Vulcan geography

Romulans, phase-inverters, friendships, OH MY!

Moderators: justTripn, Elessar, dark_rain

evcake
Commodore
Commodore
Show On Map: No

Re: Vulcan geography

Postby evcake » Thu Aug 16, 2007 3:50 am

Not now, obviously. I was just thinking how many peoplewould have had to give uo whole ways of life to follow Surak's teachings. And about "Vulcan molluscs." Would they harvest them for sale offworld?
It's flavored with passionfruit
an appropriate ingredient, don't you think?

Banner by JadziaKathryn

TPoptarts
Commodore
Commodore

Postby TPoptarts » Thu Aug 16, 2007 3:58 am

That's kinda weird if they don't eat animals because they don't wanna kill anything, and then they'd go and kill stuff like for profit? :? :? I don't know kinda illogical :? :? maybe it's like resident aliens who harvest the mollusks or something like that :?
ImageImage

Distracted
Site Donor

Postby Distracted » Thu Aug 16, 2007 12:32 pm

Not fishermen, marine farmers. Maybe seaweed cultivation, algae, possibly mollusks as a black market delicacy. I think most vegetarians count fish as a meat.

Hmmm. Some marine animals are highly intelligent. Could make a cool story. A young Vulcan Islander meets and touches an octopus-like creature and they get the touch telepathy thing going. Or maybe they actually use octopi like dogs to protect their seaweed crops. Or maybe nobody actually lives on the islands because they're all protected preserves and a researcher from the drylands has to learn to live in/near all that water after he's accidently left on one of them...and he doesn't even have a volleyball, poor guy! :lol:
Image sig by chrisis1033

Linda
Commodore
Commodore

Postby Linda » Thu Aug 16, 2007 1:42 pm

Hey Distracted, I feel a story brewing in you! I can just see an octopus following a Vulcan in wet suit and fins on the rounds of the kelp beds.

Maybe like someone said, the Vulcans are not all on the same page about vegetarianism. Then, there are different kinds here on earth. Vegans don't eat any animal products, but other 'vegetarians' will eat animal products that do not involve the killing of an animal. And I will bet there are pockets of people on Vulcan who just never accepted any of Surak's philosophy. Even though it seems to be canon that Terrans have a more confusing mixture of attitudes and behaviors, a la Soval, when you have a whole planet of billions, there must be some variety.
Working on a major fan fic project. Two-thirds done. Hope to put it up in the not TOO distant future.

evcake
Commodore
Commodore

Postby evcake » Thu Aug 16, 2007 4:55 pm

Now there's a clutch of good ideas. Hmmm... Vulcan sushi. Shi'Kahr roll. :D

Didn't T'Pol say that there were "many groups" that "claimed" to br following Surak's "true" teachings? Maybe the Kirshara will say you can eat shellfish. :D

Banner by JadziaKathryn

Rigil Kent
Fleet Captain
Fleet Captain

Postby Rigil Kent » Thu Aug 16, 2007 6:33 pm

Too much water in that map IMO. I mean ... where do the sandworms live? Or the Fremen? Where are the moisture farms? Or Tosche Station?

Oh wait...
"Go, and find the pit where these snakes hide. And be merciless." - Lorenzo de'Medici, Assassin's Creed: Lineage

Sig by Chrisis1033.

Linda
Commodore
Commodore

Postby Linda » Thu Aug 16, 2007 6:44 pm

The Fremen? Then where are the giant worms. Hey, in 'Spock's World' there was something big living deep in the Vulcan sands. It was never explained. Maybe the worms have not yet emerged...

I picked up somewhere that there were four billion people living on Vulcan. How much water would be needed to support that population? I have no idea but maybe someone else can take a guess?
Working on a major fan fic project. Two-thirds done. Hope to put it up in the not TOO distant future.

evcake
Commodore
Commodore

Postby evcake » Thu Aug 16, 2007 6:48 pm

Well, they require less water than humans. Less food, too. They may have fossil water aquifers, as in Australia.

Banner by JadziaKathryn

Kevin Thomas Riley
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Postby Kevin Thomas Riley » Fri Aug 17, 2007 12:10 am

Rigil Kent wrote:Too much water in that map IMO. I mean ... where do the sandworms live? Or the Fremen? Where are the moisture farms? Or Tosche Station?

Oh wait...

Can't you see the wretched hive of scum and villainy on one of those caps? :lol:
She's got an awfully nice bum!
-Malcolm Reed on T'Pol, in Shuttlepod One

Linda
Commodore
Commodore

Postby Linda » Fri Aug 17, 2007 12:47 pm

I guess Vulcan must have underground water. Cause the cities that are not near bodies of water have to get it from somewhere.

Hey, I'll try some of that Vulcan Sushi! I'll bet Klingons would too...if it is served still moving.

Lys
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Postby Lys » Fri Aug 17, 2007 9:30 pm

I like the idea of underground water, Linda!

Mitchell
Commander
Commander

Postby Mitchell » Sat Aug 18, 2007 3:04 am

Kevin Thomas Riley wrote:
evcake wrote:The Vulcan script is beautiful. Sigh. Do you have one like that from the scene where the Kirshara is opened?

Here is one. Just look through their site.

And here is a close-up of one of the major lakes.

:? Those waters look shallow to me. :lol: More Like Mud puddles, then Lakes.
TnT I love em. Very Happy

Reanok
Fleet Captain
Fleet Captain

Postby Reanok » Mon Aug 20, 2007 6:17 pm

:lol: we have a lake in Idaho named Mud Lake it's swampy & marshy. It's a national wildlife Bird refuge.I've been there in the spring to see the wild birds. It's an awesome thing to watch all these different birds come back.

Linda
Commodore
Commodore

Postby Linda » Mon Aug 20, 2007 6:38 pm

Mitchell, Evcake, KTR, anyone? Is that V'Las or Kuvak looking at the Vulcan script the Kirshara is producing in the photo linked a couple of posts back. The photo with Archer in it too. I'm a bad judge of faces from the looking up at them position, LOL.

Kevin Thomas Riley
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Postby Kevin Thomas Riley » Mon Aug 20, 2007 10:23 pm

Linda wrote:Mitchell, Evcake, KTR, anyone? Is that V'Las or Kuvak looking at the Vulcan script the Kirshara is producing in the photo linked a couple of posts back. The photo with Archer in it too. I'm a bad judge of faces from the looking up at them position, LOL.

It's V'Las.
She's got an awfully nice bum!
-Malcolm Reed on T'Pol, in Shuttlepod One

Return to “Non-Ship Fanfiction”