he isn't so far) and do harsh things - when there is a logical need. But he has a sense of humor, is a good judge of character, and I think he has a conscience, based on the better sort of Vulcan ethics. He doesn't have a deepseated dislike of humans - which lets him see through the prejudices of other Vulcans. At least, this is what I am seeing in him.

I like the Vulcan kid too.

I'd love to see Rajean's (sorry, forgot her spelling) situation with the Enterprise crew faced and resolved. It seems we are building toward a confrontation - good drama.

And I like the mention of Vulcan as wanting to use earth resources. I have always thought that would be one attraction of Vulcans for earth - they live in a sand box. Earth is a world rich in a variety of natural resources. Duh, of course they would be intersted. But how exploitative are they? Do they believe in fair trade? Do they HAVE a lot to trade or are they afraid with the humans fast technology development that soon humans won't need them?

Uh, I will get off my soap box and question proposing box now. Gotta got put together some production schedules at work.

Uh, Distracted, details really, really make a story seem more REAL. They make it richer. And yes, they must be carefully balanced with action. Something in the balance makes the whole more than the sum of its parts - hard to analyse just what it is. Good art is like that, sometimes indescribable, but you recognize it when you see it!
Working on a major fan fic project. Two-thirds done. Hope to put it up in the not TOO distant future.

Linda
Commodore
Commodore

Postby Linda » Thu Jan 10, 2008 2:05 pm

And I see good art here in this story.

Asso
Site Donor

Postby Asso » Thu Jan 10, 2008 5:58 pm

Linda wrote:
I'd love to see Rajean's (sorry, forgot her spelling) situation with the Enterprise crew faced and resolved. It seems we are building toward a confrontation - good drama.

And I like the mention of Vulcan as wanting to use earth resources. I have always thought that would be one attraction of Vulcans for earth - they live in a sand box. Earth is a world rich in a variety of natural resources. Duh, of course they would be intersted. But how exploitative are they? Do they believe in fair trade? Do they HAVE a lot to trade or are they afraid with the humans fast technology development that soon humans won't need them?

Uh, Distracted, details really, really make a story seem more REAL. They make it richer. And yes, they must be carefully balanced with action. Something in the balance makes the whole more than the sum of its parts - hard to analyse just what it is. Good art is like that, sometimes indescribable, but you recognize it when you see it!

Perfectly and exactly said, in my opinion.

Return to “Non-Ship Fanfiction”