The never-ending dilemma of reviews...

Romulans, phase-inverters, friendships, OH MY!

Moderators: justTripn, Elessar, dark_rain

Distracted
Site Donor
Show On Map: No

Re: The never-ending dilemma of reviews...

Postby Distracted » Fri Aug 03, 2012 3:45 pm

Ugh. I thought all you professorial types had graduate assistants to do the photocopies. :-p
Image sig by chrisis1033

Alelou
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral
Twitter username: @sheerhubris

Postby Alelou » Fri Aug 03, 2012 4:27 pm

Oh, hell no. Not where I teach. It's even worse at the 4-year-college, where they only have one copy center and my ID doesn't work on the machine until the week before class, and the department secretary has been described to me as "useless and mean." Which was demonstrated to me by the fact that I had to figure all that out the hard way, by walking all over campus during a heat wave, AFTER I had asked her how I could get some photocopying done!

At least at the community college they sprinkle machines all over campus for us, and if we're organized enough we can send it to the print shop via email and get it back fairly promptly.
OMG, ANOTHER new chapter! NORTH STAR Chapter 28
Image.Image
Read opening chapters free at Amazon (US): The Awful Mess: A Love Story
Blog: Sheer Hubris Press / Twitter: @sheerhubris / Facebook: Sandra Hutchison

Distracted
Site Donor

Postby Distracted » Fri Aug 03, 2012 4:47 pm

That card must be handy. Our department's so tight for funds we copy anything in house on the back sides of other things.
Image sig by chrisis1033

Weeble
Captain
Captain

Postby Weeble » Fri Aug 03, 2012 10:50 pm

Hmmm.

the joys of the public vs. private sector. Why not scan and send it as a print job and get reimbursed for paper and ink? Or perhaps go to the qwik print and let them do it and get reimbursed. Trust me its cheaper that way......crawling back into my capitalist pig hole now.

><((((º>you get his dorsal I'll get his pectoral><((((º>
><((((º>
RIP Tom, I will miss you, as will many others

Alelou
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Postby Alelou » Sat Aug 04, 2012 12:18 am

There's no such thing as reimbursement with these folks. And I already print most originals at home because the office conditions are not very good for adjuncts and I never know if I can count on being able to print there.

What annoys me the most is that even though it's exactly like being a freelancer in terms of pay and benefits (if rather lower paid than any freelance work I've ever done), I'm considered an employee and therefore can't deduct any of my expenses on my taxes. K-12 teachers can (up to a limit), but not college teachers. Most K-12 teachers make a much better salary than I do, and get benefits too.

Hell, the entry level janitors at these colleges make more than I do. Ironically, they wouldn't interview me for a marketing position at the community college a few years ago because after they heard my salary history they decided I was too overqualified and wouldn't be content with what they could offer, even though I assured them it was fine with me.

Maybe they'd take me more seriously now... but then again I'm getting pissed off that low-level marketing people make so much more than many of the people who actually teach the students.

For me, it's affordable because my husband has a decent job, but it's really sad watching some of my younger colleagues try to actually patch together a living from this profession. I don't think teaching at any level should require a vow of poverty.
Image.Image

putaro
Captain
Captain

Postby putaro » Sat Sep 29, 2012 7:04 am

Well, I got hit by the resident TnT troll over at the Den of Voles (I love that moniker).

C.S. Tolkien wrote:I dont understand something, were you translate "having a one night stand" when a person is totally druged and can be compared to rape to "all happily in love and live for ever with that person".

Are you a hard fan?

I am a regular fan, and I dont exagerate things like the relationship between T'Pol and Tucker, T'Pol maybe have some respect to Tucker, but when to come to feeling, T'Pol treat Tucker like leprous, apart of the druged one night stand, and their hybrid child experiment, T'Pol dont have any love for Tucker at all.

Dont get me wrong, I like noncanon pairings, but dont when they act so out of character.

I really don't understand people who are going to read a story that's clearly marked, with a fairly standard relationship, and then try to dump all over that relationship. I'll take criticism on my writing, plot, etc. but this seems more like a dump on a whole group of people who enjoy this.

putaro
Captain
Captain

Postby putaro » Sat Sep 29, 2012 7:16 am

I fed the troll.

Putaro wrote:Well, you're welcome not to read stories about Trip and T'Pol's relationship. I noticed you wrote a similar review for Alelou's Missing Scenes, which are an entire series simply dedicated to exploring the TnT relationship in more depth. Coming in and dumping on that kind of core plot point is kind of like coming in and saying "Why do you believe in spaceships and aliens? Aren't you too old for that?"

I think that T'Pol did treat Trip badly during the series, however the writers also clearly telegraphed that they wanted to have a relationship between them.

We have Harbringer (which you want to claim that T'Pol was drugged, although I would argue that the writers probably hadn't even thought of her abusing trellium when they wrote that episode, given how little forethought they put into most of the show).

