Advice for fanfic writers: What would YOU say?

Romulans, phase-inverters, friendships, OH MY!

Moderators: justTripn, Elessar, dark_rain

Distracted
Site Donor
Show On Map: No

Advice for fanfic writers: What would YOU say?

Postby Distracted » Fri Feb 17, 2012 8:23 pm

I was thinking about panyasan's recent suggestions in the "New Member Recruitment" thread, and it occurred to me that I might have something to contribute. Over the years I have done quite a bit of reading about the process of writing. I've also learned a few other things from painful experience. Keep in mind, though, that although I do have a considerable amount of fanfiction floating around out there in the ether, I have never actually been paid for anything I've written (unless you count the medical procedures/protocols and patient information sheets I write at work. :roll: ), so feel free to take all of this with a whole bucketload of salt.

I would love to hear from any members who actually have been published, especially if they are in disagreement with anything I'm getting ready to say. And if anybody has any other advice, please give it to us.

So.... this is what I would say to a new writer.

If you want to be a fanfic writer, you must:
1. Apply butt to chair
2. Apply fingers to keyboard (or if you're old school, pen to paper)
3. Write something
4. If what you just wrote is incredibly awful, rewrite it until you can read it without cringing
5. Repeat steps 3 and 4 until you have a complete story
6. Show the story to a beta reader/editor who can be trusted to be completely honest with you
7. Don't take it personally when he/she rips it to shreds
8. Re-write the story until you're satisfied with it. Feel free to ignore everything your editor told you, but don't blame him/her if the story still stinks. Use the delete button liberally. Starting over is also an option.
9. Submit the story
10. Don't take it personally if it gets sent back
11. Revise and re-submit
12. Repeat steps 9-11 until you see your story posted
13. Wait with bated breath for comments
14. Bask in the light of positive comments. Don't take negative comments personally, but use them to improve future stories.
15. Go back to step 1
Image sig by chrisis1033

panyasan
Commodore
Commodore

Re: Advice for fanfic writers: What would YOU say?

Postby panyasan » Fri Feb 17, 2012 9:33 pm

Great steps!

The advice I like to give:

1. Jump and start writing and writing.
2. Write from your heart and the story you like to tell.
3. Go back to a event that gave you a certain feeling. Try to analyse what you felt. When it's close to the feeling you want to bring across, use that.
Love is a verb.

Chapter 17 of Word of Ice is up!

https://www.fanfiction.net/s/8522099/17/World-of-Ice

The Naked Truth and other necessities of life

https://www.fanfiction.net/s/12056258/1 ... es-of-life

WarpGirl
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Postby WarpGirl » Fri Feb 17, 2012 10:21 pm

Does it count as being published if your mother took a poem and submitted it to the Library of Congress' poetry book, without your consent or knowledge? Not being modest, I actually want to know...

Here's my advice, easily ignored...

1. Before you tap keys, or scratch on paper, make sure you are passionate about the story you want to tell. You must be obsessed with it, you must love it completely, you must become completely immersed in the world you want to create. If you don't have passion, your readers will notice. When your readers notice that, it will affect them more than any errors. The old saying is that "Love covers a mulitude of sins." It's true! Pour out your love and passion for your creation.

2. Never EVER write for anyone but yourself! Yes Reviews are awesome!, Beta's are an invaulable and absolute necessity Constructive criticism, is The most precious and wonderful thing you will ever recieve! But you will NEVER be satisfied if you aren't happy with a piece even if every reader gives you a glowing review! Another reason to avoid writing for people is that there will always be someone who doesn't like your work. (For me it's my sister) you'll never please everyone it's pointless to try.

3. Talent is overrated! True story: Over at the KotOR site there was a guy who left wonderful comments on the Art Threads, and I said "Far why don't you draw something?" his response... "Silver..." (that's me) "I have no talent I never did art in my life. I'm a biology guy." Long story short... http://browse.deviantart.com/?qh=&secti ... =farlander HE SELLS HIS ARTWORK NOW! Check it out!

