How much of Florida was left?

Romulans, phase-inverters, friendships, OH MY!

Moderators: justTripn, Elessar, dark_rain

Mitchell
Commander
Commander
Show On Map: No

Re: How much of Florida was left?

Postby Mitchell » Fri Aug 24, 2007 1:52 pm

:? Well considering a good portion of those WWI battle fields were probably placed on farm land. Id Imagine, after the War was over, The Locals(farmers) started cleaning up Trying to reclaim their fields, an pastures. Buy filling in those ditches.

:? Uhg! That would of been a hell of a lot of work with just horses, an the rare ocasional Tractor.

8) I know what yal mean when it comes to stupid idiotic notions when it comes to Geography.

To anyone Native in my county, If you are from, or were born anywhere south of Williamsport PA, then your a Flat Lander. :roll: Cause all of Southern PA is Flat.
Heaven forbid your from New Jersey. Then yer public enemy #1. :lol:

Do you all remember "Carbon Creek"? God that Annoyed the hell out of me. Its Bad enough TPTB had to go an Creat a Fictional PA Coal Town, when theirs hundreds to actualy chose from. But then they had to go an try an Pass off a California Landscape, as the Coal Regions of PA. Their wasnt one Suger Maple, Oak, Birch, Hemlock, Locast, or even a Quaking Aspen tree in that episode. Just god Dang over sized Pine Trees everywhere. I bet they were Ponderosa Pines to. :roll:
TnT I love em. Very Happy

Linda
Commodore
Commodore

Postby Linda » Fri Aug 24, 2007 2:03 pm

Mitchell, I didn't notice that about the background of the town in Carbon Creek! I am glad you pointed it out. I guess the filming budget was to small for them to use a real PA coal town. Thats too bad. They could have used some local people as extras and maybe gotten some new ST fans. That was one of my favorite episodes, but now when I rewatch it I will be checking out the background!
Working on a major fan fic project. Two-thirds done. Hope to put it up in the not TOO distant future.

CX
Commodore
Commodore

Postby CX » Fri Aug 24, 2007 6:50 pm

I think he's talking about where the Vulcans crashed.

Linda
Commodore
Commodore

Postby Linda » Fri Aug 24, 2007 6:58 pm

Well, I will be watching the trees through the whole episode, LOL.
Working on a major fan fic project. Two-thirds done. Hope to put it up in the not TOO distant future.

JadziaKathryn
Commodore
Commodore

Postby JadziaKathryn » Fri Aug 24, 2007 7:28 pm

Mitchell wrote::? Well considering a good portion of those WWI battle fields were probably placed on farm land. Id Imagine, after the War was over, The Locals(farmers) started cleaning up Trying to reclaim their fields, an pastures. Buy filling in those ditches.
Not so much farming after. Too many dead men buried there, too much mud, barbed wire, etc.

I still think that the problem with attributing deaths to aftereffects doesn't entirely work. It wasn't that long after that Trip and Malcolm visited, and they weren't in mortal danger.

Rigil Kent
Fleet Captain
Fleet Captain

Postby Rigil Kent » Fri Aug 24, 2007 7:48 pm

Depending upon how close the opening sequence was to Bounty, it could take ENT almost a month to get back home (Bounty is on Mar 21, and ENT arrives at Earth in The Expanse on Apr 23). That's plenty of time for the situation to stabilize, don't you think?
Last edited by Rigil Kent on Fri Aug 24, 2007 8:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Go, and find the pit where these snakes hide. And be merciless." - Lorenzo de'Medici, Assassin's Creed: Lineage

Sig by Chrisis1033.

Linda
Commodore
Commodore

Postby Linda » Fri Aug 24, 2007 8:16 pm

I had it in my mind that it was several months before Enterprise returned to Earth after the Xindi attack, but I don't know where I picked that up - if it was a canon or non-canon source or just off the top of my head. But I too think that it would have been well after the initial clean up.

Kevin Thomas Riley
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Postby Kevin Thomas Riley » Fri Aug 24, 2007 10:13 pm

Re: geographic illiteracy, I'm always annoyed with all foreigners, mostly from across the pond, that constantly mix up Sweden and Switzerland! :bitch:
She's got an awfully nice bum!
-Malcolm Reed on T'Pol, in Shuttlepod One

Rigil Kent
Fleet Captain
Fleet Captain

Postby Rigil Kent » Fri Aug 24, 2007 10:36 pm

Linda wrote:I had it in my mind that it was several months before Enterprise returned to Earth after the Xindi attack, but I don't know where I picked that up - if it was a canon or non-canon source or just off the top of my head. But I too think that it would have been well after the initial clean up.

