New Member Recruitment

Romulans, phase-inverters, friendships, OH MY!

Moderators: justTripn, Elessar, dark_rain

WarpGirl
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Re: New Member Recruitment

Postby WarpGirl » Fri Feb 24, 2012 10:15 pm

On the technical front, sometimes when the stories are posted, if there's any bold or underlined in the format it doesn't show up. I wish that could be fixed.
Some of these people haven't taken their medication. Let's see what happens now...
Donna Moss: The West Wing

And by people WG had herself in mind, but then the quote would have been ruined.
Fics
May We Together Become Greater Than The Sum Of Us
*Rights,* Wrongs, and Choices

Asso
Site Donor
Show On Map: No

Postby Asso » Fri Feb 24, 2012 10:17 pm

Elessar wrote:I think we're a tad bit OT, if we can get back to the question of 'expansion' in any way, shape, or degree - thanks. Or any significant technical issues?

Such things happen and if things happen, perhaps it is because it is right that they happen ;-) . And, on the other hand, in a sense we are still talking about 'expansion', or, better said, of possible 'types' of expansion. ;-) ;-)
However, I think I have already provided my opinion on this. :)
Well yes. I continue to write. And on Fanfiction.Net, for those who want, it is possible to cast a glance at my latest efforts. We arrived to
The Ears of the Elves, chapter Forty-four

And here is the beginning of the whole story.

But, I must say, you could also find something else on Fanfiction.net written by me. If you want.

Distracted
Site Donor

Postby Distracted » Fri Feb 24, 2012 11:30 pm

Yeah, Boss. I think you may have missed the part where we were discussing the pros and cons of widening our potential membership base by accepting ALL types of Enterprise fanfiction. We've already done a poll on that in the past and the consensus back then was that the majority of voting members wanted to preserve our currently narrower focus. It's been a while, but it's pretty clear that at least a couple of our more vocal members are still of that opinion. And as Alelou said earlier in this thread, the presence of such vehement objection by even a minority of the site's members would make such a coexistence very difficult to maintain, so I'm thinking it's best to table the idea and move on to other things.
Image sig by chrisis1033

WarpGirl
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Postby WarpGirl » Fri Feb 24, 2012 11:48 pm

Okay so if our focus perameters are going to remain the same, (and that is up to the Boss) then we have to get more creative. So I would say that focusing on TnT as individuals rather than a unit might get some more juices flowing. To define them strictly by their romantic relationship is stifling. So why not find a way to promote Main Engineering and The Library of P'Jem as major parts of the experience here.

Obviously, their would be some minor restrictions on pairing TnT with anyone else. Although I think Trip's canon flings should be allowed, and T'Pol's relationship with Koss should be fair game.
Some of these people haven't taken their medication. Let's see what happens now...

And by people WG had herself in mind, but then the quote would have been ruined.
Fics

Distracted
Site Donor

Postby Distracted » Sat Feb 25, 2012 12:08 am

Sounds pretty much like what we're already doing, but maybe we could advertise the other sections by linking them separately to related sites like TrekBBS. So instead of just clicking on the TriS icon, interested readers could also click directly to each of the other sections. Except maybe Decon. We'd need an intervening "Don't click on this unless you're over 18" warning for that one.

As far as the internal story formatting issues go, I'm pretty sure we've got those problems mostly licked, Warpgirl. Part of the key will be the story posters must actually notice when formatting doesn't carry over so we can fix the problem. If the stories don't get read beforehand, then the poster can't notice differences between the original and the posted documents. That's not going to happen any more. : )
Image sig by chrisis1033

WarpGirl
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Postby WarpGirl » Sat Feb 25, 2012 12:22 am

Well, I've been cruising the NCIS:LA section over at FF.net and I noticed that a few people have TnT stories in their favorites that aren't necessarily romances. And let's face it, Main Engineering and Library of P'Jem do not get a lot of traffic, even by devoted members. I think that there's got to be a way to make them more popular. And since we're also looking for new blood then I think that maybe catering to people who don't really need mush. Therefore, making these sections more prominent is a good idea.

Oh and thanks for fixing the formatting issues! :hug:

Fics

Silverbullet
Commodore
Commodore

Postby Silverbullet » Sat Feb 25, 2012 1:30 am

Interesting, Don't click on this section unless you are 18. How in Hell can we prove the person is 18 o rnot. That is like a red flag to some younger readers.

