Is there smoking in the 22nd century?

Romulans, phase-inverters, friendships, OH MY!

Moderators: justTripn, Elessar, dark_rain

justTripn
Consigliere
Show On Map: No

Is there smoking in the 22nd century?

Postby justTripn » Wed Dec 27, 2006 1:03 am

And now for something completely different: Did smoking die out by the 22nd century in the Star Trek universe?

The backstory: Once I wrote a story in which Trip and Archer were smoking! Probably the only story to ever get rejected from Bucky's site. (The story had other problems, and, don't worry, you won't see it ressurected, but it was rejected on the basis that there is no smoking in the 22nd century.) I noticed in one of Distracted's stories that someone (other than a main character) was smoking. (AND NO, I'm not mad at Bucky. She probably saved me from posting something embarassing.)

Anyway, can you remember an instance of someone smoking on Star Trek, any of the series? (I believe the colonists that had been transplanted from the Wild West to a new planet in one of the 3rd Season Enteprise episodes were smoking, but that's beside the point.)

Rigil Kent
Fleet Captain
Fleet Captain

Postby Rigil Kent » Wed Dec 27, 2006 1:19 am

As politically correct as Trek is? Yeah, I'd say smoking was banned by their nanny state government at some point ... although I personally don't know why. With medical technology at the level it was where cancer seems easily cured, I guess I could see smoking sort of making a return to "in vogue" status like it was in the 30s & 40s.

That said, none of the characters on the show really strike me as smokers though so it'd be pretty hard for me to buy a story where they actually started smoking...
"Go, and find the pit where these snakes hide. And be merciless." - Lorenzo de'Medici, Assassin's Creed: Lineage

Sig by Chrisis1033.

Kevin Thomas Riley
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Postby Kevin Thomas Riley » Wed Dec 27, 2006 3:12 am

Well, I can actually see Archer and Trip breaking out a cigar or two to go with some scotch...
She's got an awfully nice bum!
-Malcolm Reed on T'Pol, in Shuttlepod One

Kenshin
Imager

Postby Kenshin » Wed Dec 27, 2006 6:31 am

Kevin Thomas Riley wrote:Well, I can actually see Archer and Trip breaking out a cigar or two to go with some scotch...

Yeah, I can see them smoke a cigar on a special occasion too, cigarettes not that much. Would be fun to read about T'Pol's reaction to that^^

justTripn
Consigliere

Postby justTripn » Wed Dec 27, 2006 7:08 am

Your signature picture just gave me a flashback. We used to have Barbie Dolls that looked just like that. We used to sew Barbie Dolls cloths for them. Once we sanded down the dolls' breasts on the sidewalk because then it was easier to make the clothes to fit if the Barbies were flatter.

Sorry. Inappropriate. Give me a day to get used to this new site where T'Pol fans as open as Trip fans.

Confused Smile

I am sorely tempted to change ciggarettes to cigars and post my story.

Bether6074
Site Donor

Postby Bether6074 » Wed Dec 27, 2006 10:43 am

justTrip'n wrote:Your signature picture just gave me a flashback. We used to have Barbie Dolls that looked just like that.

I've decided that her body must've come out of a mold. It is unbelievably perfect. It's the only logical explanation. Shock

Rigil Kent
Fleet Captain
Fleet Captain

Postby Rigil Kent » Wed Dec 27, 2006 4:49 pm

Kevin Thomas Riley wrote:Well, I can actually see Archer and Trip breaking out a cigar or two to go with some scotch...

Well, I guess we simply have radically different views on the characters after all as none of them strike me as smokers.
"Go, and find the pit where these snakes hide. And be merciless." - Lorenzo de'Medici, Assassin's Creed: Lineage

Sig by Chrisis1033.

blacknblue
Site Admin

Postby blacknblue » Wed Dec 27, 2006 7:48 pm

I could see smoking being used in that time period the way it is now, as a drug delivery system. I could certianly see, for example, an orion offering a "guest" a pipe loaded with some kind of euphoric weed. Or perhaps some of the off-duty crew indulging in a pipe loaded with a relaxing herbal mix. If people are still drinking dope in that time, why not smoking it?

Kevin Thomas Riley
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Postby Kevin Thomas Riley » Wed Dec 27, 2006 10:49 pm

Rigil Kent wrote:

Well, I guess we simply have radically different views on the characters after all as none of them strike me as smokers.

Not always, but on special occasions, male bonding and all that.

Or after T'Pol gives birth to the first T'Rugrat! Very Happy

Rigil Kent
Fleet Captain
Fleet Captain

Postby Rigil Kent » Wed Dec 27, 2006 10:58 pm

Eh. Sorry. Just don't see it.

To each their own, I suppose.

Sig by Chrisis1033.

Elessar
Site Owner

Postby Elessar » Wed Dec 27, 2006 11:13 pm

I'm also kind of surprised we've never seen cigars busted out in moments of celebration on Star Trek... ever that I can think of.... I could see Picard enjoying a cigar on special occasions... and probably Archer, maybe Trip.

Kevin Thomas Riley
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Postby Kevin Thomas Riley » Wed Dec 27, 2006 11:15 pm

I'm surprised Riker and Troi didn't smoke a joint or two. After all, the 24th century TNG was "Hippie Trek"! Twisted Evil

Rigil Kent
Fleet Captain
Fleet Captain

Postby Rigil Kent » Wed Dec 27, 2006 11:23 pm

It would sure explain *the_abomination* if they had. Rolling Eyes

Sig by Chrisis1033.

Kevin Thomas Riley
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Postby Kevin Thomas Riley » Wed Dec 27, 2006 11:25 pm

Rigil Kent wrote:It would sure explain *the_abomination* if they had. Rolling Eyes

Especially if Barclay was there and inhaled too...

chrisis1033
Imager

Postby chrisis1033 » Thu Dec 28, 2006 5:56 am

IMHO...

No.

Perhaps in other races as a cultural thing, but I suspect that the people of earth are progressing in many ways including no longer smoking.

Return to “Non-Ship Fanfiction”