Is there smoking in the 22nd century?

Romulans, phase-inverters, friendships, OH MY!

Moderators: justTripn, Elessar, dark_rain

Rigil Kent
Fleet Captain
Fleet Captain
Show On Map: No

Postby Rigil Kent » Thu Dec 28, 2006 7:00 am

Yeah... it seems to me that, if smoking showed up anywhere in Trek, it would show up on Voyager with Chakotay with whom the Beebs could instill every conceivable Native American "trait", regardless of whether it was appropriate for the geographical location for his tribe's origin. I mean, look at all of the stereotypes they tacked onto Trip in seasons 1 & 2; seems like the only thing they forgot was that he was a NASCAR fan and dipped (used smokeless tobacco to those of you unfamiliar with the vernacular).

I tend to think smoking has gone by the wayside by ENT-era...
"Go, and find the pit where these snakes hide. And be merciless." - Lorenzo de'Medici, Assassin's Creed: Lineage

Sig by Chrisis1033.

Elessar
Site Owner

Postby Elessar » Thu Dec 28, 2006 10:14 am

What's interesting that hasn't been mentioned yet is, perhaps they have a replacement analogous to synthehol.

People always make comments in TNG-era about how synthehol isn't as good as "the real thing" but it's basically the replacement because it's not harmful and just replicates the taste of alcohol.

So why couldn't there by synthetic cigars/cigarettes etc, that replicate the "taste" that smokers like about smoking without the toxic ingredients? It's gotta be technologically possible.

Kevin Thomas Riley
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Postby Kevin Thomas Riley » Thu Dec 28, 2006 11:10 pm

Elessar wrote:What's interesting that hasn't been mentioned yet is, perhaps they have a replacement analogous to synthehol.

People always make comments in TNG-era about how synthehol isn't as good as "the real thing" but it's basically the replacement because it's not harmful and just replicates the taste of alcohol.

So why couldn't there by synthetic cigars/cigarettes etc, that replicate the "taste" that smokers like about smoking without the toxic ingredients? It's gotta be technologically possible.

Well, we don't drink alcohol or smoke just for the taste but for the effect it has on us. That's why I never thought that synthehol crap was believable (or can you get drunk on synthehol?)

I think this "we have "evolved" beyond smoking (and drinking) is a lot of politically correct BS. No matter how advanced our society will be in the future there will always be room for "vices" such as these. One of the many things that Trek got wrong, IMNSHO.

While I don't think any of the main ENT characters were smokers, I can certainly picture some of them lighting a cigar on the appropriate occasion. But mostly I can picture other contemporary characters smoking - and they don't necessarily have to evil either!
She's got an awfully nice bum!
-Malcolm Reed on T'Pol, in Shuttlepod One

Rigil Kent
Fleet Captain
Fleet Captain

Postby Rigil Kent » Thu Dec 28, 2006 11:17 pm

Kevin Thomas Riley wrote:While I don't think any of the main ENT characters were smokers, I can certainly picture some of them lighting a cigar on the appropriate occasion. But mostly I can picture other contemporary characters smoking - and they don't necessarily have to evil either!

See, right there I have a problem. I'm not a smoker. I've never been a smoker. I buried my father because he was a smoker. That said, I don't have any problems with smokers.

But I would never light up personally.

Hence, I don't see why these non-smokers would abruptly start smoking, regardless of the occasion. And a fic that would suddenly have these non-smokers breaking out the cigars or pipes or cigarettes immediately scream OOC to me and it's probable that I'd stop reading from that point.

But it appears that I'm in the minority here. Ah well, I'm used to that.

And Trek got a lot more wrong than just the "evolved" stuff but that's a gripe for a different day.
"Go, and find the pit where these snakes hide. And be merciless." - Lorenzo de'Medici, Assassin's Creed: Lineage

Sig by Chrisis1033.

CX
Commodore
Commodore

Postby CX » Thu Dec 28, 2006 11:20 pm

can you get drunk on synthehol?

Yes, the only differance is that you don't get hung over from it.

Kevin Thomas Riley
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Postby Kevin Thomas Riley » Thu Dec 28, 2006 11:36 pm

Rigil Kent wrote:Hence, I don't see why these non-smokers would abruptly start smoking, regardless of the occasion. And a fic that would suddenly have these non-smokers breaking out the cigars or pipes or cigarettes immediately scream OOC to me and it's probable that I'd stop reading from that point.

I don't know if you have this term across the pond, but here there are what we call "party smokers", i.e. people who don't normally smoke but do it when they're partying. And cigars is much more of a "special occasion" smoke than cigarettes.

And Trek got a lot more wrong than just the "evolved" stuff but that's a gripe for a different day.

Amen to that!

CX wrote:
can you get drunk on synthehol?

Yes, the only differance is that you don't get hung over from it.

All right, then this stuff doesn't cause the same loss of fluids as alcohol does (dehydration is what causes the headaches when you're hung over).