In E2, they are depicted as having been happily married on the alternate Enterprise.

At the end of "Zero Hour" there's certainly something about to happen between them.

In "Home", T'Pol is clearly inviting Trip to Vulcan because she wants to expand their relationship.

In "Bound", she again clearly shows that she wants something to be happening between them when she kisses Trip and asks him to stay.

Personally, I think that T'Pol did treat Trip badly - one approach is to simply wish it away as bad writing. I tend to see it as her own internal conflicts between her culture and her unwillingness to acknowledge her emotions. As I had Chef put it:

"Look, she's a Vulcan. Her whole life she's been taught that emotions are bad, that she should be a good little Vulcan, that Humans smell, and fun is a four-letter word."

I resolved their relationship to my satisfaction. If that is unconvincing to you, oh well. However, it doesn't sound as if you are willing to be convinced, but that you enjoy trashing the whole idea of this relationship. In which case, good day to you sir.

Kotik

Postby Kotik » Sat Sep 29, 2012 7:54 am

Don't mind my ignorance, but what is the Den of Voles ? :neutral:

putaro
Captain
Captain

Postby putaro » Sat Sep 29, 2012 8:15 am

Kotik wrote:Don't mind my ignorance, but what is the Den of Voles ? :neutral:

fanfiction.net - doesn't Rigel Kent call it that all the time?

Asso
Site Donor

Postby Asso » Sat Sep 29, 2012 1:08 pm

putaro wrote:Well, I got hit by the resident TnT troll over at the Den of Voles (I love that moniker).

C.S. Tolkien wrote:I dont understand something, were you translate "having a one night stand" when a person is totally druged and can be compared to rape to "all happily in love and live for ever with that person".

Are you a hard fan?

I am a regular fan, and I dont exagerate things like the relationship between T'Pol and Tucker, T'Pol maybe have some respect to Tucker, but when to come to feeling, T'Pol treat Tucker like leprous, apart of the druged one night stand, and their hybrid child experiment, T'Pol dont have any love for Tucker at all.

Dont get me wrong, I like noncanon pairings, but dont when they act so out of character.

I really don't understand people who are going to read a story that's clearly marked, with a fairly standard relationship, and then try to dump all over that relationship. I'll take criticism on my writing, plot, etc. but this seems more like a dump on a whole group of people who enjoy this.

Here we say: world is beautiful because it is various, which means "it takes all kinds, it takes all sorts".
Of course, every now and then, I would not mind eliminating a little of its variety.
Well yes. I continue to write. And on Fanfiction.Net, for those who want, it is possible to cast a glance at my latest efforts. We arrived to
The Ears of the Elves, chapter Forty-four

And here is the beginning of the whole story.

But, I must say, you could also find something else on Fanfiction.net written by me. If you want.

Distracted
Site Donor

Postby Distracted » Sat Sep 29, 2012 2:34 pm

Yay, putaro! :clap:

A very elegantly worded defense of our fandom. Well done, sir!
Image sig by chrisis1033

Kotik

Postby Kotik » Sat Sep 29, 2012 5:23 pm

Distracted wrote:Yay, putaro! :clap:

A very elegantly worded defense of our fandom. Well done, sir!

Couldn't agree more :clap: My reply would probably have been a bit more...um... straightforward :oops:

Alelou
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Postby Alelou » Sun Sep 30, 2012 1:19 pm

Nice response, Putaro, but this guy is simply a troll. I don't know if it still does, but his profile used to include the suggestion that the US actually attacked itself on 9/11. I know there are crazy left wingers who believe that it was a Bush conspiracy (I have cousins in England who half-believe that and also believe microwave ovens are trying to kill them), but this guy strikes me as less devoted to uncovering the truth than to trying to piss people off. I've noticed he only bothers to review stories that have a lot of reviews -- no doubt because he wants to be seen. I'm sure he's not even reading the stories.

Sorry I haven't been around, BTW. I've become strangely devoted to getting my real life work done this year, and have also developed an unhealthy obsession with the current election. (Also, I know if I spend any time on this stuff I really ought to spend it on "North Star," and that's just not coming right now.)
Image.Image

Weeble
Captain
Captain

Postby Weeble » Sun Sep 30, 2012 9:56 pm

North Star ... North Star ... North Star ... Alelou is the best, rock star author...

The cheering from the peanut gallery was overwhelming.

><((((º>yippee
RIP Tom, I will miss you, as will many others

putaro
Captain
Captain

Postby putaro » Mon Oct 01, 2012 2:33 am

I got back a response from him, it basically boiled down to "You have to keep doing what was in the show". Since he is writing and reading (well, perhaps not really reading) fan fic, I assume there was an unspoken coda of "(unless it's what I want you to do)". In any case, there certainly wasn't any room for discussion so I gave him a "Good day to you sir".

Hopefully he does not know the comeback (NSFW and I think Kotik will like it)

Return to “Non-Ship Fanfiction”