trying to remember fic name & author

Romulans, phase-inverters, friendships, OH MY!

Moderators: justTripn, Elessar, dark_rain

Distracted
Site Donor
Show On Map: No

Re: trying to remember fic name & author

Postby Distracted » Wed Jun 04, 2008 1:35 pm

I found it odd as well. Maybe she's ashamed to be associated with fanfiction now that she's trying to write LITT-trature. 8)
Image sig by chrisis1033

blacknblue
Site Admin

Postby blacknblue » Wed Jun 04, 2008 3:07 pm

You know, if you think about it, "A Connecticut Yankee In King Arthur's Court" could be considered a type of fan fiction.

Just saying.
"When the legends die, the dreams end. When the dreams end, there is no more greatness."
--Tecumseh
"It is better to be a live jackal than a dead lion."
--King Solomon the Wise
"The needs of the many outweigh the needs of the few." Unless the few are armed.

E-pie
Cadet
Cadet

Postby E-pie » Wed Jun 04, 2008 3:39 pm

All these e-mails got me curious, so I came to look at what the heck was going on despite the fact that I told Distracted to simply relay the information.

I'm not ashamed of my works. In fact, I'm quite proud of them. Of all the fanfiction I've written, I've enjoyed Enterprise the most. To suggest that I'm trying to disassociate myself with my own work hurts me. I'd like to think that I've not done anything to this fandom to suggest that I'm that arrogant or mean.

Fact of the matter is that fanfiction is a hobby and should be fun. One reason that I have a lot of stories that are incomplete is because I have a lot of ideas and many times I get stuck. Rather than stress over the fact that I've become stuck, I like to work on other projects until inspiration strikes.

Since the last update to Devil to Pay, I've been struggling to get the dialogue between Archer and Shran right. I'm not kidding. Nothing has come to me.

I have chapters of Orator that were never posted simply because Triptofan was starting to be a pain between server malfunctions and people e-mailing complaints as though I did not have a life beyond site administrator.

And, even though these stories aren't posted anywhere, I still write on them. Why not re-post them? Well, this thread here is the reason. I know I don't have the time to devote to them that I used to during my college days and the majority of e-mails I've always received in regards to fanfiction have been to the effect of: "UPDATE NOW PLZ". How many such e-mails will I receive with the even more sporadic updates I could offer now?

That aspect of fanfiction is not fun. If I want to meet deadlines, I can go to work.

Of course, I feel horrible that these works are incomplete. I'm more angry at myself for not devoting every scrap of free time to trying to write these things. You guys committed yourselves to reading them, and I do feel like I've let you down. But, also, try to remember... I've written over 500 pages of Enterprise fanfiction.

Anyway, I digress. To return to the original point of posting my works...

As I said, I do not want my stories posted without permission. As in, I don't want unsolicited copies of my stories floating around on the Internet, which I'm fairly certain most authors would understand. No one has asked if they could officially host said stories - only if a) they were finished, b) they were posted anywhere and c) if I cared if a third party finished them for me.

To be clear on those points:
a) No
b) No
c) Yes (but, of course, fanfiction is fanfiction and anything is free game, including unpublished works)

So, if someone wants to host my stories on an official website... well, just ask. I'd caution about posting the incomplete works without informing people that these stories are on hiatus. I'd also not be against posting them on fanfiction.net for you guys with the underlying understanding being that a lot of these stories may not be completed any time soon, if ever.

And, for future reference, I do have an account there, though I never posted my Enterprise stories there. Look for E.M. Theis. "Ligeia" was just a nickname I used on the TrekBBS and HoT. I never actually posted any stories under that name. :)

I do not recall any of the e-mails or messages I received asking if they could host my stories, which is a somewhat different matter. If the question was implied, sorry! I missed it.

So, hopefully this was a bit more illuminating on the subject. Again, I apologize.

Much love,
Erin

PS: I never expected anyone to translate the Vulcan in Devil to Pay. That was a bit of the point. I didn't want the words she was speaking to matter as much as the general feeling and tone of the scene. I don't know if it was successful.

Asso
Site Donor

Postby Asso » Wed Jun 04, 2008 3:42 pm

Drogna wrote:Interesting, disappointing and rather surprising. Most authors want their stories to be read... :dunno:

Yes. Unclear.
Well yes. I continue to write. And on Fanfiction.Net, for those who want, it is possible to cast a glance at my latest efforts. We arrived to
The Ears of the Elves, chapter Forty-four

And here is the beginning of the whole story.

But, I must say, you could also find something else on Fanfiction.net written by me. If you want.

Distracted
Site Donor

Postby Distracted » Wed Jun 04, 2008 4:24 pm

Thanks for clarifying the situation for us, Erin. I appreciate the time you took to come by and let us know what was going on. And you're right, I didn't ask to officially host your stories because I didn't see the point if you weren't planning on finishing them. Once they are finished, I for one would love to host them here, although I'm not the site owner so I can't speak for everyone. So I guess we should do what I mentioned above. We'll give you your space and wait patiently. I was just wondering if you'd finished them somewhere else so I could give Drogna and a couple of your other eager readers a resolution. I understand getting stuck, though. And you're right. Fanfiction is supposed to be fun. 8)
Image sig by chrisis1033

Asso
Site Donor

Postby Asso » Wed Jun 04, 2008 4:29 pm

Ok.
Now it's clear.
Thanks. :D
Well yes. I continue to write. And on Fanfiction.Net, for those who want, it is possible to cast a glance at my latest efforts. We arrived to

But, I must say, you could also find something else on Fanfiction.net written by me. If you want.

