Is there smoking in the 22nd century?

Romulans, phase-inverters, friendships, OH MY!

Moderators: justTripn, Elessar, dark_rain

Mitchell
Commander
Commander
Show On Map: No

Postby Mitchell » Sat Dec 30, 2006 8:28 pm

Twisted Evil Their's a reason their hasnt been any Smokin of Tobacco in the 22nd, 23rd, an 24th centurys. Twisted Evil

A small group of people who had lost relativies to the affects of smokin banded together an spread out across the globe, an their mission was simple. Destroy all tobacco products, plants, an seeds. By the mid 21st century Tobacco was extinct. Very Happy Problem was solved. Oh an any Tobacco Company Executives that tried to stop them were Dealt with. Twisted Evil Laughing Twisted Evil Laughing Twisted Evil

Wink So ya see even if they wanted to smoke Tobacco products in the Trek Centurys , they couldnt. cause like the Humpedback whale was for a time, Tobacco became extinct. Razz
TnT I love em. Very Happy

dark_rain
Site Admin

Postby dark_rain » Sat Dec 30, 2006 8:33 pm

Mitchell wrote:Twisted Evil Their's a reason their hasnt been any Smokin of Tobacco in the 22nd, 23rd, an 24th centurys. Twisted Evil

A small group of people who had lost relativies to the affects of smokin banded together an spread out across the globe, an their mission was simple. Destroy all tobacco products, plants, an seeds. By the mid 21st century Tobacco was extinct. Very Happy Problem was solved. Oh an any Tobacco Company Executives that tried to stop them were Dealt with. Twisted Evil Laughing Twisted Evil Laughing Twisted Evil

Wink So ya see even if they wanted to smoke Tobacco products in the Trek Centurys , they couldnt. cause like the Humpedback whale was for a time, Tobacco became extinct. Razz

Lovin the way you think, Mitchell. That'll be me destroying the crops!
voo@octane2:~> uname -a
IRIX64 octane2 6.5 07080050 IP30

Rigil Kent
Fleet Captain
Fleet Captain

Postby Rigil Kent » Sat Dec 30, 2006 8:39 pm

Mitchell wrote:A small group of people who had lost relativies to the affects of smokin banded together an spread out across the globe, an their mission was simple. Destroy all tobacco products, plants, an seeds. By the mid 21st century Tobacco was extinct. Very Happy Problem was solved. Oh an any Tobacco Company Executives that tried to stop them were Dealt with. Twisted Evil Laughing Twisted Evil Laughing Twisted Evil

If you're going to go that route, I'd think it more likely that the primary locations for tobacco farming were hit particularly hard during the Third World War, irradiating the regions so the soil wasn't usable. North Carolina, for example, could have been a major target due to Fort Bragg.
"Go, and find the pit where these snakes hide. And be merciless." - Lorenzo de'Medici, Assassin's Creed: Lineage

Sig by Chrisis1033.

Mitchell
Commander
Commander

Postby Mitchell » Sat Dec 30, 2006 9:17 pm

Wink Or it mutated the Tobacco plants into some carniverous plant. Razz
Since you went the irradiated route. Wink

Rigil Kent
Fleet Captain
Fleet Captain

Postby Rigil Kent » Sat Dec 30, 2006 9:22 pm

Uh ... somehow I doubt that nuclear weapons used and created by humans are going to do anything but render the soil useless.

But then, this is Trek Science which makes less sense than any real science, so I suppose it's possible. A little silly, but possible.
"Go, and find the pit where these snakes hide. And be merciless." - Lorenzo de'Medici, Assassin's Creed: Lineage

Sig by Chrisis1033.

Mitchell
Commander
Commander

Postby Mitchell » Sat Dec 30, 2006 10:12 pm

Wink Especialy since traveling at warp 10 is enough to cause Human beings to mutate into over grown salamanders. Wink

Rolling Eyes God the writing on VGR was stupid.

justTripn
Consigliere

Postby justTripn » Sat Dec 30, 2006 10:37 pm

I just noticed that there were cigars in the conclusion of Enterprikayak's last story, which BTW, is a masterpiece. Anyone who hasn't finished it, hurry on over and do so!

justTripn
Consigliere

Postby justTripn » Mon Jan 01, 2007 4:08 pm

Well I lied (or changed my mind). I "fixed" the story I wrote so long ago with the smoking. For some reason, my browser isn't giving me a readable version of it, but it's posted! I couldn't resist because it's a New Years story. It's in Main Engineering, as it features lots of Trip and very little romance. But for what it's worth . . .

justTripn
Consigliere

Re: Is there smoking in the 22nd century?

