The never-ending dilemma of reviews...

Romulans, phase-inverters, friendships, OH MY!

Moderators: justTripn, Elessar, dark_rain

Alelou
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral
Twitter username: @sheerhubris
Show On Map: No

Re: The never-ending dilemma of reviews...

Postby Alelou » Mon Oct 01, 2012 11:46 am

LOL to both of you.
OMG, ANOTHER new chapter! NORTH STAR Chapter 28
Image.Image
Read opening chapters free at Amazon (US): The Awful Mess: A Love Story
Blog: Sheer Hubris Press / Twitter: @sheerhubris / Facebook: Sandra Hutchison

Kotik

Postby Kotik » Wed Nov 07, 2012 7:40 am

*Sigh*

There's my dilemma again. Our special friend is back on ff.net. The one, who blantantly plagiarized concepts of other stories. His (I assume he so I don't have to endlessly write he/she) latest story is actually quite good, but the grammar and spelling give me rabies :crazed:
It started out ok, but its starting to deteriorate and the latest chapter's grammar is simply atrocious. Reading that I feel like a dyslexic. I see the words, but some sentences just don't make sense :spiraleyes:
Just some examples:

Rolling up his sleeves, he stated working
Trip often wondered how old Vulcans lived
"You are attractive example of the male species, which can be blind some,"
Even the 26 MACOs had rooms, with one the noncoms having to double up

That story has almost 80 reviews - some of them from people of our forum - but nobody says a blasted thing about the abysmal writing :doubt: :bitch:
But the really maddening thing is: I would like to, but then he'll probably take it down again and I'll be the culprit again :doubt:

Weeble
Captain
Captain

Postby Weeble » Wed Nov 07, 2012 11:23 pm

Kotik

I'd leave him alone and have a pint before reading...
RIP Tom, I will miss you, as will many others

Alelou
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Postby Alelou » Thu Nov 08, 2012 2:34 am

My advice: If you don't like it, don't finish reading it.

If you like it enough to read it to the end and you want to leave feedback about issues with it, try to be constructive, and try to mix something nice in with the advice. After all, you wouldn't have kept reading if it didn't have something going for it.

I would suggest you don't think about how many reviews he has. For all you know he has a ton of pals in fanfic land, or most of his readers don't really know English, or maybe he's a master of suspense if not grammar. In any case, obsessing about other authors' reviews never did any writer any good.

Personally I'd just be thankful about signs of continuing life in our little corner of the universe.
Image.Image

Kotik

Postby Kotik » Thu Nov 08, 2012 7:50 am

Kotik doesn't do constructive criticism very well, I'm afraid :?

Yes, the story has a lot going for it, else I would've given up on it. But seriously, it is an excersize (I'll never learn how that darn word is spelt) in frustration. It's like finding a Supermodel in bed and discovering that she has a mustache. :banghead:

Alelou
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Postby Alelou » Thu Nov 08, 2012 9:21 pm

[quote="Kotik"]Kotik doesn't do constructive criticism very well, I'm afraid :?

:twisted: Ya think?

I'm not always very good at it, either, as has been brought home to me by various deeply offended people over the years.

If the characterization is plausible to me and the plot is compelling and not too slow moving, I'll put up with a lot of errors.

For instance, despite a pretty awful first chapter, lots of errors, and occasional tedious political propagandizing, I was absolutely riveted by this story: http://www.fanfiction.net/s/7970497/1/I ... s-Book-One
Image.Image

Asso
Site Donor

Postby Asso » Thu Nov 08, 2012 9:38 pm

Alelou wrote:...For instance, despite a pretty awful first chapter, lots of errors, and occasional tedious political propagandizing, I was absolutely riveted by this story: http://www.fanfiction.net/s/7970497/1/I ... s-Book-One

I missed this story. Thank you. I'll try to read it. We shall see.
Well yes. I continue to write. And on Fanfiction.Net, for those who want, it is possible to cast a glance at my latest efforts. We arrived to
The Ears of the Elves, chapter Forty-four

And here is the beginning of the whole story.

But, I must say, you could also find something else on Fanfiction.net written by me. If you want.

Kotik

Postby Kotik » Thu Nov 08, 2012 10:48 pm

Alelou wrote: :twisted: Ya think?

I'm not always very good at it, either, as has been brought home to me by various deeply offended people over the years.

Tae hell with it. Just saw the latest chapter - great story line but a grammar that drives every English teacher with a shred of self-respect into suicide. I'm gonna say it...

I think for my standards it came across quite diplomatically:
Your story has a lot going for it. It's better than your earlier stories by miles. Great story line and very interesting chapters, but bloody norah, I hope your English teacher never reads this. You started out ok, and if I remember correctly, I suggested making use of a beta-reader about a dozen time by now. Over the last few chapters your grammar has deteriorated to a point where reading becomes an exercise in frustration - it's simply atrocious. I like the frequent updates as much as the next guy, but I would happily trade it for sentences without missing words or words that a completely wrong. [deliberate pun to prove the point]

I hope you'll get back to the level of attention that you spent on the first chapters, which were a lot more readable. The latest ones felt like finding a naked supermodel in your bed before realizing she has a mustache. The story is brilliant, the writing as of late is everything but.

Alelou
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Postby Alelou » Fri Nov 09, 2012 2:22 am

That looks reasonable to me. You even spelled exercise right!
Image.Image

Kotik

Postby Kotik » Fri Nov 09, 2012 6:01 am

Alelou wrote:You even spelled exercise right!

Well, I cheated and looked it up in the dictionary :lol:

Kotik

Postby Kotik » Wed Nov 14, 2012 2:52 pm

Ok, I gave up on that story :? It's completely unreadable. I think the latest chapter was actually written in Klingon and then he piped it through google translator. I've never seen such an atrocious writing before, not even from this very author. :shock:

Cogito
Fleet Captain
Fleet Captain

Postby Cogito » Wed Nov 14, 2012 11:37 pm

And there was me thinking to myself that he was getting better - slightly. The muddled-up words keep tripping me up but he's working on an interesting storyline. (I don't know why I think it's a "he" but it seems that way to me.)

Kotik

Postby Kotik » Thu Nov 15, 2012 12:59 am

Must be a man. No woman would ever fcuk things up like that :?

Kotik

Postby Kotik » Fri Dec 07, 2012 12:15 pm

[rant]
I'm absolutely furious :banghead: Seriously, people on ff.net have to have their priorities on backwards! A fantastic story like Eireann's "Fur and Fathers" has a grand total of eight (!!) reviews, while some stinking pile of linguistic diarrhea like "The Price of being a Warrior" has 10 times as much!! Yes, it has an interesting story-line - half of it stolen from other stories (if you've read "Family Matters" you know half of his story already) - but Eireann's plot is not only good, it's original, too. That's a farking travesty. I was about to post an almighty slating, but that author has blocked me from reviewing. Since (untypically for me) I haven't slated him before, it becomes obvious that someone pulled a Stalin and only allows positive reviews. And it makes my blood boil that some of our members took part in that farce. 84 reviews and nobody mentions that the thing is so abysmally written it would embarras the bleeping shite out of a non-native speaker.
Why do I even try to get my English right if I could've just logorrhea'ed into a file and collect more reviews than one of the truly talented authors. Pathetic! :evil:
[/rant]

Return to “Non-Ship Fanfiction”