How do you like your Romulans - with or without head bumps?

Romulans, phase-inverters, friendships, OH MY!

Moderators: justTripn, Elessar, dark_rain

putaro
Captain
Captain
Show On Map: No

How do you like your Romulans - with or without head bumps?

Postby putaro » Fri Jul 13, 2012 6:05 am

Personally, I preferred the old style, where you can't tell them from the Vulcans, and I'm thinking about keeping to that in my writing. Part of it is that I like that the differences between Romulans and Vulcans are purely cultural, not biological.

How do you prefer to see them?

PoweredByCoffee
Lieutenant Junior Grade
Lieutenant Junior Grade

Re: How do you like your Romulans - with or without head bum

Postby PoweredByCoffee » Fri Jul 13, 2012 6:33 am

I have to agree. I like the duality of the "cool" logical Vulcans against the "heated" emotional Romulans. And having them look as close to each other as they did them makes it a bit more fun to muck around with.
"Coffee: the finest organic suspension ever devised." - Captain Kathryn Janeway, Professional Badass

WarpGirl
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Postby WarpGirl » Fri Jul 13, 2012 8:53 am

Why can't there be both? A group of Romulans who inter-bred with the Remans or some other native spieces on Romulus and Remus, and a group that didn't? Either way, it's never really mattered to me.
Some of these people haven't taken their medication. Let's see what happens now...
Donna Moss: The West Wing

And by people WG had herself in mind, but then the quote would have been ruined.
Fics
May We Together Become Greater Than The Sum Of Us
*Rights,* Wrongs, and Choices

Distracted
Site Donor

Postby Distracted » Fri Jul 13, 2012 6:38 pm

No bumps. I definitely prefer no bumps. Of course, I prefer smooth-headed Klingons, too, so I guess I'm weird.
Image sig by chrisis1033

Alelou
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral
Twitter username: @sheerhubris

Postby Alelou » Fri Jul 13, 2012 7:24 pm

In addition to reducing the threat of confusion with Vulcans, the bumps make a previously diabolically attractive group of people quite unappealing.

I'm fine with bumpy Klingons, though. They really went to town with them, and I find them a lot more convincing than the cheapo bumpy Romulans.
OMG, ANOTHER new chapter! NORTH STAR Chapter 28
Image.Image
Read opening chapters free at Amazon (US): The Awful Mess: A Love Story
Blog: Sheer Hubris Press / Twitter: @sheerhubris / Facebook: Sandra Hutchison

Kevin Thomas Riley
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Postby Kevin Thomas Riley » Mon Jul 16, 2012 11:10 pm

The bumps make no biological sense considering how recent the Vulcan-Romulan split is. So no Rommie bumps for me.
She's got an awfully nice bum!
-Malcolm Reed on T'Pol, in Shuttlepod One

Weeble
Captain
Captain

Postby Weeble » Tue Jul 17, 2012 12:40 am

Klingon Bumps - Yes
Rommie bumps - a seeming artificial construct. Did they all start banging their collective heads against the wall on the trip from Vulcan??????
not really a fan of the haircuts or uniforms either, but I digress.

Best thing to do to a rommie,

Choot 'em Clint, Choot 'em - Troy Landry Swamp People
RIP Tom, I will miss you, as will many others

Distracted
Site Donor

Postby Distracted » Tue Jul 17, 2012 12:44 am

Mais, ya cher! Dem Rommies be wors'n rou garou, dem. Choot 'em all dead. :reddawn:

:vulcan:
Image sig by chrisis1033

Linda
Commodore
Commodore

Postby Linda » Fri Aug 31, 2012 3:04 pm

Bumpy ones, please. I like to be able to easily distinguish between my Vulcans and my Romulans. Kinda like distinguishing between the heroes in white hats and the villians in black hats. I like life to be simple.

Actually I prefer life to be complex - it makes for more interesting plot lines. But I still want my Romulans bumpy, peace-loving challenged, telepathically challenged, and sexually charged up at all times instead of horny once every 7 years - under their flat forehead disguises so they can spy on Vulcans in their attempts to annex the old home world.
Working on a major fan fic project. Two-thirds done. Hope to put it up in the not TOO distant future.

Linda
Commodore
Commodore

Postby Linda » Fri Aug 31, 2012 3:14 pm

Oh, on reading the other posts here about perhaps the forehead bumps are artificial (like tattoos or something, for effect?), and others saying there wasn't enough time since they left Vulcan for this to be an evolutionary development - I have always thought the Romulans were a separate race who had those ridges before they left Vulcan. I think they left because they were treated as an inferior race by flat foreheaded Vulcans who also despised them for their lack of telepathic ability. So the differences could have developed over a million years on the home world.
Working on a major fan fic project. Two-thirds done. Hope to put it up in the not TOO distant future.

Asso
Site Donor

Postby Asso » Fri Aug 31, 2012 9:50 pm

It is interesting, really interesting to see how the explanations that each of us can find for what we have seen on the screen are so different from one another and, at the same time, all equally valid.
For me, for example (but, wanting to use a closer look, it is perfectly suited to my way of being and thinking) the Romulans embody quite simply the most true essence of Vulcans, what Vulcans are in reality, and that, maybe, just maybe, they wouldn't like to be.
I see the Romulans identical to the Vulcans, physically and, on the whole, even in the soul.
If they are, if they appear, different, it is because they think (want to think) in a different way.
It is their curse, the curse of both.
Not very different, if not equal, to the curse that haunts the different ethnic groups of Humans.
Well yes. I continue to write. And on Fanfiction.Net, for those who want, it is possible to cast a glance at my latest efforts. We arrived to
The Ears of the Elves, chapter Forty-four

And here is the beginning of the whole story.

But, I must say, you could also find something else on Fanfiction.net written by me. If you want.

Return to “Non-Ship Fanfiction”