Postby justTripn » Fri May 04, 2007 12:24 pm

Well I have to end this thread again, since the ending got cut off. CX belatedly remembered Picard smoking in a holodeck program, and he "didn't choke or anything" so smoking must still exist to some extent. QED!
I'm donating my body to science fiction.

pookha
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Postby pookha » Sat May 05, 2007 4:54 pm

was it an historic program or a dixon hill thing because either wouldnt be evidence it still existed.as for picard not choking the smoke could be something harmless and not real tabacco smoke.

really with the traditonal tabacco states going more and more non tabacco in state work places ect and more farmers planting alternate crops it is happening.
i know in my childhood the crops were everywhere and no seldom are they seen.

rogue
Lieutenant Junior Grade
Lieutenant Junior Grade

Postby rogue » Sun May 06, 2007 4:47 am

pookha wrote:was it an historic program or a dixon hill thing because either wouldnt be evidence it still existed.as for picard not choking the smoke could be something harmless and not real tabacco smoke.

really with the traditonal tabacco states going more and more non tabacco in state work places ect and more farmers planting alternate crops it is happening.
i know in my childhood the crops were everywhere and no seldom are they seen

Yes, my hometown was "The Tobacco Capital of the World" and now even the mall is nonsmoking. And rarely do I see tobacco growing in the fields. Mostly soybeans nowadays. So I can see smoking being gone (possibly a few holdouts - some that think it's retrocool and some Hollywood people and models still trying to keep their weight down Confused ) by the 22nd century.

CX
Commodore
Commodore

Postby CX » Sun May 06, 2007 5:26 am

It wouldn't surprise me if it's still around, even if it's more in the form of cigars for special occasions than anything else.

Linda
Commodore
Commodore

Postby Linda » Mon May 07, 2007 1:22 pm

I think all the standard vices will still be around at some level. If the Human body remains the same, the same things that abuse it or give pleasure to it will still have appeal to people, I think. If tobacco growing is banned on Earth, someone will probably just grow it somewhere else. Besides, it is considered a sacred herb by some cultures here on Earth, so I think that it would still be allowed to grow, even if in small controled quantities.
Working on a major fan fic project. Two-thirds done. Hope to put it up in the not TOO distant future.

evcake
Commodore
Commodore

Postby evcake » Mon May 07, 2007 3:59 pm

Plus, I assume people will find other things to smoke, too. Who know what's growing out there.
It's flavored with passionfruit
an appropriate ingredient, don't you think?

Banner by JadziaKathryn

hth2k
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Postby hth2k » Mon May 07, 2007 5:58 pm

Tobacco is a legal product. Marajuana is not.

How difficult is it to acquire marajuana anywhere in this country?

I would bet that if you were to try to find marajuana in any city in the country you could within 24 hours. You could likely find it on most any high school or college campus within a day. This is an illeagle substance and it is everywhere.

If the anti-smokers continue their campaign to ban it all they will acomplish it to drive it into the criminal environment and perhaps make it more attractive, more expensive and lower quality. I have seen the higher taxes in my state resulting in smuggling. People tell me openly they buy out of state without paying the taxes which is illeagle and they know it but find the in state tax onerous. People make regular trips across state lines or the local Indian reservation shops to pick up their smokes to avoid high taxes. Over 50% of all cigarettes sold in New York City are smuggled and untaxed.

http://www.ncpa.org/pi/taxes/pd050300a.html

http://www.ncpa.org/pub/ba/ba423/

There are many more articles supporting this, just do your own search. Have we forgotten the results of prohibition of alcohol?

People want their vices. When others seek to determine for them what they can or cannot have or do they will find a way. That is human nature.

Alcohol will be around. Drugs will be around. Gambling will be around. Prostitution will be around. Corrupt politicians will be around. Crime will be around. Human nature does not change.

HtH

Return to “Non-Ship Fanfiction”