Alelou
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral
Twitter username: @sheerhubris

Postby Alelou » Wed Jun 04, 2008 5:18 pm

Why not host the stories, if Erin is willing to give permission? We have other unfinished stories up. Her idea of adding a warning about being on hiatus makes sense. They are well-written enough that I'm glad to have read even the partial ones.

Was The Last Full Monty someone else's, because that was complete. Are there no other complete stories tht could go up?
OMG, ANOTHER new chapter! NORTH STAR Chapter 28
Image.Image
Read opening chapters free at Amazon (US): The Awful Mess: A Love Story
Blog: Sheer Hubris Press / Twitter: @sheerhubris / Facebook: Sandra Hutchison

Distracted
Site Donor

Postby Distracted » Wed Jun 04, 2008 6:16 pm

You'd have to discuss that with Elessar, but I personally see no point in hosting stories which the author has no intention of completing. All of the incomplete stories on TriS are in progress and being written by authors with a proven track record of finishing what they start. I have no desire to read something that will never be finished. JMO.
Image sig by chrisis1033

Asso
Site Donor

Postby Asso » Wed Jun 04, 2008 6:21 pm

I agree with you, Dis.

E-pie
Cadet
Cadet

Postby E-pie » Wed Jun 04, 2008 6:46 pm

I did write The Last Full Monty and have some other short stories that are complete:

Duct Tape and Poker Faces (episode tag for "Observer Effect")

The Eighty-Second (episode tag for "Shuttlepod One")

The Burial of the Dead (episode tag for "The Expanse")

The Last Full Monty (a humor fic based on a joke listed in the Trip thread on the TrekBBS)

None of these are specifically Trip/T'Pol, but some do have hints of the relationship in it. The following stories are incomplete but have had portions posted to the public:

A Vision of Power (AU based in the "Twilight" universe)

Orator (sequel to Interlocutor)

The Devil to Pay (drama set between "Observer Effect" and "Babel One")

Interlocutor is complete but does not necessarily stand on its own as it is part of a series. The internal plot between Trip and T'Pol is finished (I never had plans to address it more fully since Orator is primarily concerned with Archer/Trip and leads straight into "Home"), but the secondary plot is incomplete. Which plot is of primary value to the story is basically up to the reader, so it would be left to the administrator of a site to determine whether or not he/she wanted it.

Either way, whatever is decided is fine. I'm not indifferent to the subject - just attempting to accommodate. I can always just put them on fanfiction.net where you guys can keep a watch on them. I've not really paid much attention to the Enterprise section there, so I don't know if that's acceptable. But, if/when they are completed, anyone can e-mail me in regards to hosting elsewhere.

Much love,
Erin

CX
Commodore
Commodore

Postby CX » Wed Jun 04, 2008 7:34 pm

The Guardian of Forever would be happy to host any of these ... just as soon as I can get the site back up. :mrgreen:

Alelou
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral
Twitter username: @sheerhubris

Postby Alelou » Wed Jun 04, 2008 8:29 pm

I sure would be delighted to have access to the finished stories here. I guess I can understand the hesitation about putting in-hiatus stories up.
OMG, ANOTHER new chapter! NORTH STAR Chapter 28
Image.Image
Read opening chapters free at Amazon (US): The Awful Mess: A Love Story
Blog: Sheer Hubris Press / Twitter: @sheerhubris / Facebook: Sandra Hutchison

Distracted
Site Donor

Postby Distracted » Wed Jun 04, 2008 8:55 pm

I would be happy to post any finished stories and any stories which the author has full intention of finishing. We have a section for non-ship Trip-centric fics, so even if TnT isn't a major part of the story, it's no problem, just as long as there's no A/T in it. If you'd like to send them to me, Erin, I'll put them up.
Image sig by chrisis1033

HopefulRomantic
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Postby HopefulRomantic » Wed Jun 04, 2008 9:44 pm

Erin, thanks for checking in and giving us the skinny on your situation. Of course RL takes precedence over a hobby, and fanfiction is supposed to be fun, not a slog. And the best of luck to you on your original fiction! :D

Judging from the fond memories folks have for your stories, I think it would be cool to have your finished works back online. Psst--TriS can put up pictures with the stories, so would you consider sending along those beautiful banners you had at the top of each story? They were just dreamy.

Distracted wrote:We have a section for non-ship Trip-centric fics, so even if TnT isn't a major part of the story, it's no problem, just as long as there's no A/T in it.

(Be advised that Dis means "Archer/T'Pol," not "Archer/Trip.")

Putting your unfinished work up at fanfiction.net would seem to be a good compromise. That way interested folks would be able to read what you have, and those who don't want to, don't have to. And you can disable your e-mail and PMs if you don't want to get nagged about finishing. :wink:

Dinah
Commander
Commander

Postby Dinah » Thu Jun 05, 2008 12:17 am

I think it would be wonderful to have as many of your stories here as possible. :happyjump: :happyjump: I used to stop by Triptofan regularly to see what was new. I've always thoroughly enjoyed your stories. The thought that even one of them could be finished brightened my day considerably.

I understand the demands that real life places on all of us. On the whole, the people at TriS are very patient. Different people function best under different conditions: some people don't want to be prodded, other people don't mind the prodding because it indicates that people are still interested in their stories. If people know you don't appreciate being nudged, I honestly believe they would honor your wishes.

Your stories are so good -- they deserved to be read and enjoyed. With the reruns on TV and the DVDs, there are new fans emerging all the time. I'm sure they would love your stories, too. I hope and TriS can work out something.

Whatever the outcome, my thanks to you and your sister for the many hours of enjoyment you've given me.

Return to “Non-Ship Fanfiction”