New Member Recruitment

Romulans, phase-inverters, friendships, OH MY!

Moderators: justTripn, Elessar, dark_rain

WarpGirl
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Re: New Member Recruitment

Postby WarpGirl » Sat Feb 25, 2012 2:48 am

I only do it every few weeks or months. Sometimes I get new ones late in the game.
Some of these people haven't taken their medication. Let's see what happens now...
Donna Moss: The West Wing

And by people WG had herself in mind, but then the quote would have been ruined.
Fics
May We Together Become Greater Than The Sum Of Us
*Rights,* Wrongs, and Choices

Alelou
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral
Twitter username: @sheerhubris
Show On Map: No

Postby Alelou » Sat Feb 25, 2012 3:32 am

I'm sure I check as compulsively as anyone, at least when I first post something. Don't we all? I don't tend to recheck very often, though. I'm amazed if I stumble across a new review on an old story; it almost never happens.

There are a few people who post comments here who don't at ff.net, but mostly it's the same generous folks doing it all over again, (which makes me feel a little guilty at the trouble they are going to, not that I don't very much appreciate it). The reality is that it's old news in second run, so I'm not too worried about possibly reducing the comments here. If it weren't for the fact that I know one or two people who read here really do avoid ff.net for various reasons, I probably wouldn't bother at all.
OMG, ANOTHER new chapter! NORTH STAR Chapter 28
Image.Image
Read opening chapters free at Amazon (US): The Awful Mess: A Love Story
Blog: Sheer Hubris Press / Twitter: @sheerhubris / Facebook: Sandra Hutchison

putaro
Captain
Captain

Postby putaro » Sat Feb 25, 2012 6:11 am

Distracted wrote:Why am I not surprised? :lol:

Welcome to the SNCC (Society of Neurotic Comment Checkers). There's a 12 Step Program. I'm still on the first step. :roll:

Is that the step where you check for comments?

Asso
Site Donor

Postby Asso » Sat Feb 25, 2012 8:44 am

WarpGirl wrote:Okay so if our focus perameters are going to remain the same, (and that is up to the Boss) then we have to get more creative. So I would say that focusing on TnT as individuals rather than a unit might get some more juices flowing. To define them strictly by their romantic relationship is stifling. So why not find a way to promote Main Engineering and The Library of P'Jem as major parts of the experience here.

Obviously, their would be some minor restrictions on pairing TnT with anyone else. Although I think Trip's canon flings should be allowed, and T'Pol's relationship with Koss should be fair game.

Why doesn't it surprise me not to think exactly the same way? 8)
Well yes. I continue to write. And on Fanfiction.Net, for those who want, it is possible to cast a glance at my latest efforts. We arrived to
The Ears of the Elves, chapter Forty-four

And here is the beginning of the whole story.

But, I must say, you could also find something else on Fanfiction.net written by me. If you want.

Kotik

Postby Kotik » Sat Feb 25, 2012 10:09 am

I agree that non-romantic sections, like Library of P'Jem would surely profit from a lick of promotion. Another thing that saddens me is the almost complete dry-up of competitions. We used to have word-prompt challenges over here, which produced some of the best stuff, like evcake's hillarious Neighbour series. Since those dried up, when I took over from Aquarius after she left, I suppose my prompts weren't the best ones. Maybe we could revive that, if someone else tried his/her hand at handing out the monthly prompt. Of course other competitions, like holliday fic exchages etc would help breath new life into our site as well, IMHO.

I think, although our forum has gotten a bit quiter that it used to be, we're still in reasonably good shape compared to what I've seen in other forums, where whole subforums lie dormant for months. I think we need to encourage more writers to produce new stuff and we need to attract new authors, which is why I think that providing more sophisticated 'author services' in the archive may be a big help in that.

Another thing to think about, would be trying to encourage more authors to post their older work here. We still don't have HopefulRomantic's Reconnecting series in our archive, although she recently re-posted it at DE and is still active over there and on TrekBBS and maybe we can get hold of other classical authors like Drogna, TLR, Ragua etc. There's so much stuff on HoT for instance that would make a brilliant addition to our site, especially since we could use more of the epics. With all respect to the drabble enthusiast, I prefer the multi-chaptered work, which I can waste hours on enjoying. I'm sure I'm not the only one.

WarpGirl
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Postby WarpGirl » Sat Feb 25, 2012 2:26 pm

Asso wrote:Why doesn't it surprise me not to think exactly the same way? 8)

Hey, we're supposed to come up with ideas. I don't ask anyone to accept them or agree with them, I'm just trying to help. I don't even think this site is dying. Anyway I wasn't saying that people should write actual romances between TnT and their other "options" but I don't think those relationships cannot be explored on this site either. They're important to the characters. Eventually all of those relationships ended. So as long as nobody writes a happy ending for Trip and Princess Fishstick, or T'Pol and Koss, then it should be perfectly accectable for this site. Nobody would be forced to read them! There are lots of stories I don't read here.
Some of these people haven't taken their medication. Let's see what happens now...