It's not canon. As I mentioned, the "mission" date of Bounty was 21 Mar, 2153, and the captain's log entry as Enterprise arrives back at Earth is dated 23 Apr, 2153. Unfortunately, we can't firmly establish when The Expanse begins in relationship to Bounty. According to Memory Alpha, the initial attack took place in March 2153, which means it probably happened a day or two after Bounty. At the most, it takes ENT about a month to get home. That's based on Mayweather's comment that it'd "take a while" to get back to Earth, before Archer gives him the command to set a course at warp 5.
"Go, and find the pit where these snakes hide. And be merciless." - Lorenzo de'Medici, Assassin's Creed: Lineage

Sig by Chrisis1033.

blacknblue
Site Admin

Postby blacknblue » Fri Aug 24, 2007 10:47 pm

JadziaKathryn wrote:Um, isn't Arizona west of the Rockies? Or most of the state anyway? (Reference this map)

By west of the Rockies, i mean they think it is on the west coast. As in pacific ocean coastline.
"When the legends die, the dreams end. When the dreams end, there is no more greatness."
--Tecumseh
"It is better to be a live jackal than a dead lion."
--King Solomon the Wise
"The needs of the many outweigh the needs of the few." Unless the few are armed.

JadziaKathryn
Commodore
Commodore

Postby JadziaKathryn » Sat Aug 25, 2007 4:30 am

Kevin Thomas Riley wrote:Re: geographic illiteracy, I'm always annoyed with all foreigners, mostly from across the pond, that constantly mix up Sweden and Switzerland! :bitch:
I never had that problem so much, but I've only remembered the relative locations of the Sweden to Norway and Finland recently. I use mnemonic devices sometimes, and I came up with one that sounds silly, but it works: Scandinavia is Never So Far. Norway, Sweden, Finland. It works all the time.
Rigil Kent wrote:Depending upon how close the opening sequence was to Bounty, it could take ENT almost a month to get back home (Bounty is on Mar 21, and ENT arrives at Earth in The Expanse on Apr 23). That's plenty of time for the situation to stabilize, don't you think?
Maybe, but that would presume a super-fantastic emergency response and I don't think there's much precendent to assume that.

Rigil Kent
Fleet Captain
Fleet Captain

Postby Rigil Kent » Sat Aug 25, 2007 5:30 am

Well, I'm just pulling some crap outta my butt in a vain attempt to explain some of the show's problems. I mean, how is it that Trip was up and about so soon after brain surgery? Or T'Pol was running around being a sidekick after being mind raped (several times)? Why was Hoshi actually restored to active service after having been tortured?

The show was terrible about actually dealing with the realistic aftermath of these situations. The Xindi assault was just one of those instances that don't really make sense if you approach it using realism.

Sig by Chrisis1033.

TPoptarts
Commodore
Commodore

Postby TPoptarts » Sat Aug 25, 2007 6:59 pm

JadziaKathryn wrote:I use mnemonic devices sometimes, and I came up with one that sounds silly, but it works: Scandinavia is Never So Far. Norway, Sweden, Finland. It works all the time.

Netherlands, Switzerland, France. :twisted: :twisted:
ImageImage

JadziaKathryn
Commodore
Commodore

Postby JadziaKathryn » Sat Aug 25, 2007 9:16 pm

Rigil Kent wrote:The show was terrible about actually dealing with the realistic aftermath of these situations. The Xindi assault was just one of those instances that don't really make sense if you approach it using realism.
True. Very true.

I wonder - and bear in mind that science isn't my strong suit - if the attack would mess up the ocean a lot. I assume that where the beam hit ocean the water was evaporated. That would still leave warmer water around that could kill fish, animal, and plant life. Depending on the amount of water evaporated, and combined with the water rushing to fill in the crater in the ocean floor (which, as we've mentioned, would likely result in a tsunami), could this make a difference in the water level?

Rigil Kent
Fleet Captain
Fleet Captain

Postby Rigil Kent » Sat Aug 25, 2007 9:34 pm

Eh, they'd fix it with some handwavium technobabble or something, and we'd never again hear hide nor hair of it (ala Similitude).

Sig by Chrisis1033.

Return to “Non-Ship Fanfiction”