So remember our dear SB and Cogito, experience is not required, and talent is overrated! Anyone can learn as they go. :angel:

4. Have fun! The minute it's not fun anymore, it's not worth it at all! Enjoy the process, be exhuberent, this should be something that gives you joy! It makes the frustration worth it. :D ;-)

5. Comment on authors that you really respect and enjoy! They may end up helping you out!
Some of these people haven't taken their medication. Let's see what happens now...
Donna Moss: The West Wing

And by people WG had herself in mind, but then the quote would have been ruined.
Fics
May We Together Become Greater Than The Sum Of Us
*Rights,* Wrongs, and Choices

lfvoy
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander
Twitter username: lfvoy

Postby lfvoy » Sat Feb 18, 2012 1:34 am

I agree with everything I've seen so far but here are a couple of additional things I'd say.

In the phrase, "fanfic writing," the verb is writing. Fanfic is an adjective. Don't let anyone try to convince you that it's not "real" writing just because it's fanfic. People who say that either haven't written fanfic or are afraid of the idea that someone might like their characters/setting/scenario so much that they want to share it. If you write fanfic, you are a writer. Period.

Take a notebook with you everywhere (or, if you have a smartphone, make sure you have a note-taking app). You never know where or when something might get your attention, and memory can be fleeting.

There's nothing wrong with stretching your boundaries every now and then, particularly if you're trying to get yourself out of a rut. If you can't get that TnT story to work but there's a little A/T story playing around in the back of your head...write it! (Just don't post it to TriSilk. ;-)) It's weird how doing that sometimes actually can unblock a stoppage on what you're really working on.

Be nice to your readers. If you're not absolutely sure you're going to finish the story, don't post the WIP. This is hard, because you have to forego immediate feedback, but it can be worth it in the end. It also sometimes provides the incentive you need to finish the story.

Fanfiction is also about community. Don't be afraid to contact authors you like, no matter how much you may stand in awe of them. Almost all of them will answer you. And that's what has kept me coming back to it for years.
My fan fiction is in The Laundry Room.

WarpGirl
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Postby WarpGirl » Sat Feb 18, 2012 1:41 am

lfvoy wrote:
Be nice to your readers. If you're not absolutely sure you're going to finish the story, don't post the WIP. This is hard, because you have to forego immediate feedback, but it can be worth it in the end. It also sometimes provides the incentive you need to finish the story.

But IF by some strange chance life throws you a major curve ball and you stall out, and have already posted something, do not get rid of the documents. You never know it could be YEARS later when you get inspired ot finish!

Okay that's my guilt talking but it happens through nobody's fault.
Some of these people haven't taken their medication. Let's see what happens now...

And by people WG had herself in mind, but then the quote would have been ruined.
Fics

Alelou
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral
Twitter username: @sheerhubris

Postby Alelou » Sat Feb 18, 2012 2:43 am

I don't have much to add to all this. Most writing gets better with practice.

The best writers are, first and foremost, readers. It's hard to have a truly good ear for prose unless you read a lot of good prose. (And I'm not talking about other fanfic.)

The good news is that fanfic readers on the whole are not very picky, and will put up with some weaknesses as long as you have some strengths mixed in. So it's a great, low-pressure way to get your feet wet as a writer.

If you are terrified putting stuff out there and afraid critical feedback will crush you, then 1) make sure you've gotten assurance from people you trust that it really is ready for publication, and 2) go ahead and ask your readers to be gentle.