Why bother. Unless you can find a way of blocking nayone who is not 18 (ipossible) then drop that. Probably would keep the youngsters out better than the warning.

SB
I am Retired. Having a good time IS my job

Alelou
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral
Twitter username: @sheerhubris

Postby Alelou » Sat Feb 25, 2012 1:46 am

A robust site that is putting up quality fanfiction regularly (and discussing it in a somewhat civilized, welcoming manner) will prosper. Likewise, anything in the forum to spark new fanfiction and get it posted regularly will do you the most good. You can also probably entice more writers here if you discuss their work even if they're not posting it here. Rigil's stuff gets discussed here, and it seems to me he generally enjoys taking part in those discussions. I also remember being pointed to a discussion of my first fic here and slowly warming to the place (after lurking for awhile to see just how crazy these people were first, of course).

Frankly, I also consider it a rather petty double standard that discussing Rigil's stuff is okay in the forum here, but discussing any other fic that isn't posted here -- or isn't posted here yet -- is somehow breaking the rules.

If it makes you feel any better, ff.net's stats are totally crunked up this week, and logging in was impossible for awhile last week. They can be pretty maddening when they screw up, too, because no actual person ever communicates about it.

SB, the 18-or-older language is a courtesy to readers and parents and provides some legal protection for the site. No one assumes that any site can really keep people out if they want to lie when they click on it.
OMG, ANOTHER new chapter! NORTH STAR Chapter 28
Image.Image
Read opening chapters free at Amazon (US): The Awful Mess: A Love Story
Blog: Sheer Hubris Press / Twitter: @sheerhubris / Facebook: Sandra Hutchison

WarpGirl
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Postby WarpGirl » Sat Feb 25, 2012 1:52 am

I haven't had problems on FF.net, I re-activated my account and it's all been smooth.

Alelou color me confused there are several discussion threads on the boards for several authors here. I have one. Nobody has ever said it was against the rules.

Fics

Distracted
Site Donor

Postby Distracted » Sat Feb 25, 2012 2:00 am

I am also scratching my head. Since when is it a rule that fics which aren't posted here can't be discussed on the boards? If so, I've never heard of it. :dunno:
Image sig by chrisis1033

Alelou
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral
Twitter username: @sheerhubris

Postby Alelou » Sat Feb 25, 2012 2:06 am

I've been told that discussing my work wouldn't be welcome until it was posted on TS. I don't put up such threads myself, though, so I haven't exactly tested the matter.
OMG, ANOTHER new chapter! NORTH STAR Chapter 28
Image.Image
Read opening chapters free at Amazon (US): The Awful Mess: A Love Story
Blog: Sheer Hubris Press / Twitter: @sheerhubris / Facebook: Sandra Hutchison

WarpGirl
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Postby WarpGirl » Sat Feb 25, 2012 2:11 am

Well, it probably is fair to wait until you post the work here. I mean, for spoiler purposes. But you can recommend fics from other sites, post links and give basic summeries. Then when people click and read, you can talk about it.

Fics

Distracted
Site Donor

Postby Distracted » Sat Feb 25, 2012 2:17 am

If you are planning to eventually post a story here, then waiting until it's posted to start the discussion would make sense. That way more of our members would have read the story and can participate and you'll get more comments that will be saved with the story once it gets posted. If the discussion is over when the story gets posted you might not get any comments at all, and it's easy to lose track of a thread. Comments, on the other hand, go with the story to the archive. You can find them later to read them when you've had a bad day and you need cheering up (Wait... maybe nobody else does that besides me ;-) ).

On the other hand, if the story isn't going up here at TriS for one reason or another, I see no sense in delaying the discussion.
Image sig by chrisis1033

WarpGirl
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Postby WarpGirl » Sat Feb 25, 2012 2:22 am

Distracted wrote:I (Wait... maybe nobody else does that besides me ;-) ).

I do it!

Fics

Distracted
Site Donor

Postby Distracted » Sat Feb 25, 2012 2:45 am

Why am I not surprised? :lol:

Welcome to the SNCC (Society of Neurotic Comment Checkers). There's a 12 Step Program. I'm still on the first step. :roll:
Image sig by chrisis1033

Return to “Non-Ship Fanfiction”