Anyway, what a silly concept! The Federation Nanny State has invented some stuff that takes the ill after effects away but leaves the previous inebriation intact! Rolling Eyes

Rigil Kent
Fleet Captain
Fleet Captain

Postby Rigil Kent » Thu Dec 28, 2006 11:40 pm

Kevin Thomas Riley wrote:
Rigil Kent wrote:Hence, I don't see why these non-smokers would abruptly start smoking, regardless of the occasion. And a fic that would suddenly have these non-smokers breaking out the cigars or pipes or cigarettes immediately scream OOC to me and it's probable that I'd stop reading from that point.

I don't know if you have this term across the pond, but here there are what we call "party smokers", i.e. people who don't normally smoke but do it when they're partying. And cigars is much more of a "special occasion" smoke than cigarettes.

Yes, I'm aware of that phrase and think it's kind of bunk. I've known a couple of people like that and found it interesting that they also smoked every now and again when they were by themselves, or just getting up or...

IMO, smoking simply doesn't fit any of the characters on ENT regardless of the circumstances.

Sig by Chrisis1033.

Kevin Thomas Riley
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Postby Kevin Thomas Riley » Thu Dec 28, 2006 11:47 pm

Rigil Kent wrote:IMO, smoking simply doesn't fit any of the characters on ENT regardless of the circumstances.

Well, the thread title is more about whether there is smoking at all in the 22nd century, and I think it is. In fact, if Trek had been a tad more realistic then I'd say that smoking also took place in the 23rd and 24th centuries. (Unless the authorities treated them as they did in A Dagger of the Mind?)

Or can't you even picture other characters that might pop into an episode or two to be smokers. An Earth scientist, an admiral, some civil servant, a merchant...?

CX
Commodore
Commodore

Postby CX » Thu Dec 28, 2006 11:52 pm

Anyway, what a silly concept! The Federation Nanny State has invented some stuff that takes the ill after effects away but leaves the previous inebriation intact!

Actually the Feringi are to thank for that. And I don't think getting smashed was originally the idea with it, but I can rememebr them having some of the characters getting drunk off of it anyway.

Kevin Thomas Riley
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Postby Kevin Thomas Riley » Thu Dec 28, 2006 11:55 pm

CX wrote:
Anyway, what a silly concept! The Federation Nanny State has invented some stuff that takes the ill after effects away but leaves the previous inebriation intact!

Actually the Feringi are to thank for that.

Knowing what they now about the Commie Lib sentiments of the Federation they probably thought this was something lucrative they could peddle to those "evolved" Humans! Rolling Eyes

Rigil Kent
Fleet Captain
Fleet Captain

Postby Rigil Kent » Thu Dec 28, 2006 11:56 pm

Yes, the thread is about more than the main characters, but it has become about the main characters with several people (yourself included) making comments about being able to envision certain of the main characters lighting up at times. It was mostly that assertion that I was contesting, not whether smoking is still around. As I stated in my original reply, the level of medical technology in this time frame and based on various comments made by the characters (eliminated disease and all), it stands to reason that lung cancer or emphysema are easily cured/eliminated/prevented in this era so I don't see why smoking wouldn't be around in some fashion. I could easily see a subculture that uses it as part of their identity or something...

Sig by Chrisis1033.

dark_rain
Site Admin

Postby dark_rain » Fri Dec 29, 2006 1:28 am

Rigil Kent wrote:Yes, the thread is about more than the main characters, but it has become about the main characters with several people (yourself included) making comments about being able to envision certain of the main characters lighting up at times. It was mostly that assertion that I was contesting, not whether smoking is still around. As I stated in my original reply, the level of medical technology in this time frame and based on various comments made by the characters (eliminated disease and all), it stands to reason that lung cancer or emphysema are easily cured/eliminated/prevented in this era so I don't see why smoking wouldn't be around in some fashion. I could easily see a subculture that uses it as part of their identity or something...

That said, prevention is better than cure, thats true with any illness. So I doubt that smoking would be seen as an acceptable thing to do. Though I can also see it in a culture or somesuch.
voo@octane2:~> uname -a
IRIX64 octane2 6.5 07080050 IP30

CX
Commodore
Commodore

Postby CX » Fri Dec 29, 2006 12:23 pm

My feeeling is that, just like alcohol consumption, it's acceptable in moderation on special occasions. I can't really see any of the main cast lighting up, with the exception of maybe, maybe Malcolm. I base this on nothing. Very Happy

hth2k
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Postby hth2k » Sat Dec 30, 2006 2:03 am

I think like any time you have great pressure to conform there will be those that need to rebel in some way. There will be some fraction of the public that appreciates what a fine cigar or nice scotch has to offer. Cigars, though lumped in with cigarettes and currently villified by various agenda oriented groups are different. Yes both articles involve burning tobacco. It is rather like comparing fine brandy with nite train. In moderation the human body can tolerate many things that are harmful in massive quantities. The key is moderation and management of obsessive compulsive behavior.

So yes, there will be those that enjoy a fine cigar to celebrate a milestone or in a reflective moment.

HtH

chrisis1033
Imager

Postby chrisis1033 » Sat Dec 30, 2006 2:51 am

"Denny Crane!"

Return to “Non-Ship Fanfiction”