And by people WG had herself in mind, but then the quote would have been ruined.
Fics

panyasan
Commodore
Commodore

Postby panyasan » Sat Feb 25, 2012 2:33 pm

I don't think there was much of a relationship between T'Pol and Koss or Trip and Fishstick for that matter (in my definition of relationship any way) the first one being a very complicated engagement and the second more a fling I never understood. But T'Pol's interaction with Koss is a very interesting one. There have been stories about T'Pol and Koss in several stories on this site. In fact, Koss and Fishstick are going to play a role in my story T'Pol of Vulcan. (I wish canon would aloud me to pair Koss and Fishstick up - a good way to get ride of them both! :lol: )
Love is a verb.

Chapter 17 of Word of Ice is up!

https://www.fanfiction.net/s/8522099/17/World-of-Ice

The Naked Truth and other necessities of life

https://www.fanfiction.net/s/12056258/1 ... es-of-life

WarpGirl
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Postby WarpGirl » Sat Feb 25, 2012 2:41 pm

I didn't say they were "good" relationships. But why shouldn't someone be able to write a story explaining why Trip decided to have a fling with Princess Fishstick, or how he felt about Liana, and Ah'len, without T'Pol getting in there?

Why shouldn't there be stories dealing with T'Pol and Koss without Trip in it? It was extremely obvious that there were issues there, even before Trip came into her life.

I don't think stories like this go contrary to the aims of this site so long as they are kept within the bounderies of what this site promotes.

Fics

panyasan
Commodore
Commodore

Postby panyasan » Sat Feb 25, 2012 2:58 pm

Eeehhh.. I just told you I am writing a story which has an amount of Koss-T'Pol -relationship (BTW before and after meeting Trip). And of course you can write about Trip's friendship with Liana or his fling with Fishstick and his meeting with Ah'len. But I guess people expect a little TnT even in those kind of stories - on a TnT site.
Love is a verb.

WarpGirl
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Postby WarpGirl » Sat Feb 25, 2012 3:03 pm

Oh Panyasan, I wasn't referring to your work or opinions specifically. I'm just trying to explain that it might be an idea to diversify a little bit so that people who don't need TnT mush in every single story might feel a bit more welcome.

Fics

panyasan
Commodore
Commodore

Postby panyasan » Sat Feb 25, 2012 3:27 pm

Based on my own personal preferences, I agree that for example stories about Trip's friendship with Malcolm and Jon or T'Pol's relationship with Hoshi or Vulcan stories may be a nice addition of the stories already be published.
As for the TnT-stories, I don't think most stories are overflowing with mush. It depends on the writer and on the development of the story. Just like food, variation in different styles and situations makes you "eat" a story.
Love is a verb.

WarpGirl
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Postby WarpGirl » Sat Feb 25, 2012 3:34 pm

You're right, that not all the stories here are overflowing with mush. I didn't intend to imply I thought they were. All I meant was that it might be a good idea to have more stories without an overt romantic slant.

Fics

Asso
Site Donor

Postby Asso » Sat Feb 25, 2012 7:46 pm

WarpGirl wrote:
Asso wrote:Why doesn't it surprise me not to think exactly the same way? 8)

Hey, we're supposed to come up with ideas. I don't ask anyone to accept them or agree with them, I'm just trying to help. I don't even think this site is dying. Anyway I wasn't saying that people should write actual romances between TnT and their other "options" but I don't think those relationships cannot be explored on this site either. They're important to the characters. Eventually all of those relationships ended. So as long as nobody writes a happy ending for Trip and Princess Fishstick, or T'Pol and Koss, then it should be perfectly accectable for this site. Nobody would be forced to read them! There are lots of stories I don't read here.

Perhaps it is true that Italians have some difficulty getting into the spirit of what is called British Humour, but don't you think Italians have their own sense of humour?
Marc Chagall- Job Disconsolate
Well yes. I continue to write. And on Fanfiction.Net, for those who want, it is possible to cast a glance at my latest efforts. We arrived to
The Ears of the Elves, chapter Forty-four

And here is the beginning of the whole story.

But, I must say, you could also find something else on Fanfiction.net written by me. If you want.

WarpGirl
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Postby WarpGirl » Sat Feb 25, 2012 7:50 pm

God knows I'm not British, I'm from the USA.

Fics

Alelou
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral
Twitter username: @sheerhubris

Postby Alelou » Sat Feb 25, 2012 7:59 pm

Chagall was no Italian. Or is that an Italian joke about the economy?

(Perhaps that's an Austerity Fairy in the background.)
OMG, ANOTHER new chapter! NORTH STAR Chapter 28
Image.Image
Read opening chapters free at Amazon (US): The Awful Mess: A Love Story
Blog: Sheer Hubris Press / Twitter: @sheerhubris / Facebook: Sandra Hutchison

Return to “Non-Ship Fanfiction”