Finally, if you want reviews (who doesn't?), be out there reviewing other people's stuff. It's not a matter of "you scratch my back and I'll scratch yours" (unless you're into that kind of craven transaction, I guess). But it's a small community and people will notice if you never bother to say anything about anyone else's work.
OMG, ANOTHER new chapter! NORTH STAR Chapter 28
Image.Image
Read opening chapters free at Amazon (US): The Awful Mess: A Love Story
Blog: Sheer Hubris Press / Twitter: @sheerhubris / Facebook: Sandra Hutchison

panyasan
Commodore
Commodore

Postby panyasan » Sat Feb 18, 2012 8:22 am

When I write a story I always started with a scene. From that scenes follows another and before I know it, I have a story. And because my time is limited I mostly write short pieces every time, like spending 15 minutes on each piece. (My other problem is that I sometimes lack the words, because English isn't my first language. Even when I look up words, I just choose a word on my gut feeling (and isn't it great to have beta's!))

But back to the scene. For people who start to write, be aware that a scene is more than just dialogue.
You have to think: where does the conversation takes place? How does that place look like? Sixty procent of our communication is non-verbal: so what is the body language? What's the expression on characters faces? What are they thinking?

Let me give an example:

You can write a scene like this:

"Because our counterparts have chosen a life together, it doesn't mean our relationship will have the same outcome," T'Pol said.

"You just will not admit it, do you?" Trip answered. "That you may have feelings for me."

Now we are going to add the details:

The room was cold. T'Pol was standing before one of the tubes, almost like she had been clued to it. Her body was rigid, her arms folded before her. When she spoke, her voice sounded hard. Her eyes were on the ground, firmly avoiding to look at him.

"Because our counterparts have chosen a life together, it doesn't mean our relationship will have the same outcome," T'Pol said. She looked up for a second, almost fearfull, her green-brown eyes filled with a sadness Trip couldn't explain. He felt the urge to touch her face in a gesture of comfort, but he knew she would stiffen under his touch. "You just will not admit it, do you?" Trip whispered. "That you may have feelings for me."

I am writing this scene and my kids are demanding their breakfast (not a very good situation to write :lol: ), but hopefully it has become clear you can make a scene come alive with adding emotions and descriptions.
Love is a verb.

panyasan
Commodore
Commodore

Postby panyasan » Sat Feb 18, 2012 10:19 am

Sorry for the double post!

Two other advices:

1. People want to read a story. Your story is a reflection of your personality, but the story has to come first. So when you are a great expert of - let me say - Vulcan chairs and you want to share that with the word - as it doesn't fit the story, if it breaks the story and make your reader stop reading - delete that Vulcan chair-scene! It's all about the story, not about you.

2. If you like to write, start by writing reviews. It helps you to analyse the stories you like and you can learn a great deal from writing reviews. A couple of months ago, I wrote reviews on every chapter of Dinah's story The Thorn and The Rose. One review was my analyse of Trip's and Jon's reaction toward each other and what it said about their relationship in the past and present. The reviews gave me food to think about our favorite characters.
BTW when you get reviews yourself, don't get defensive. I know it's a natural response - and I am as human as any other writer - but listen to what your readers have to say.
Love is a verb.

Silverbullet
Commodore
Commodore

Postby Silverbullet » Sat Feb 18, 2012 3:00 pm

I guess I have violated just about everything that has been posted above. all of the good advice.

I jumped in. I had someone to lean on JT. She was a help.

a couple of my stories I wrote in about a half hour. They probably reflect that. : My Mate, T'Pol's POV; Oh, Mr. Tucker. to name two of them.

The first has been read by some people and some have commented favorably on it. They wre probably being kind.

However, Oh, Mr. Tucker has been read by over 33000 people. since 2009 it has averaged 100 people a month on FF Net. There have been a few reveiws there too. On Trisilkit had over 800 readers 99 percent of them guests) So, one of my stories resonated with some readers.

SB
I am Retired. Having a good time IS my job

panyasan
Commodore
Commodore

Postby panyasan » Sat Feb 18, 2012 3:04 pm

What I like about your writing, SB, is that you not afraid to try different angles and types of stories. I noticed I mostly write the same way and have the same kind of stories. What I learned from you, SB, is that there are so many kind of stories I can try.
Love is a verb.

Silverbullet
Commodore
Commodore

Postby Silverbullet » Sat Feb 18, 2012 3:20 pm

Originality is very difficult. I try for it. I may fall flat on my face but the intent of being different is there.

My stori Oh, Mr. Tucker. 3000 readers is not much for writers like alelou and some of the far better writers that are posted on the Trip and t'Pol site. but for me that is quite a number.

Right now my main problem is my editor, Cognito, he is up to his eyeballs. He is an editor for many others,a beta and he has his work. so he has little time for my stories.they are in his folder but he has yet to select one to edit.

I wnated to have a new story a month up but that has not happened.

SB

Asso
Site Donor

Postby Asso » Sat Feb 18, 2012 3:27 pm

For me, plots, scenes, stories, dialogues, descriptions ... All reverberates inside me.
My nature shrinks from the rules.
I express my world. Even when I fail.
Well yes. I continue to write. And on Fanfiction.Net, for those who want, it is possible to cast a glance at my latest efforts. We arrived to
The Ears of the Elves, chapter Forty-four

And here is the beginning of the whole story.

But, I must say, you could also find something else on Fanfiction.net written by me. If you want.

Alelou
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral
Twitter username: @sheerhubris

Postby Alelou » Sat Feb 18, 2012 4:13 pm

Silverbullet wrote:I wnated to have a new story a month up but that has not happened.

SB

Well, at least aim for a haiku up TODAY....
OMG, ANOTHER new chapter! NORTH STAR Chapter 28
Image.Image
Read opening chapters free at Amazon (US): The Awful Mess: A Love Story
Blog: Sheer Hubris Press / Twitter: @sheerhubris / Facebook: Sandra Hutchison

WarpGirl
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Postby WarpGirl » Sat Feb 18, 2012 4:23 pm

Silverbullet wrote:Right now my main problem is my editor, Cognito, he is up to his eyeballs. He is an editor for many others,a beta and he has his work. so he has little time for my stories.they are in his folder but he has yet to select one to edit.

This reminds me... Beta's are GIFTS, not servents! It is incredibly hard to find a beta, and sometimes you find one that is a bad fit. When that happens you end the partnership as amicably as possible and move on. But even when it doesn't work out, remember that the person is giving you a precious gift.

They don't have to volunteer to take valuable time out from their lives for someone they've never met, for no compensation whatsoever. They could be doing other things: spending time with their familes, and other passions. And it is *work* to beta stories. It's probably harder being the editor than it is the author. (Especially when dealing with the ego thing)

So remember that you beta is a person. They have a Real Life. More often than not you'll never actually meet, so treat them with dignity and respect. Remember that it's not the same as being with family, and your longtime friends, where manners don't matter anymore. So manners matter!

Don't be emailing every other day, if you have a real concern wait a week. Then ask if life is going well. Don't be nosey, but let your Beta know that you understand life is crazy, and that if some issue (you don't need to know what it might be) is interfering then they should focus on that, not you. If you really want to know when you'll get your story back, KINDLY ask if they could estimate the time it will take.

If they don't have an answer, then you have to make a decision. Is the help your Beta gives you worth the wait? Do they understand your writing style and make your story the best it can be of your vision? Are you learning from them? Do they give you the confidence and the emotional support every author needs to present your hard work?

If the answers are mostly or all yes, be patient. If it takes a long time, so be it. It's worth it in the long run. If the answers are mostly no, and you notice personality conflicts, then bow out gracefully. Thank the other person, show them genuine gratitude. Don't dwell on the conflicts, and move on. Don't waste their precious time, or yours, on something that isn't working.

Fics

Silverbullet
Commodore
Commodore

Postby Silverbullet » Sat Feb 18, 2012 5:22 pm

Yes, Wg, I know that the Beta's and Editors are all volunteers. that they give up some of their personal time to do the editing. I appreciate that. I am not complaining.

SB

Return to “Non-Ship Fanfiction”